It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unasked for invasion of privacy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I dislike the store cards that they nag you into signing up for and punish you by jacked up prices if you do not comply( Whole notther thread ther) for not using and allowing them the right to see what you are buying, eating and doing.

How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did

Every time you go shopping, you share intimate details about your consumption patterns with retailers. And many of those retailers are studying those details to figure out what you like, what you need, and which coupons are most likely to make you happy. Target, for example, has figured out how to data-mine its way into your womb, to figure out whether you have a baby on the way long before you need to start buying diapers.

www.forbes.com...

This is so classless that there are not words for it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
or this one?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
It's why i never sign up to a store card of any description, even those that you get a discount off the goods for having, i always seem to find the same product at the same price as the 'special cardholder price' or even cheaper elsewhere, asfter all it costs them in admin to collate all the info.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I hate when they ask if I have a card and I say -no, then they ask if I want a card then I say- no thanks, but I like it when they ask- why, and I say "I'm never usually in this shop" and they look genuinely shocked that they aren't my number 1 shopping hot spot.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

I hate that also. I think it is false advertising. They post a price on the shelf, but that is the "member's" price, and when you get to the checkout the price is higher if you don't sign up. So, my solution, I leave their junk sitting right there on the counter if it isn't priced correctly. I ask for a manager, if the manager won't honor the price as marked, then I buy the other stuff and leave the other crap on their counter.

It is not that much of a headache for them, but hopefully they are reporting back to corporate that the pricing inconsistency is an issue they would like resolved.

I don't mind if they give other people a discount at the register. I have no problem with them rewarding loyal customers, but I don't want to be punished at the register. The price on the shelf should be the price a regular joe will pay, otherwise it affects my shopping and budgeting!

As for the OP story, I personally think that is hilarious! Imagine, you buy some things, they realize you are pregnant and start sending coupons and congratulatory notices in the mail, and your parents catch on.
I know it probably sucks for the person, but it is still funny as hell!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This makes me want to wear a burka(Or some other identity hiding method) when I shop. That wouldn't put me on any watch list at all now would it.

In the past (before there was such a high turnover) the store clerks would still know who drank, and could guess out if a girl was in the family way because she didn't buy her supplies that month,
That was't quite so painful because the clerks knew that there was a name and face attached to the buyer.

This article shows how the shoppers are treated as dumb purchasing animals.

www.nytimes.com...

The terms they use give their attitude away. You spook a herd anumal, you scare a person.

This makes me want to shop at a mom and pop store but you can't find them now anymore can you.
edit on 21-2-2012 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

This makes me want to shop at a mom and pop store but you can't find them now anymore can you.

Sure you can still find them, and it is the most important thing you could possibly do for your community, your neighbors, and for the world! This isn't a big town here, but we have several co-op organic grocery stores, and plenty of local mom and pop places for other merchandise. It costs a little more, but it is worth it!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Those store discount cards are a pain, no doubt. They do the job intended though, they keep me going to the same stores (ie: grocery) because I don't want to carry a bunch of different store cards, or don't know anyone who has a phone number registered that I can use. It's a headache and minimizes choice. Just what they want. They have "loyal" customers, but it's by hijacking them, not earning them.

There's also a more nefarious undertone... I have read articles in which purchase history has been used as evidence in court custody cases to prove (or disprove) bad parenting (as an example) Imagine that. Having to explain your grocery list in defense.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here's my question when it comes to this story about Target. They (Target) do not have discount cards, and the article just states that the "Guest ID number" is tied to the customer's credit card. My question is, is that only a Target credit card? Or any credit card used at the store? That is one scary thought. Actually reading the entire article is scary! We always worry about what information we give away about ourselves online, seems the offline world can be just as scary (in terms of data collecting).

Disclaimer: I know the discount cards collect data, but if companies can do the same based on any credit card, then all I can say is wow!

OiO

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

I know at Lowes, if I need to return something and I have lost my receipt, they can scan my regular debit card and find all purchases made with that card and reprint a receipt for me!

So, in essence, that credit card is an identifier all by itself, and it doesn't have to be a Lowes card, I only use my bank debit card there.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks for replying, now I must go vomit.

I had no idea they were doing that now. So I guess it doesn't matter if a person has a shopper card or not, their purchases can still be tracked via any credit card. At this point one solution would be to try and use cash as much as possible, but even that has gotten me flagged before.Years ago a store clerk called security because I wanted to use cash to by a $300 stereo. When the security guard was satisfied the money was not counterfeit he then followed me to my car and watched me load the stereo in and drive off.

This world has gotten plain ole crazy!

OiO

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

He is correct. Target (and many other places) can track purchases from your debit/visa/mc these do NOT have to be store cards or store-related visa/mc/debit cards and you do NOT have to have a receipt, in many cases.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

First, if you use a credit or debt card to purchase your items they can track you that way already.

If you want to keep your grocery list a secret then pay with cash.

Second, you can always use incorrect information when signing up for the discount card.

Mr. Old McDonald
123 Farmers Lane
Anytown USA

555-6969

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The systems in place are interesting. Back in the day we could track every purchase or return someone made off of their credit cards, debit cards, ID, checking account etc. Look up the entire history and the system automatically synced video of every transaction a customer made. ATS would probably have a collective panic attack if they new how much info was available to asset protection. Like your SSN number.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne

Thanks for replying, now I must go vomit.

I had no idea they were doing that now. So I guess it doesn't matter if a person has a shopper card or not, their purchases can still be tracked via any credit card. At this point one solution would be to try and use cash as much as possible, but even that has gotten me flagged before.Years ago a store clerk called security because I wanted to use cash to by a $300 stereo. When the security guard was satisfied the money was not counterfeit he then followed me to my car and watched me load the stereo in and drive off.

This world has gotten plain ole crazy!

OiO

Was the stereo on sale? That may be why (aside from checking for fake bills) they wanted to make sure you were buying it for yourself. It may have been "one per customer" only if it was on sale.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 35Foxtrot

Nope, not on sale. It happened when my husband and I were moving into our house, about 13 years ago. Neither one of us had a stereo worth a poop (and we wanted to listen to music while we did the work) so I volunteered to run to the store and pick one up. This was right after our wedding, so we still had the "people paid us to get hitched" cash. I have a feeling I didn't look the part for carrying $300 cash. Grubby clothes, hair in a ponytail & no makeup on. But I was at Wal-Mart, like that place has a dress code.

OiO

top topics

join