It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran a threat to the US? A thought experiment.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
So, after continously hearing how much of a threat Iran is to the US(mostly from the mainstream) I thought it would be interesting to consider the situation from the perspective of Iran.

Here is an image of the current US military presence in the middle east...note this only accounts for our bases, not our allies.

This got to thinking how it must feel to be surrounded by a country, that is as hostile as the US is towards Iran(and most of the middle east).

Here below is a picture of North America...I've adjusted it slightly.

Each of the black marks I've made on this map would represent a potential Iranian base in this experiment...note that I have only placed the same number of bases that we currently have around Iran.

The question I have is....how would we(the american public) feel, if we were in their shoes? Surrounded by an enemy that uses fear of retaliation, and other strong arm tatics...

edit on 4-3-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: adjusted map size...

edit on 4-3-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
You make a powerful case and bravo on the graphics.

I dare say we'd feel downright boxed in and under siege 24/7 if we had bases around us and a power whose leaders constantly talked about how we needed attacked or raided to teach us a lesson or whatever the flavor of the week is for reasoning.

I suppose....when looked at that way...Iran does kinda have a point about feeling like their days are numbered for war no matter what they do or how they could change their approach and cooperate. Leaves ya feeling kinda helpless, huh?
edit on 4-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
How much weight should we give to the feelings of the citizens? They don't seem to affect American policy much, I would suspect they affect Iranian policies even less.

Besides, feelings don't matter. A government has to work with the facts on hand. Like it or not, there is a significant American presence in the Middle East, and Iran (and everybody else) needs to adjust their behavior accordingly.

If we had two hostile countries on our borders, we would have to decide "Do we do what they want, or do we prepare to fight?" That's Iran's choice, too.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Hmm,
In this scenario and If I was President/King. I would....

1. Have massive missile border defense and a large military/air/naval force.
2. Be in constant yellow alert.
3. Be very protective of limited national resources.
4. Build nukes as a deterrent.
5. Build inter-continental missiles for retaliatory/deterrent purposes.
6. Have a compulsory military conscription in place to have my people ready for the worst possible outcome.
7. Have my people constantly educated on the threat on our borders.
8. Limit civil liberties as a precaution to possible infiltration of sensitive assets/state secrets etc.
9. Make as many like minded/friends as possible as potential allies.
10. Promote nationalist pride to imbed patriotism.
11. Be paranoid 24/7.
12. Try and talk my way out of this dilemma I somehow have found my way into.

I think any nation would do likewise.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
How much weight should we give to the feelings of the citizens? They don't seem to affect American policy much, I would suspect they affect Iranian policies even less.

I think your missing the point here...

Like it or not, there is a significant American presence in the Middle East, and Iran (and everybody else) needs to adjust their behavior accordingly.

If we had two hostile countries on our borders, we would have to decide "Do we do what they want, or do we prepare to fight?" That's Iran's choice, too.

So the fact that it's the US that is founding these bases, and declaring war on nearly every other country in the region means nothing?

Might makes right, eh?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Thats an interesting map. So pretty much any place even a few US service men are gets tagged as a US base? One US base consists of few advisors, another has a signal unit, another a couple transport aircraft, another a transition hub. It even has so called bases over a thousand miles away. Of course lets not let that get in the way of the fun. If I was a nation and almost every nation around me for thousands of miles was willing to let its bases be used to attack my nation, then the my first response would be to wonder just what had we been doing to turn the entire planet against us.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
they aren't a threat to us, but we are sure as a hell a threat to them.
and the threat to us will only grow because of it.

we are the new nazi germany that half the world wants to take out. eventually they will try.
edit on 4-3-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
A star for presenting this toxic subject in such a direct and graphic way. Your post asks a simple question that I agree needs to be addressed. It is my opinion that most Americans would be resentful and defiant if we were faced with such a situation. I know I would be.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
Thats an interesting map. So pretty much any place even a few US service men are gets tagged as a US base? One US base consists of few advisors, another has a signal unit, another a couple transport aircraft, another a transition hub.

Whereas in the US we are told that every petty group of fanatics, or nutty criminals is actually part of some multinational muslim effort to screw us over?

In this thread I am attempting to point out the hypocrisy of portraying Iran as a threat, when as I said earlier.... the US is "conducting operations" in almost every nation around them, and constantly pushing for more war in the region... we have them backed into a corner with no way out, but they are the threat?

Feel free to "correct" my North American map to only represent our "major" bases.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
This video explains it all.
I wish people would educated themselves.(This statement is not directed at anyone on this page.)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

Dear Shark_Feeder,

Of course, I could be missing the point, but I'm going to need more help in seeing what the point is.

So the fact that it's the US that is founding these bases, and declaring war on nearly every other country in the region means nothing?
It doesn't mean much. If Iran is surrounded by hostile nations, why would it care what hostile nations were surrounding it? The more countries that the hostile nation declared war on, the more spread out they would be, and that would be a consideration. But other than that, no.

No matter who is threatening Iran, it has to decide if it is able to defend itself, if it is willing to accept war. If war is unthinkable, then all Iran can do is make the best deal it can. If you think you can survive a war, and choose that path, then you have to get prepared. (Which is what it looks like Iran might be doing.)

Might doesn't make right, but it usually makes victory. Unless, perhaps, you see the UN stepping in to relieve the pressure on Iran?

In the thought experiment as proposed, I think our government would be concerned and would decide to take the go to war path, instead of the let's make a deal route.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Unless, perhaps, you see the UN stepping in to relieve the pressure on Iran?

Perhaps in my naitivity, I am hoping that maybe one day the american public might put a stop to the corporate war machine that we now label government.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
If it wasnt so sad it would b fricken hilarious how hypocritical all the warmongers are
"This country is a threat to our freedom and way of life, lets attack em before they attack us"

Ironic but America is pretty much the biggest threat to world peace that has ever existed.

Well thought out and put together thread S&F

Unfortunately I doubt it will change anyones minds

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomXisntXFree

It's pretty twisted how much the US has screwed around with Iran over the years isn't it?

Imagine if on top of military operations in Canada and Mexico for a decade, they were behind the assasinations of JFK and MLK?

I can't stand double standards... I just want the general public to understand how messed up our leaders are.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Iran a threat to the US?

Short answer no.

Currently the United States has first strike and second strike capability.
We can destroy Iran if we really wanted to.

The only issue with Iran is their oil. We should of never went in there in the 50's to depose their government.
This whole issue is the UK's fault. We would never be in this situation if the nationalization of bp didn't happen.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Besides, feelings don't matter. A government has to work with the facts on hand. Like it or not, there is a significant American presence in the Middle East, and Iran (and everybody else) needs to adjust their behavior accordingly.

Im not sure if you are just stating the facts as they pretty much are or if you actually approve of the above but its that type of arrogance and ignorance that makes the world (even your allies) hate you.

"America is here, do what we want or its sanctions/bombs for you"

I really hope Americans themselves do something about their runaway war machine of a government coz if they dont eventually the world will

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
this is the same question asked of Germany in 37 is it a threat to Europe? well we all know what Germany did in 38' should we wait and see what the next 2-3 years brings or should we act now? this should be the question

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Iranian propaganda BS. Another extremist left wing perspective. Been done to death already. The Iranian regime are terrorists who are going to get their own and lot of other people killed. The blood will be on their hands. Even Russia is backing away from them.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
this is the same question asked of Germany in 37 is it a threat to Europe? well we all know what Germany did in 38' should we wait and see what the next 2-3 years brings or should we act now? this should be the question

Are you F****** kidding me?!

Pre-emptive war because you don't like the culture? Or is it that they won't bow to our demands? Because they don't like Israel or us a whole lot?

I suggest you google The Reichstag Fire...check it out, and get back to me on who is acting like the Nazi's...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder
So, after continously hearing how much of a threat Iran is to the US(mostly from the mainstream) I thought it would be interesting to consider the situation from the perspective of Iran.

Here is an image of the current US military presence in the middle east...note this only accounts for our bases, not our allies.

This got to thinking how it must feel to be surrounded by a country, that is as hostile as the US is towards Iran(and most of the middle east).

Here below is a picture of North America...I've adjusted it slightly.

Each of the black marks I've made on this map would represent a potential Iranian base in this experiment...note that I have only placed the same number of bases that we currently have around Iran.

The question I have is....how would we(the american public) feel, if we were in their shoes? Surrounded by an enemy that uses fear of retaliation, and other strong arm tatics...

edit on 4-3-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: adjusted map size...

edit on 4-3-2012 by Shark_Feeder because: (no reason given)

Why are you causing trouble? you know Iran is dangerous and that is why our presence is need in the middle east.
We are just spreading freedom and democracy is all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join