It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have a cache?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I've just recently learned that some preppers have buried small caches of goods on their own property, and along routes to their bug out location if they have a bug out plan in place and an idea of where they want to go.

I'm thinking this is something I have seriously lapsed on. At the very least I could cache some silver coins, power bars, and maybe ammo or my smallest gun.

Do you do this? Why or why not please.

Also, if you do this or plan to, would you use ammo cans? Or something better?

What say you?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
What if scavengers find your stash?

I don't do it. I mean it can be years before you need it. And then when you really need it, watch it be dug up and gone.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Scavengers is exactly why I'm asking you folks.

I'm reading Patriots by James Wesley Rawles and one of the guys in the book was saved by a cache he buried in his parents backyard. Googling around leads me to think this is a semi-common thing.

I can sort of see why it might prudent to have one in my own backyard, but have no ideas for anywhere else. So either I'm missing something, or it's not a great idea.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Some people tend forget that they even made a stash, and then when the new owners take the land, that stash then becomes theirs. If those new owners don't want to give it up, then the person who put the stash there is SOL. One guy left 10,000 in his attic but the new owners were nice enough to give it back to him. They really didn't have to do that.
edit on 17-2-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Is this where we all list our cache's and food storage and ammo and stuff for the authorities to compile a list?

Good thinking!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I don not have a cache randomly burried anywhere. If I were to though, I would not use an ammo can. They will rust and can allow water to seep in if the seal is not 100%. The way I would do it, is use large PVC pipe. It can be customized to whatever size you want/ need. It is simple to do. Take a piece of PVC pipe, Cut it to the length desired, then use the specialized cleaner and glue to cap each end. All of this can be found at ANY hardware or plumbing store. I know people whom use large 6" pipe to store long guns and 1" pipe to store coins. If done correctly, they will be water proof and air tight, so they can also be stored underwater.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
If you do..

Can you please list contents and location

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Manhater....Don`t sweat the small stuff!. I have been to the Sacred Mountain and was told , by my Native American friend, that Dec.21,2012, is not the "END OF THE WORLD", but a change in the spiritual direction of mankind. This happens every 26,000 years , so just be ready to feel better about lfe and humanity,OK?
As a matter of fact, just in case all the survivalists are right, there is an attorney in Arizona, who has been collecting "FUNDS" (money),from folks, so that he can "prepare himself" to sacrifice his own life, by going to the top of the Sacred Mountain and jump off at exactly 11AM, on Dec. 21,2012. He says he won`t die, because he`s going to be entering a "Crack" in time,and thus by doing so, he will have saved the world from destruction.
Hey, the guy`s not nuts, because if he`s expecting to live anyway, he should be living a pretty comfy life ,with all the "contributions" he`s collected!

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytwo
Manhater....Don`t sweat the small stuff!. I have been to the Sacred Mountain and was told , by my Native American friend, that Dec.21,2012, is not the "END OF THE WORLD", but a change in the spiritual direction of mankind. This happens every 26,000 years , so just be ready to feel better about lfe and humanity,OK?
As a matter of fact, just in case all the survivalists are right, there is an attorney in Arizona, who has been collecting "FUNDS" (money),from folks, so that he can "prepare himself" to sacrifice his own life, by going to the top of the Sacred Mountain and jump off at exactly 11AM, on Dec. 21,2012. He says he won`t die, because he`s going to be entering a "Crack" in time,and thus by doing so, he will have saved the world from destruction.
Hey, the guy`s not nuts, because if he`s expecting to live anyway, he should be living a pretty comfy life ,with all the "contributions" he`s collected!

Does that not make everyone that pays him an asset to suicide?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
really if u put it out in the bush not in a urban place (back yard) not many people would be walking around a place in the bush and it being buried only you would know the exact location so as long as you bury it right so the surface doesnt look tampered i could see a cache being around for a long time..
I have a army ammo container that has a good lock mechanism and seals to water tight. i thought about burying it with gun/ammo, some neccesities . it would hold a good amount. even non military made containers are good .
'plano' makes some good rugged field boxes there made from more plastic parts though not the solid metal of the military ones. so i dont know how deep a plano could take. i got 1 of both though. so bottom line for burying get a military grade one.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
i'd never bury anything worth much value outside of my own property and while you way think you've found the perfect spot it only takes someone to build a road/house, lay in some pipe work and your box of goodies could be dumped onto a truck and dumped miles away
edit on 17-2-2012 by Maxatoria because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia
I've just recently learned that some preppers have buried small caches of goods on their own property, and along routes to their bug out location if they have a bug out plan in place and an idea of where they want to go.

I'm thinking this is something I have seriously lapsed on. At the very least I could cache some silver coins, power bars, and maybe ammo or my smallest gun.

What say you?

first off, why would anyone that's a cache actually say they do, since a cache is essentially a 'secret' location of goods.....and saying that you do is nothing more than inviting mayhem into your home/life......."Yes I have a cache.. do you want to know what I have in it right now .. I can also tell you the location .. " STUPID........~!!!!!!!!

second~for you to even ask this question makes me completely suspicious of your character and if your even 'thinking' of having/creating a cache, KNOWING full well what exactly a cache is.........pushes me over the top on your character. Period~!

Third, there's a Google search for your questions.. with MILLIONS and MILLIONS of answers ANY question you'd ever need on this subject. Why didn't you start there?

Forth~the 'preppers' show is nothing more than a set up for big brother to make it sound like it's 'cool' to be a 'prepper'...................and the 'preppers' on the show ...............are NOT preppers .......................period. If they were, they wouldn't be on the SHOW...........

fifth~STOP believing everything on the TV as being TRUE. Use your common sense.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Ammo cans, LOL!
PVC is far superior hands down.
Damn near bulletproof.
But I will not say whether I have cached anything.

(Edit)
reply to post by JJTHEFETT

You said, "If done correctly".
Lol I'm a retired plumber and trust me, an idiot can use pvc flawlessly!
Really, I've seen a few.

edit on 17-2-2012 by g146541 because: to add

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
just a wicked thought that it will soon be time to turn over the ground to prepare the veg patch so perhaps you should let it be known that you have hidden some weapons/ammo etc somewhere deep in your veg patch and let the local police have some fun turning over the ground so you can get a head start while you pull a cold one out the fridge and watch them go at it

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinister
If you do..

Can you please list contents and location

Any female relatives to
go along with it? That would be
great info too.

If you got a cache remember
loose lips sink TIGHT ships

edit on 17-2-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Cache is a need to do on our list. If our retreat is ever compromised it would be smart to have a cache to get to for resupplying and moving on. Need to plan for everything, even for the remote chance of being over taken.

My idea would be to burying a refrigerator with the door facing up. Dig out a pit, put rock on the bottom and place the refrigerator in the hole with small tilt to drain water. Drill a small hole in the bottom, just in case water gets in, and everything you put in there make sure its wrapped in plastic and waterproofed. Then fill the whole.

Thoughts?
edit on 17-2-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
A cashe would be good if you can have it where no one will find it. It should be in a place that you know where it is...without having to think to hard to remember where you put it. Things to have in it...well thats on you and what you think you'll be needing resupplied. Many think of guns and ammo, along with fire starting tools, a tarp, 550 cord or rope, a pack to haul it in, and a extra set of cloths even.

There are some people that have gone as far...as to get a septic tank(new) and bury it, but fill it with supplies and things they think they'll need. All this is good and all, but..if you have several routes to your BOL, than you'll have to have this cashe close to your house or BOL. If your not taking your primary route, or secondary route...well you need the supplies..all 3 routes shouldn't be alone the same roads or trails. If all the routes cross or merge together..thats not good either.

I personally think the best thing to do...is to have your stuff spread loaded at your locations...meaning.. Have what you need at your home, have a supply at the BOL, but make it so that you have what you need at both.
This is ideal..back ups to back ups.

I came across a cave a while back that had a bow and other items there...that many would call survival things. Well I found the stuff, if I wanted it, I could of taken it...but I didn't. It wasn't a good spot to cashe things..as I found it and wasn't even looking for it. It was on public land, so anyone could be there.

I know people that cashed things in there yard, by the corner of a detached garage. That way it was there and they always had it right there..if needed. Well they sold the house and had forgot about it...so the new owner was now sitting on it and didn't know it...until he went out with a metal detector to try it out..he got it for his birthday...well 2 days after his birthday...he got a lot more free stuff. It is just another thing to be mindful of.

I don't have a cashe of goods, I hope I never wish that I did. If things get that bad, I think we have bigger things to worry about...other than guns ammo and supplies. Just my .02 cents

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo

Originally posted by Ameilia

What say you?

first off, why would anyone that's a cache actually say they do, since a cache is essentially a 'secret' location of goods.....and saying that you do is nothing more than inviting mayhem into your home/life......."Yes I have a cache.. do you want to know what I have in it right now .. I can also tell you the location .. " STUPID........~!!!!!!!!

second~for you to even ask this question makes me completely suspicious of your character and if your even 'thinking' of having/creating a cache, KNOWING full well what exactly a cache is.........pushes me over the top on your character. Period~!

Third, there's a Google search for your questions.. with MILLIONS and MILLIONS of answers ANY question you'd ever need on this subject. Why didn't you start there?

Forth~the 'preppers' show is nothing more than a set up for big brother to make it sound like it's 'cool' to be a 'prepper'...................and the 'preppers' on the show ...............are NOT preppers .......................period. If they were, they wouldn't be on the SHOW...........

fifth~STOP believing everything on the TV as being TRUE. Use your common sense.

Hi there. I will address each one of your points.

First of all, there is no reason to be afraid of saying you have a cache, within reason. I didn't come on here and ask "where is your cache buried?" I am asking if you have one and why you think it's a good idea, so I can gather information for myself and my family and determine if this is something I would like to do. It is not, as you so kindly say, "STUPID" to talk about a cache. I could bury a cache, or multiple caches, between Texas and North Dakota, and I could theoretically tell every person I know in real life, and my cache would be perfectly safe. There is no way anyone would ever find my cache, across the whole US, simply because they know I have one buried "somewhere." There are two ways a cache could be found. Either I was an idiot and got seen burying it, or else someone randomly happened on it. No one would ever find out simply because they knew of its existence. This is so obvious, I'm not sure how you missed it.

Secondly, of course I'm asking the question. In case you missed it, I posted in the Survival forum. This is where people talk about...survival. There are literally thousands of threads with questions about survival supplies. A cache would be part of a person's survival supplies, if they chose to make one. As I do not talk to anyone outside the family about this in real life, this is a good place to get opinions from people all over the world, who may have more experience in certain areas than I do.

Third, if you actually read and understood the original post, you'd realize I did use Google. It's posted right there in plain English. After using Google, I decided to have a conversation in a forum where I am a member, instead of signing up to yet more websites to post places where I am not familiar with anyone.

Fourth, I'm not sure why you are bringing up the television show. I have never watched that show. Nor do I know anyone in real life who has watched it. Again, if you had read, you would see I heard about this while reading the book Patriots, and that is what drew my interest. But again, you would have had to actually read my posts to know this information.

Fifth, as I said in my fourth point, I did not get this idea on TV. That would be because I rarely watch TV. Furthermore, if I believe it were, as you say, "TRUE" why would I be in here asking about it?

And last, if you have nothing of value to contribute to this thread (remember, the topic of discussion is having a cache and what you'd use to hold it) then please take your condescending attitude somewhere else, where you can perhaps actually say something related to the topic at hand, instead of blasting a poster with a simple question with your name calling and disrespect.

Thanks.
edit on 2/17/12 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Things I wouldnt mind having buried in a length of PVC for an emergency:

gun, ammo
knife
an MRE or two
Firestarting tool
water filter
clean socks

Just enough to give me a moment to relax and regroup before dealing with whatever it is that drove to dig up the cache in the first place.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

My idea would be to burying a refrigerator with the door facing up. Dig out a pit, put rock on the bottom and place the refrigerator in the hole with small tilt to drain water. Drill a small hole in the bottom, just in case water gets in, and everything you put in there make sure its wrapped in plastic and waterproofed. Then fill the whole.

Thoughts?
edit on 17-2-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

You need to put more thought into this.
Your hole needs to be deeper and wider than the fridge by several feet, then a pump and well installed under the fridge and gravel backfilling the void. Also the fridge needs to be anchored into the walls of your hole.

If you don't do the above, your fridge is going to float up out of your hole and be discovered. Ever seen an in-ground swimming pool that's sat with no water for any period of time?

If you need a continually accessible underground cache, look into large-diameter pipe sections as stated in posts above. If you need something the size of a fridge, look into culvert pipe or cement sewage pipe and manholes.. These things are designed to be installed underground and won't raise as much suspicion if discovered like a refrigerator door sticking out of the ground..

All said though, I would avoid caching important things in this fashion, because you never know who's going to get into it. Kids get into everything and the last thing you need is to accidentally have someone hurting themselves, or potentially have someone stealing your hard-earned gear, only to find out for yourself when it's needed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join