It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to earn $60,000... here's how: hack Google!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Google’s Giving $60,000 to Whoever Can Exploit Chrome
Gizmodo.com

Google will hand out prizes of $60,000, $40,000, and $20,000 for contestants able to remotely commandeer a fully-patched browser running on Windows 7. Finding a "Full Chrome Exploit," obtaining user account persistence using only bugs in the browser itself will net the $60k prize. Using webkits, flash, or a driver-based exploit can only earn the lesser amounts.

"While we're proud of Chrome's leading track record in past competitions, the fact is that not receiving exploits means that it's harder to learn and improve," wrote members of the Google Chrome security team in a post on Monday. "To maximize our chances of receiving exploits this year, we've upped the ante. We will directly sponsor up to $1 million worth of rewards."

It's not every day that a company is willing to pay up to one MILLION dollars for anything... let alone hacking them!

Makes me wish I were a hacker for the first time in my life... I gave up on programming when i trashed my TRS80.....

unless you count hypercard in the 90's as coding...

Oh well... here's how anonymous can fund all their hacktavists lifestyles, good luck!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
It's not every day that a company is willing to pay up to one MILLION dollars for anything... let alone hacking them!

This stuck out because, yes they will and yes they do. This is just surprisingly open. Most hackers will get into someone's system or a corporations systems just to prove a point, make a buck through blackmail or just trying to land a tech security job. Happens quite often.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This is REAL hacking and what it originately was, good to see it getting a better reputation again !

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This is playing with fire if you ask me, it could turn into a competition to hack every update for Chrome.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Maybe it's to try to catch [a one] anonymous.

Dang for $60,000, I wish I could hack.
I think rather then studying this weekend, I'll learn the ins and out of hacking.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Neat

Google are insanely good at their work, and I can only recommend using Chrome!
The only reason Inter Explorer suck so much, (other than being ugly) is because its the browser which is used by most people in the world, thats why its so exploited, hackers know you use it

I heard some time ago they had a hacking contest on something apple made, and only the worlds best (known) hacker got through, and some time after one more did it.

There is a lot of these hacking contests around

By the way, anon are known for DDOS attack. They also hack, but meh, its only used for BS..
I hope they will someday do something, extra ordinary, like shutting off the internet 31 march.

But ofcourse, they wont

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Does anybody want to bet that Microsoft will offer a similar challenge for Internet Explorer?

What? No takers?

The only thing I have against Chrome is that Google has far too much big brother stuff on all of us already without giving them a mainline into our browser. It is primarily for this dominance reason that I don't use Chrome, and not because of any technical issues with it since it seems to be a good browser.

Even Internet Explorer isn't as bad as it once was, but I think Opera and Firefox are probably better. Chrome has finally made the #1 spot in this comparison test:

dioisme.blogspot.com...

Chrome 69%
Firefox and Opera 63.2%
Internet Explorer 48%

The results are there for all to see, with Google Chrome topping the list for the first time in quite a while.
Even after seeing this however, I still don't plan to use Chrome anytime soon.

On the other hand, if you look at those results and you're still using IE, what are you thinking?

Unfortunately I won't be winning the $60,000 prize. I've learned a little about hacking just for self defense purposes but I've never tried a remote attack. However I see the prize is reduced if Flash is used. Well who doesn't have flash installed? Maybe 0.1% of the population?

edit on 28-2-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

They have obviously got money to burn.

Then again, that could be relatively a good bargain if they
can find any exploit holes and patch em. Cheaper than a lawsuit!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185
This is playing with fire if you ask me, it could turn into a competition to hack every update for Chrome.

That's kind of exactly what they want. If the weakness is there it will be found. They want it found on their terms so they can patch the weakness. Google would gladly pay money to people to find every weakness in their updates before hackers with bad intentions use thoswe weaknesses to harm users.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ypperst

I heard some time ago they had a hacking contest on something apple made, and only the worlds best (known) hacker got through, and some time after one more did it.

There is a lot of these hacking contests around

That is quite wrong, that is what Apple wants people to think. Want to know the reality?

Pwn2Own 2010 results.
Safari (apple) was the very first one hacked.
Google Chrome was the only one unable to be hacked.
downloadsquad.switched.com...

Pwn2Own 2011 results.
Pwned:
* Safari
* Internet Explorer
* iPhone 4
* BlackBerry Torch 9800
nakedsecurity.sophos.com...

Firefox, Chrome, Android and Windows Mobile 7 all remained unpwned.

Apple is not difficult to hack, they get hacked every single year.

top topics

join