It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN passes Syria resolution calling on Assad to step down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
At last some hope for the Syrian people/humanity

The UN General Assembly voted 137 to 12 on Thursday to approve a resolution calling for an immediate halt to Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad's violent crackdown on dissent. China, Russia and Iran were among the nations that opposed the text put forward by Egypt and other Arab states that condemned "widespread and systematic violations of human rights" in Syria.

The vote seems heavily in favour for Al Assad to step down, but i think its likely there going to see quite a few more deaths before anything is agreed, here

During the General Assembly meeting, the Arab League called on the United Nations for the immediate implementation ofits plan on Syria. There had been an “unacceptable escalation” of violence in Syria, said Egyptian Ambassador Maged Abdelaziz. He called on the Syrian government “to heed the demands of the Arab and Syrian people and stop the bloodshed.”

Ideally, we need Russia & Iran to stop supporting/aiding the Al Assad government the means to kill his own people first here really, and if any peace keepers are required, China should front or support the peacekeeping force for a change because lets face it, it does FA else other then sit there vetoing all day getting fatter in the process, someone is going to have to step up for a change, the west certainly isn't this time, because were absolutely f# sick of it ...

www.france24.com... _public&ns_mchannel=RSS&ns_fee=0&ns_linkname=20120216_un_general_assembly_passes_resolution_calling

rt.com...

news.blogs.cnn.com...

arabnews.com...

edit on 16-2-2012 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2012 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
he says there terrorists, hard to know for sure behind a computer screen unless we go to Syria

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR

All we need now is for Russia & Iran to stop supporting/aiding the Al Assad government the means to kill his own people to stay in power, China should front the peacekeeping for a change because lets face it, it does FA else other then getting fatter, someone is going to have to step up for a change, the west certainly isn't because were absolutely sick of it ...
Right...hope for the Syrians, more like hopes of turning Syria into another Libya/Iraq

Don't get me wrong I'm not for Assad at all, but this is like a script thats been played over way too many times. Just a power struggle between two evils... Illuminati want to scoop up every last country that isn't under their control in time for their NWO
edit on 16-2-2012 by seenavv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
To the UN,
Tell us something we didn't know,

AND STOP WASTING OUR F****** TIME YOU CORRUPTED CUN*S!

"...calling for assad to step down..." how many freaking times have they said that crap...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Another country seeing the wrath of the bullies lying it's way into Syria with the propaganda from it's news outlets.

Shame on this people and tptb there. Disgusting!!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
So a Veto doesn't mean anything anymore..

Seems like somebody's going to pay for that. And i don't see that one being Syria
edit on 16-2-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I remember seeing the video on CNN where the guy is pleading for help and his life, and that the UN has to take action and they don't understand why they are not helping in any way besides sanctions and observers.

So sad that this is the solution. The UN is a joke. The Nations are not united when they have to vote.

Voting on whether to stop the merciless killings of people by their government is pretty sickening in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
From the RT article.

However, General Assembly resolutions are not legally binding and only serve as recommendations to the UN Security Council and as markers of international opinion.

It's another stall .....

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by seenavv

All we need now is for Russia & Iran to stop supporting/aiding the Al Assad government the means to kill his own people to stay in power, China should front the peacekeeping for a change because lets face it, it does FA else other then getting fatter, someone is going to have to step up for a change, the west certainly isn't because were absolutely sick of it ...
Right...hope for the Syrians, more like hopes of turning Syria into another Libya/Iraq

Don't get me wrong I'm not for Assad at all, but this is like a script thats been played over way too many times. Just a power struggle between two evils... Illuminati want to scoop up every last country that isn't under their control in time for their NWO
edit on 16-2-2012 by seenavv because: (no reason given)

Hang on, you can't link Iraq - Libya/Syria you can link Libya - Syria tho, and if you like you can link

Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Yemen, Jordan, Libya, Syria etc etc

As Iraq was a war, and Libya, Syria was Revolutions

So where else has this script been played out?

Now after brainwashing millions & millions of people all over the middle east to have multiple revolutions they have now brainwashed 137 United Nations countries... AHAHAHAHAHAHA you crazy people

Sooner or later its going to hit you... that you're the brainwashed script

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
This means nothing. The only thing that will stop Assad is either his assasination or the liberation of his country by force. Preferably by arabian troops.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
So a Veto doesn't mean anything anymore..

Seems like somebody's going to pay for that. And i don't see that one being Syria
edit on 16-2-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

So you see the 137 nations that voted for it paying for it? I am pretty Russia and China are not happy the entire planet has seen fit to blow them off but, instead of doing anything about I suspect they are about to make on last effort to get Assad to step down and them abandon Syria to the will of the rest of the planet.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

So you see the 137 nations that voted for it paying for it? I am pretty Russia and China are not happy the entire planet has seen fit to blow them off but, instead of doing anything about I suspect they are about to make on last effort to get Assad to step down and them abandon Syria to the will of the rest of the planet.

All I'm saying is, that if they thought that Assad is a crazy man, they should have a look at Russia's or China's army and their leaders. Being crazy is one thing but also having the world's biggest army, another

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
To the UN,

"...calling for assad to step down..." how many freaking times have they said that crap...

I know right? its like nobody's even listening man!

The people of Syria should just stop crying about it

And the Arab League

And the 137 UN countries too

Just leave Al Assad alone

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Did Russia and China say no or did they sell out?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

Two of the permanent UN council members are opposed to meddling in Syria. There're five permanent members: China, France, Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States.

In this General Assembly Resolution, 137 voted in favor, 12 against and 17 abstaining. But it's not legally binding. But it does give us an overall feel for what the UN as a whole thinks about Assad.

Not good for the leaders in Syria. I may have to start researching this.

This all goes back to 1948 when Israel was established. Syria was one of the nations that opposed hte UN when Israel was created because, as several arab countries agreed, it was deemed a flawed one-state solution. You see, two other resolutions were were more two-state oriented, were dismissed in favor of what passed in 1948. Was was the immediate result and several hundred thousand palestinians became refugees. This war has remained in one way or another ever since. It's not done yet, as we're witnessing.

Syria and Iran and a few others have not accepted the UN decision was made in 1948.

But all of that aside, Assad is not handling its nation's problems well. It's not looking good at all.

This may be some kind of continuation of the Arab Spring.

Russia and/or China may try to veto what happens rather than just abstaining. Howwever, the Responsbility to Protect (RToP) resolution passed in 2005 may change the dynamics of how this works out.

You can read about it here:
en.wikipedia.org...

EDIT: after taking a quick look, it appears that a veto is possible by China or Russia. But what's interesting is what happens if a genocide is proven? They may prohibit or limit veto's from blocking RToP.
edit on 16-2-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Where and when i have heard that one before? oh thats right Libya yeah HOPE we can see how hope is doing in Bosnia, Libya now.
In Bosnia now even with the wars that ended people have given up HOPE a long time ago

Now after brainwashing millions & millions of people all over the middle east to have multiple revolutions they have now brainwashed 137 United Nations countries... AHAHAHAHAHAHA you crazy people Sooner or later its going to hit you... that you're the brainwashed script

Sounds like your a still newbie here and dont understand how the Elites are playing us out as there Toys do you?

1.Yugoslavia/Serbia 90s
After the fall of the Soviet Union the United States and its elites needed a new enemy in the region only more reasons to bump up the reasons for NATO.

Serbia seemed to play the prefect role as the evil & bad guy even though serbs never started the war.

2.Iraq Gulf 1990S
3.Libya 1980s
4.And Libya 2011.

that you're the brainwashed script

Really? us brainwashed Nope

Did you know that Western NGO organizations like the National Endowment for Democracy NGO can bribe people and start manufactured revolutions?

They already did it in ukraine with its Orange Revolution.
edit on 17-2-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

To the UN,

And the Arab League

I don't know about the people of Syria, all I know is that they have repeated this sh**ty "condemnations" about a million times and it is of no use in the first place much less will it end the bloodshed.

Seriously... "we condemn the actions of bla bla bla" HOW THE HELL DOES THAT MAKE ANY SORT OF DIFFERENCE ANYWHERE?! Especially after having already "condemned" before.

It's like seeing a murderer go into a neighbours house, seeing him murder the whole family but just saying " I condem your actions" *walks back into house*.

My dog is smarter than the UN....

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

To the UN,

And the Arab League

I don't know about the people of Syria, all I know is that they have repeated this sh**ty "condemnations" about a million times and it is of no use in the first place much less will it end the bloodshed.

Seriously... "we condemn the actions of bla bla bla" HOW THE HELL DOES THAT MAKE ANY SORT OF DIFFERENCE ANYWHERE?! Especially after having already "condemned" before.

It's like seeing a murderer go into a neighbours house, seeing him murder the whole family but just saying " I condem your actions" *walks back into house*.

The UN is by no means perfect but in this case i don't think it's fair to criticise it as a whole for not doing more. Quite frankly the blame is at the feet of the Russians and Chinese. They are the ones preventing any action.

They don't want Assad to fall as they are trying to preserve their lucrative arms deals. Nothing more and nothing less.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Now after brainwashing millions & millions of people all over the middle east to have multiple revolutions they have now brainwashed 137 United Nations countries... AHAHAHAHAHAHA you crazy people Sooner or later its going to hit you... that you're the brainwashed script

Sounds like your a still newbie here and dont understand how the Elites are playing us out as there Toys do you?

edit on 17-2-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

No offence but i stopped reading there,

here is where i stand on your conspiracy
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410

To the UN,

And the Arab League

The UN is by no means perfect but in this case i don't think it's fair to criticise it as a whole for not doing more. Quite frankly the blame is at the feet of the Russians and Chinese. They are the ones preventing any action.

They don't want Assad to fall as they are trying to preserve their lucrative arms deals. Nothing more and nothing less.

Then that's what they should say instead of spitting out more "condemnations".

"The UN released a statement today accusing Russia and China of preventing NATO and the Arab league in stopping Assad's massacre of civilians."

That sounds way better than saying the same garbage over and over again.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join