It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this stone sphere falling from the sky? Surely not a meteorit...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I just saw this French paper talking about an odd stone sphere that a guy found on a field.

Here's the translation from the French article:

This is a very strange discovery that a resident of Maimbeville, Alain Defacq, did, a few days ago, in a field, "at at least one meter deep."
A discovery that he carefully kept off a plastic bag before saying. "I do not know what it is ... A meteorite maybe?"
The stone weight 1 Kgs (2.2 Lbs) and have the exact shape and diameter of a petanque ball. "But it's made of stone" he said.
He did some research online and wasn't able to identify the object.
"I was walking along a field when I heard a sudden noise in the vicinity, he said. I then saw some steam escaping from a hole in the ground. I put my arm to try to recover what was at the bottom, but as I felt it was hot, I decided to wait and come back later. When I came back and succeed of taking it out, it was full of soil.
I cleaned it and then realized it was a completely round stone. Well, not quite as it has a more flattened level surface, where it struck the ground," said Alain Defacq.

French original source

IMO, there's no way it could be a meteorite as it doesn't have any fusion crust (for what we can see from the picture though) and I'm not aware of any round-shaped meteorite.

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The article is in French I think and I can't read French.
Interesting though.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust
Thoughts?

It does not seem scorched, so if it fell from a higher elevation it would show signs of re entry UNLESS its made of some other MATERIAL. With that I say I will observe more data on the object to see where it came from if from a high elevation but not in space.

Outta box its ELEnin debris
or debris from satellite craft falling.

good find

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I put my arm to try to recover what was at the bottom, but as I felt it was hot, I decided to wait and come back later

Sure thing buddy, just leave your 'meteorite' there, and wait until someone else is going to take it.
I would never do that, lol. . . I would stay at the "steaming hole" with an fork, just to scare other away from it, telling them it is mine.

Sorry, I don't buy this mans story, he seems like an hoaxer.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Let's hope it isn't some airplane or jumbo-jet letting some stool loose.
My thoughts are that is should be tested to see exactly what material it is.
Or if it is from earthly origin...

Although it does look like an old cannonball.
Maybe a neighbor was practicing with an old cannon.

Cool find.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

elevenaugust,
Thank you for sharing this find! I do hope some one who knows French fluently will enlighten us further! Great find..I do wonder what it is, and what it is made out of because of the condition its in. This one is smaller than the metal ball in Brazil, but I will say a lot of things have been falling from the sky lately!!
It's fascinating

Thank you for your share elevenaugust!!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I REALLY wish that people would take pictures of the impact site. That alone can speak volumes.

So hey all you readers out there: take a picture of the object before you pick it up! It can either help dispel things, or even bring up new questions.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Yeah, if there was a convincing picture of the alleged "impact" site I would be more prone to believing the dude. Seeing as there aren't any pictures other than the dude holding it, skepticism takes over.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

post by elevenaugust
IMO, there's no way it could be a meteorite as it doesn't have any fusion crust (for what we can see from the picture though) and I'm not aware of any round-shaped meteorite.

Agreed , it looks more archeological than astronomical , almost like a Medieval stone cannon ball .

15th century granite cannonball

www.paleodirect.com...

edit on 29-2-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

link   
It looks for all the world like a stone cannonball, a bit out of time though.

link   

This man is just an everyday Joe, right? So of course we're not expecting him to identify it. What means or method is he trying to get this identified though? Seems this newspaper deemed this worthy enough to print. Is this a tabloid paper or the real kind that's filtered?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
My first thoughts was someone fired a home made cannon and that was the projectile. Maybe someone close to him has some stone cutting equiptment and is good at making stone balls, and also has a cannon, or made one for lulz. The mention of a "hole" instead of a crater, in the article, leads me to think that this didn't fall from a great height.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
....this needs to be moved to hoax

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The cannon ball issue is he stated it was alittle flattened on one side from impact??? in dirt?
edit on 2/29/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaLyps0
....this needs to be moved to hoax

I'm sad but glad I'm not alone because this ain't resonating with me at all. Seems hokey. Seems staged. But then again, a lot gets lost in the translation. So, who knows.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
The cannon ball issue is he stated it was alittle flattened on one side from impact??? in dirt?
edit on 2/29/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

Yeah. Weill there goes that theory unless it was made in China and purchased at Walmart

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

This man is just an everyday Joe, right? So of course we're not expecting him to identify it. What means or method is he trying to get this identified though? Seems this newspaper deemed this worthy enough to print. Is this a tabloid paper or the real kind that's filtered?

No, this is not a tabloid paper, but rather a local newspaper.
One thing about the man: he gives its real name as he's on French White Pages. Let's see if someone in France (and that lives closer to him than me!!
) will take the investigation up...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
right, this has got to be it, and is my last attempt at a guess.

There's a garden centre nearby, and it has a big pile of these balls y'see. (for decorative purposes) and a magpie was sitting a'top of the pile. Someone walked up the to pile of balls to purchase some, and startled the magpie. as the startled magpie took off, it knocked the ball it was on, which started to tumble down the pile it was once the king of. It bounces off, from about 46 inches from the deck, and lands on the approaching customers foot, who yelps and starts to fall backwards, flailing his arms as he goes. (now we move into slomo) As the guy is falling, still making windmil motions with his arms, the ball rolls off his foot, and onto a pallet, slightly slanted to one side as it's on uneven ground, and rolls onto a plank, which is precariously balanced on some bricks, as it slowly meanders its way to the end of the plank, our poor broken toed customer falls (still in slomo btw) onto the other end of the plank, and like somebody (like sideshow bob) stepping on a rake, catapults the ball up into the air, and into the chimney of a nearby furnace. Now, for reasons I've not quite fandangled yet (but it was probably aliens) this made the furnace like a pressure cooker, and once the pressure was great enough, it shot the small garden ornament up and down into this guys field.

There, case solved. I'm going home

edit on 29/2/2012 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Really outside the box thinking.....the walls between dimensions are getting pretty thin in some places....any old thing can make it through.....personally, I'm waiting for gold doubloons to rain down on my property....

Des

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

i'm going with cannonball/hoax

fortunately, it's too small to be an Ovoid

we're safe then. phew!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join