It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Announces Diplomatic Breakthrough with North Korea on Nukes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/u-announces-diplomatic-breakthrough-north-korea-152331635.html

The United States announced a stunning diplomatic breakthrough with North Korea Wednesday.

"To improve the atmosphere for dialogue and demonstrate its commitment to denuclearization, the DPRK has agreed to implement a moratorium on long-range missile launches, nuclear tests and nuclear activities at Yongbyon, including uranium enrichment activities," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said in a press statement Wednesday. "The DPRK has also agreed to the return of IAEA inspectors to verify and monitor the moratorium on uranium enrichment activities at Yongbyon and confirm the disablement of the 5-MW reactor and associated facilities."

In return, the United States will "move forward with our proposed package of 240,000 metric tons of nutritional assistance along with the intensive monitoring required for the delivery of such assistance," she said.

Davies' Feb. 23-24 discussions in Beijing asserted several points, Nuland's statement said. Among them, "the United States reaffirms that it does not have hostile intent toward the DPRK," and that U.S. sanctions are not targeted against the livelihood of the North Korean people.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Oh what a tangled web we weave.

It wasn't very long ago that the US and Donald Rumsfeld through ABB gave NK 200 million dollars and 2 nuclear reactors in exchange for a promise to end their nuclear weapon ambitions. We sent Westinghouse scientists to NK to implement a training course to operate the reactors. Soon after Pyongyang confessed to having a secret uranium program, kicked inspectors out, and said it would start making plutonium.

Now we are giving them 240,000 tons of food when millions of Americans are starving. Will they keep their promise? I don't think that is the point.

This is a much deeper issue than is being let on.
edit on 29-2-2012 by METACOMET because: fx

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

Inelieve the new leader Kim Jr. Was schooled in the west and unlike his father realizes the west is no threat to their country ( no oil ) . I think his big problem will be all the old school generals , if i was him I would clean house of all those war mongers and start anew with their southern brothers.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Hahaha,

Ok, we stop nuke tests and you send us your GM food so we can grow tenticles.

Sounds like a good deal for the US.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
Will they keep their promise? I don't think that is the point.

I think that kinda is the point though...at least a vaild concern. And it's not confined to just with North Korea, but our overall foreign policy in general.

How often are we gonna provide "A" to "B" to try to alleviate /stop / prevent "C", to just have "B" go back on their word and the whole thing starts over again.

It’s a vicious cycle that eventually will bleed America dry.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

I wish that being educated in the west was more reassuring, but it isn't. Most 2-bit dictators are educated in the west. Bashar al-Assad of Syria was educated in the west to be an optometrist of all things. Look at him now.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Go ahead u.s send those fools gmo foods

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaLyps0
Go ahead u.s send those fools gmo foods

You have to buy it first, how nice of you

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Of course the Government
is going to keep its promise
to a foreign enemy.

The only thing they do not
keep their word on is when
they are promising the American
public.

North Korea is not going
to stop its nuclear activity.
This is more show, NK pulls this
crap right when they are on the
edge of collapse and rioting from their
people. More political folly, something to
wave around like they did something
when they have not done jack crap.
edit on 29-2-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Absurd to think that we are falling for this terrorist type threat and giving them food... while people in our own effing country are going hungry.

This one really kills me.

edit: this happened before with his daddy and reactors... and of course we see how that worked out.
And of course doesn't it seemed stupid as hell that they would even be developing things like this if they can't feed their own population I honestly believe they deserve to starve if they can be this dumb and get away with it.

edit on 29-2-2012 by KryptKeeper because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-2-2012 by KryptKeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by KryptKeeper

Terrorist-type threat? The DPRK already has nukes, and aside from their usual bluff and bluster on the world stage going back years, I'm not aware of them having threatened anyone (South Korea aside, who is caught up in constant antagonized relationship with them, frequently war-gaming on a disputed island and firing munitions *toward* - not at - the North) in quite some time, since we started leaving them alone after they successfully tested their nukes.

And speaking of starving americans - our country does honestly have plenty of its own wealth and ability to take care of things here at home, but we opt for overseas adventurism and a host of other things instead...while North Koreans are starving to the point of actually engaging in cannibalism and various other unsavory things due to TRUE poor conditions. Granted, that centers in good part on unwise decisions of their leaders as well, but fair's fair to understand the true situation.

Take care.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I'm very happy to share food with those starving people. Hopefully lil Kim's son has better sense than he, and is more open to taking some small steps to join the world.

I hope they don't tell the people Kimmy is taking care of them from the grave...........

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
They must be seriously desperate to allow this.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It would seem since daddy passed away Kim Jhong Un is making some strives to improve his new country.

When you have more nukes then food you really have to pick and choose your priorities lol. Good move for them. It's about time N. Korea joins the rest of the world.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
To be honest its a bit of a bargain compared to the cost of fighting a 2nd Korean War.

Theres no way NK situation doesn't eventually end in a bloodbath, but it doesn't have to be this week.

Throw the crazy rottweiler a bone and keep it quiet in the corner for a while. :-)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Let's see here.

North Korea agreed to suspend nuclear weapons tests

Which were failed anyway.

and uranium enrichment

You can do nukes using enriched uranium (something which they have accepted to suspend) and using plutonium (which they can do and isn't part of the deal of suspending)...

So NKorea can STILL get nuclear material for nukes even with this ``agreement`` since plutonium is not covered.

and allow international inspectors to monitor activities at its main nuclear complex, the North’s official news agency and the State Department announced on Wednesday.

Just one complex. They have more than one.

North Korea also agreed on a moratorium on launchings of long-range missiles, which have in the past raised military tensions in South Korea and Japan.

Their missiles suck... and it doesn't ban the launch of medium and short range missiles.

And let's see what happened in the past :

North Korea has agreed in the past to halt its nuclear program, only to back out, demanding more concessions or accusing the United States of reneging on its obligations.

Ah yes.

And why do they do a deal right now? What's coming up in April? Ah yes, the 100 years anniversary of Kim Il Sung... very important anniversary... and they need the food to cement the new leader's power among the population.

The timing is also important for Mr. Kim, analysts said, because his father had declared this would be a breakout year for North Korea, when its economy would take off and the country would stage elaborate national celebrations. The celebrations will mark the 100-year anniversary of the birth of Kim Il-sung, the nation’s founder and Kim Jong-un’s grandfather.

Food aid — and better international relations that could lead to economic support — are considered critical for the country’s leaders to be able to stage the celebrations with the lavishness their people have come to expect.

This is just for show.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
It would seem since daddy passed away Kim Jhong Un is making some strives to improve his new country.

When you have more nukes then food you really have to pick and choose your priorities lol. Good move for them. It's about time N. Korea joins the rest of the world.

-SAP-

They wont and the US doesn't even expect them to.

We GAVE them the reactors.

We GAVE their nuclear scientists training.

We GAVE them missile technology which they then export to other hostile nations

We GAVE them the money they used to build their nukes

We GAVE them free oil

We GAVE them food so their government would not collapse due to starvation of their people.

The North Korean "threat" is simply a justification for U.S. military spending, the presence of U.S. troops in Asia, a new theater missile defense system, and to keep our bases in Japan.

That is what I meant when I said this goes deeper. NK is a nuclear capable dictatorship because that is the way US foreign policy wants it.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This is WIN WIN for the Obama administration. On the outside, it looks as though he has made a breakthrough where others have failed. Cutting back on nukes, good deal eh. The truth however, is that this was made so the administration looks good, at the same time US taxpayers will pay for all that food, with the profit I'm sure going to Obama's cash cow Monsanto. WIN WIN LOSE....US taxpayers being the losers of course. Will NK honour its committment, probally not, but that isnt REALLY what this is about is it?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

-SAP-

They wont and the US doesn't even expect them to.

We GAVE them the reactors.

We GAVE their nuclear scientists training.

We GAVE them missile technology which they then export to other hostile nations

We GAVE them the money they used to build their nukes

We GAVE them free oil

We GAVE them food so their government would not collapse due to starvation of their people.

The North Korean "threat" is simply a justification for U.S. military spending, the presence of U.S. troops in Asia, a new theater missile defense system, and to keep our bases in Japan.

That is what I meant when I said this goes deeper. NK is a nuclear capable dictatorship because that is the way US foreign policy wants it.

I don't disagree with that. I was just saying there are choices to be made, and yes the U.S wants them to be in the situation they are in. America giving them aid makes America look good. It's all politics thats all.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This is what ticks me off: we can ship 240k metric tons to freaking North Korea, but yet we have starving Americans.

I think we should pass a Federal Law that stipulates ANY amount of aide sent to ANY foreign country be matched with aide to US citizens. Period.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join