It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spell Checker

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
just a thought that may be implemented at some stage....when posting many times one is in a hurry or you may have fat fingers...or small keys or using a mobile for entry.....I was wondering if a spell checker would be helpful when inputting posts....as nothing is more annoying than when another member says.....Oh they can't even spell so therefore your post's do not count as valid.....

But not only that...not all people on here have english as their first language...so spelling is not a high point...even though their intelligence is well worth a listen to.

I mean even on my best of days i may spell something incorrectly.(heaven forbid)...I haven't any trouble in defending myself on this issue...but it would seem to me...It just might help to stop some irrelevant arguments...not sure but it is a thought....and i am not sure how hard it would be to incorporate a spell checker but hey it might not hurt.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Firefox + spellchecker add on =

Works pretty well in my opinion.

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Whoa, you don't need a spellchecker add-on for Firefox, it's already included:

Edit-----Preferences-----Advanced------check spelling as I type.

Same with IE though I can't remember exactly how to get there, it is under the Tools function.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
cheers for the heads up.....

glad to know and it may help others on here for us who did not know of these add ons...

looking for the IE add on now.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
ok found a third party checker for IE9

SPECKIE

FREE SPELLCHECKER FOR IE9

click download in left column....
then when new page comes up...click the BLUE dowload speckie under the flags

cheers people
edit on 123131p://f26Sunday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yeah my bad. I have it as an extension under firefox called : United states English spellchecker 5.0.1

I have no idea how it got there but I have been using it for ages. It really works great for me (unless you guys are now going to tell me that you haven't been able to understand a word of what I have been saying all this time..??)

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Whuh...Huh?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

lol...was that french that you were just using there.....good thing i could understand your french though or i might have been in trouble.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is great program, once installed just right click on any text..

iespell.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thanks for that.....appreciated...the things you learn just by not being afraid to ask....and who says you can't teach an old dawg new tricks..... the speckie is working great......as it has underlined dawg and it's own word Speckie since it is not a recognized spelling......i will stick with speckie for now....but i have book marked your iespell and i will check it out and tell you what it think of it.

I hope others will check these out for their own use......damn might have to go look for a grammar checker now...then i will have no excuses for making human errors.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

I've tried to start a discussion about this in the past but it was shot down by members who feel that this isn't a grammar class, etc.

Then again, English may not be the first language of some of those posters. They may also be dyslexic. There's no way to know behind a computer screen.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Nice thread op!
I think all of us gets stuck at times for different reasons with spelling.
Good to know about these addons!!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Chrome also has a spell checker. It isn't even an add-on anymore though you may need to enable it.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I have now searched fairly thoroughly for a grammar checker for IE but to no avail....but i must say that Speckie is working a treat as i try to fool it...but it does keep me on the straight and narrow....thanks to you all for giving this helpful info on the direction i should look for these add ons.....I had used firefox before as well as chrome and Opera.....but each one had it's own little quirks when viewing web pages....Flash issues....and such....but i do like some of the feature rich elements that comes with firefox.....and chrome i used ages ago when it first appeared...so i should try and give it another shot as i am sure the bugs from the entry have been sorted out.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Spell checker I can see the reason for having it incorporated into your browser, people make the occasional mistakes, we are only human. I have huge brawler hands meant to wrap around throats not to type on keyboards so I know what you mean.

...but a grammar checker? You are either one of the following:

1.) Non-American

or

2.) Hooked on some serious PHONICS!

In either case you should not be posting due to making the most egregious offence of Non-Compliance to COMMON COURTESY.
edit on 5-3-2012 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
nice find thanks i am dyslexic it takes ages to write a piece . my fav button used to be delete thanks star to you bud

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by maestromason

LOL....actually i am pretty good with spelling and grammar....but i just noticed...sometimes in threads if you make a mistake on either or.....you could be all of a suddenly classed as less than intelligent for getting some minor error in presentation wrong......For some reason if one cannot spell or organize thoughts onto page in a proper fashion it could be use to make your two sense(cents) worth not as valuable .......LOL

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

I just downloaded Spekie since my old favorite ieSpell doesn't seem to work with ie9 but Spekie deosn't work either. It says it's enabled in my add ons but it doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

Or, does anyone know where I can find ieSpell for ie9?

Thanks...

Springer...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Whoa, you don't need a spellchecker add-on for Firefox, it's already included:

Edit-----Preferences-----Advanced------check spelling as I type.

Same with IE though I can't remember exactly how to get there, it is under the Tools function.

It's easier than that with Firefox. Type in the url bar:
about:config
Press Enter.
Type in "layout.spellcheckDefault" without quote tags.
Make the integer "2" instead of the default "1."
Now you have spell check! Using Windows? Go here and install:
United States English Spellchecker
(other dictionaries available)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Looks like it ieSpell has problems with IE 9.

Some people have had some luck by fully uninstalling it and then reinstalling.

Did you have it installed in IE 8 and then upgrade to IE 9?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join