It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dalai Lama: Conflicting Philosophies of World Religions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
youtu.be...

It saddens me to see constant bickering between religions, or non-religious people attacking religion. It's more wise to understand that diversity of religion is as vital as diversity of other things, philosophy, etc.. We need that diversity, because despite how outwardly different we are, we are all inherently the same thing.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The Dalai Lama sounds like the name of a newspaper to me and he's about as significant in my life as said paper. Religion is how YOU want to live life

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It's not about significance in your life. It's about the understanding of religions and their diverse philosophies from a well learned and experienced teacher. When you want to learn how to drive, you could immediately get behind the wheel of a car and learn to drive by pure experience. But it would be more wise to have a teacher who has been driving for decades.

link   
I wish the Dalai Lama would shut the hell up.

link   
lol what about buddhism it self though ? That's just another branch of the same thing.

Its great for meditation and what not , but w hen you bring in buddha and enlightenment , you've done the same thing as religion . Promise something that nobody can seem to achieve .

here is a great example.

"Traditionally, the Dalai Lama is thought of as the latest reincarnation of a series of spiritual leaders who have chosen to be reborn in order to enlighten others"

lol , give me a break. What we need is a true neutral philosophy , buddism is trying to go for that . But its not fooling me

People dedicate their lives to reach enlightenment only to fail , then on their dying beds , they say "well maybe i didn't try hard enough "

to much trickery

Dalai Lama is a conflicting philosophy him self. Walking around being idolized and he loving it.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by clemo
The Dalai Lama sounds like the name of a newspaper to me
You're thinking of the Daily Llama, whose tagline is "ALL THE NEWS THAT'S SPIT TO PRINT".

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by clemo

Religion is how YOU want to live life
That seems to be an unusual definition for "Religion." I must be misunderstanding you. That would make selfishness a religion, or risk-taking a religion. Could you put your definition a little differently, I'm not clear on this one.

As far as ignoring anyone, shouldn't you wait to hear what they have to say, first? What's the saying? "Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day." Why not consider his ideas?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Sounds like you have been fooled despite your efforts...frustrating I imagine...I suggest some real study of Buddhism...you will find it is nothing like your interpretation...

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
All religions are pointing to the same 'thing'. The source of your being.
Silence is the way. The noise of thought distracts us from what is always present - the silent, peaceful backdrop of presence.
You are the vast space which is always present. In this vast space appearances appear and disappear.
edit on 14-2-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I forgive those here who are mocking a man who is trying to teach you something good and important. But that seems to be a reoccuring theme on this site. Attacking and not bothering to try to understand the message. This is one of the things His Holiness is implicity stating: We argue about this and that, when all these things come from the same source, whose philosophies apply to some but not all. That's a good thing.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ManjushriPrajna

tis sad, reminds me of the red dwarf episode where the evolved cats argue over weather a hat is blue or red.

edit on 14-2-2012 by AnotherHumanBeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManjushriPrajna
I forgive those here who are mocking a man who is trying to teach you something good and important.
Or those who live by his example and smile and laugh. Have you listened to his speeches? He has a really good sense of humor!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
One of the things that is very hard to ignore is the fact that the Lama fled his country while it was in a state of distress. If a captain of a ship fled, he'd be hung, but this man just ran away and seems to be lauded for it. It is really hard to see that in a positive light, given he's the spiritual leader of the land, and KNOWS there is no death, why leave the country rudderless?

His ties to the CIA, seek out the work of Webster Tarpley on that, also discredits him a bit - ever wonder how he has money to do all the traveling?

I suspect he isn't the true Lama at all, but a beard. I suspect, if there is/was a true Lama, who's purpose and stature was as a claimed, he simply had bother "Sam" take off as him during the trouble; live as him, work as him, and the true Lama resides somewhere in Tibet as we speak. The man who is purported to be the Lama really isn't all that insightful, or articulate or interesting, which begs the question: if is the real Lama, why is he so uninteresting?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherHumanBeing

I remember that. Both sides killed themselves off except for Cat and that old man.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ManjushriPrajna

i'll star and flag
this thread as the call for respect and tolerance it is.

that said the dalai lama with all the respect he deserves

as a human being;

is technically a God-King
thus, he's in a sense, part of the problem.

when a human being is raised or elevates him/herself as a god over others
the rest of us are degraded to something less than human.

this is a major problem with christianity as well.
reply to post by seedofchucky

Originally posted by seedofchucky
lol what about buddhism it self though ? That's just another branch of the same thing.

Its great for meditation and what not , but w hen you bring in buddha and enlightenment , you've done the same thing as religion . Promise something that nobody can seem to achieve .

"Traditionally, the Dalai Lama is thought of as the latest reincarnation of a series of spiritual leaders who have chosen to be reborn in order to enlighten others"

lol , give me a break. What we need is a true neutral philosophy , buddism is trying to go for that . But its not fooling me

People dedicate their lives to reach enlightenment only to fail , then on their dying beds , they say "well maybe i didn't try hard enough "

to much trickery

Dalai Lama is a conflicting philosophy him self. Walking around being idolized and he loving it.

hiya chucky, as you can see we're mostly in agreement

however you need to look into buddhism a bit deeper
the "neutral philosophy" you're talking about/seeking can be found both in the Zen School and in Buddhisms original form as taught by Siddartha Gautama

both are atheistic [no gods, no buddhas]

indeed, Siddarthas last words were:

"Seek thine own Salvation with diligence"

all other schools incorporate stuff from other belief systems

the Theravada school has a cosmology more complicated than any others
edit on 14-2-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: replyied to chucky

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

I wasn't referring to some in particular. The Daily Lama one made me laugh.

edit on 14-2-2012 by ManjushriPrajna because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Star and Flag.

Your short OP says it all, and that speech by the Dalai Lama was very pleasant.

Not one food fits everyone's taste, as is the same with spirituality and philosophy. If Ultimate Truth were a Michael Jackson song, how many interpretations would arise from that one song? Same thing happened with religion and spirituality. Walk your own path, help others, but let others walk their own paths too. Peace.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

in Buddhisms original form as taught by Siddartha Gautama

I am not a fan of Gautama , he is an indirect idol to the buddists , just like the dalali lama is . But they won't admit that . Because of denial of course.

Gautama spewed alot of nonsense , that many of his followers now try and practice and recreate. But it doesn't exist. Nobody has reached the levels he "claimed" to have.

Its great for meditation , its great philosophy but you can do buddism without the budda. If you really want to be a neutral philosophy . But they worship him and say we don't like hippocrates.

both are atheistic [no gods, no buddhas]

case and point.

indeed, Siddarthas last words were:

It should've been , my nutrient starved body during mediation , caused a cocktail of chemicals in my brain to give me the illusion of enlightenment , so if you wanna get to where i was at and free your self from the cycle , take some '___'
Cuz meditation doesn't get you that far :p , but i'll pretend it does , so i 'll have generation after generation trying to reach a level of conscienness that doesn't exisit . Then when you can't reach it , then you know you didn't try hard enough!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

If they think trying hard is going to help them become enlightened then they've probably been doing it all wrong from the beginning. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join