It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Benedict XVI reminds the Club of Cardinals where their loyalty lies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I found the following passage in a recent CBS news article. The pope has recently elevated 22 men to the role of cardinal.

In remarks at the start of the service, Benedict recalled that the red color of the three-pointed hat, or biretta, and the scarlet cassock that cardinals wear symbolizes the blood that cardinals must be willing to shed to remain faithful to the church.

"The new cardinals are entrusted with the service of love: love for God, love for his church, an absolute and unconditional love for his brothers and sisters even unto shedding their blood, if necessary," Benedict said.

source

I have only a limited knowledge of catholic tradition, so I'm not sure whether the symbolic link attributed to the scarlet attire is accurate, but it seems at least a little bit ominous that Benedict deemed this public occasion the best opportunity to remind the entire club of cardinals of where their loyalty lies, and that when it comes down to it in the coming days, they must be prepared to get their hands dirty.

I'd be interested to hear of the history and symbolism of the scarlet attire from any fellow explorers with a better knowledge of catholic history and tradition. I'd be even more interested to hear what others think of the pope's choice of words, and why he used this particular opportunity to utter them.

edit on 18-2-2012 by treesdancing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The Cardinal's wear red just as he said, as a symbolic reference to their willingness to shed their blood for their faith, or church. This has been practiced since 1245 and begun by Pope Innocent IV. The que by Pope Benedict XVI is only a reminder ...nothing new by any means and possibly hints at something to come.

Perhaps Pope Benedict XVI will step down.
vaticaninsider.lastampa.it...

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are asking explicitly.

Also, I probably don't know anymore than you do since I googled it.
edit on 18-2-2012 by csimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by csimon

I hadn't noticed the ambiguity of the quote until you stated it the other way - the statement can be read two ways: the blood could be either that of the cardinals, or of the people (which was the way I had initially read it). I wonder whether the quote was translated into english? The vagueness may have crept in as a result of the translation process.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'd say that Pope Benedict XVI was quoting every Pope since Pope Innocent IV. I believe that he is referring to the blood of the Cardinal's for the people ...that is all. Whether anything has been misinterpreted is anyone's guess but I doubt it.

I'm more concerned with his addition of new/more Cardinals.
edit on 18-2-2012 by csimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by csimon

Would you be so kind as to explain something in your post?

I'm more concerned with his addition of new/more Cardinals.
Why is that? I thought they kept the number of Cardinals constant. These are all fairly old men, many over the age of 80, they die and successors have to be found.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

It would seem that the number is not fixed, but the numbers are probably replenished as needed. From the source in the OP:

None of that was on display Saturday, however, amid the pomp of the consistory that will bring to 125 the number of cardinals under age 80 who are thus eligible to vote in a papal election. In all, the College of Cardinals now numbers 213.

The wiki page for College of Cardinals seems to indicate that a consistory to appoint new cardinals occurs roughly every three years, and the number of appointments varies dramatically between them.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I didn't consider that they were being replaced due to attrition. I suppose this means it's business a usual.

top topics

join