It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People giving their infants coffee to drink

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

With the new copyright laws, I don't know if I'm allowed to quote any of the article.

Long story short, in Brooklyn parents are buying their infant children "babyccinos" which are small cups of coffee. One mother boasts about how "coffee shop" was her son's first word and has gotten cafes since he was a newborn. This world would appear to be going to hell in a hand basket.

Is this a fashion statement? A loud cry of help from people who are so vain they bring a baby into a coffee shop? Is it attention-seeking? I'm not sure, I just don't like it.

I personally have no taste for any coffee and have no problem with people who do. That being said, infants need milk and/or water, not coffee.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Flouridated water

Add caffeine, sugar/aspartame

and crappy pop culture in trashy inner city ghetto culture, Enjoy.

S&F

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
caffine is a drug, should parents not view coffee in the same manner as they view tobacco? alcohol? some people don't deserve to be parents. this disgusts me.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Trouble in Little Chi

They're only hurting themselves I suppose. Caffeine to an infant, or toddler, or even elementary kid is like crack! They go crazy on that stuff. Then, if they get hooked, and they go without it one day, the headaches will make them wail.

Stupid parents.

That being said, if my kids want to try something, I always let them give it a try, be it coffee, hot sauce, jalapeno peppers, or lemon juice. They both actually like hot sauce, and one of them likes peppers. Neither one likes coffee though!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

yep and then they'll come back and say.. my kid is too hyperactive, let's put him on Ritalin

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I dont know.. I started drinking coffee when i was 3 years old and lived in Belgium.. Soo

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
also, i have no shortage of memories of seeing babies/mommas with Coke/Pepsi in their baby bottles, either

often refilled repeatedly from a 2 or 3 liter!

Coffee just makes it more obvious cause its an 'adult' caffeinated beverage

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
5 years ago, my neighbor would take her toddler to Starbucks at 11am. They had some sort of toddler time where you could read stories and get a mini-whatever-your-mom-is-drinking. I was SHOCKED when she told me! She told me to go as if it was story time at the library. Even if it's decaff! That's just wrong. My kids are 5 and 8 now and have hardly had any soda. Every once in a while and I use to water it down. We are a milk and water family. Organic juice or fresh squeezed.

But what do I know?
edit on 15-2-2012 by PassedKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I was given coffee when i was around maybe 3 - 4 yrs for awhile? I don't drink coffee at all now as an adult, but candy? you bet.

But overall, it's probably a bad idea.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Haha same here.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7
I was given coffee when i was around maybe 3 - 4 yrs for awhile? I don't drink coffee at all now as an adult, but candy? you bet.

But overall, it's probably a bad idea.

I know this sounds rather hillbilly, but I've probably had a sip or two of beer at age 3 or 4.

I think it's much different in this instance because one of the interviewed said her child as been drinking coffee since he was born. It's bad enough we have 700 lb 9 yr olds but now this!?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I thought babycinos were just foamed milk?

At the end of the day everyone is exposed to much more dangerous chemicals and radiations on a constant basis

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by winta

Yep. Neither of my parents drink coffee, but both of my grandmothers (despite the it'll stunt your growth claim) would saucer their coffee and give me some every time my parents weren't around.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
There's also caffeine in chocolate, and we don't worry about givin that to children! I don't think it will hurt them to have a little caffeine, maybe there could be some benefits.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Everyone in my family are coffee drinkers. I would have the odd de-caffinated cup when I was about 3 years old. At the age of 7 I started drinking caffeine coffee everyday. I am a heavy coffee drinker now and im 6'5, healthy and successful for my young age. My friends drank coffee at young ages too and are over 6'0 and are healthy. So don't worry, coffee wont effect your height. And I don't think young kids should be giving coffee with caffeine in it. Not until they are older and there body and mind have developed more.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Trouble in Little Chi

I'm sorry for the kids but consider the plus side, I doubt that anyone without money is getting into that trend.

One should also note that caffeine helps the respiratory system (it is even given to premature babies), of course that as a brain acting drug (central nervous system) use should be extremely moderated until after adolescence (unless to correct other heal issues, a good solution for lethargic kids). It is also addictive and has withdrawals symptoms.
edit on 15-2-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
For all you folks screaming that this is awful and probably child abuse etc, come on...really?
I started on coffee at about 5...wanted to be like the grown ups...(more milk and sugar than coffee..lol).
But really...yeah a little caffeine makes a really hyper little kid sometimes...so does a candy bar for some kids. And a chocolate bar has caffeine. So does a soda.
So for those of you just having a fit about this perhaps you should seek a job with the government as a federal lunchbox inspector. www.abovetopsecret.com...
And then if you get that job stay the heck away from my kids school please.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Don't worry, Starbucks. co is going to put their best scientist/PR team on it:

Coffee is good for your babies

In a recent two year double-blind study, coffee raised the babies energy levels and stimulated growth

Then 5 years later they'll recant, only after they started a generation of "capp-babies"

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
my mom smoked while breast feeding me, whatever

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I guess food traditions vary around the world, but caffeine will make you urinate out more than you take in, causing dehydration if not offset by water. Plus, most kids don't need to get any more hyper than they already are. I wouldn't do give it to my kids but I suppose in tiny doses it doesn't hurt them. It's certainly better than soda pop.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join