It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lake erie monster?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
hey i live on the shores of lake erie and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about if there is a mosnter that lays beneath the water like a nessy of some short or something. if you know anything feel free to explain(:

future thanks to everyone(:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Yes there is something lurking in the big pond. I saw it a few years ago off the coast of Erie, Pa. in about 30 feet of water when a buddy and I were perch fishing (lake Erie, best yellow perch fishing in the world
). It must've been about 15-20 feet long. It was cruising the surface for about a minute before it disapeared. I could tell it wasn't wood from the way it was moving and it wasn't a sturgeon because its skin was smooth textured. To me it reminded me of the pics you see of Ogo Pogo. Same species?

But yeah, I saw it! It's in there somewhere.
edit on 10-2-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I've never heard of one in Lake Eerie, but there is the Nessie-like "Champ" of Lake Champlain which is not too far away, and "Chessie" of Chesapeake Bay.

link   
I jumped in that lake nude once, I only saw one monster, it was huge.

But seriously, Ive heard stories of there being something out there. lochness sorta monster

link   
reply to post by kimish

thank you i just need some insight on it because as a child i used to have the same dreams about walking down to the beach and seeing one and then those dreams stopped but then recently i had that same dream again and it just makes me wonder..

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This summer my kids,a couple of friends and myself were swimming at Breakwater Beach in Geneva on the Lake Ohio and we all saw a 30 foot something.Looked like a huge snake .We didn't go swimming again all summer.It really scared my youngest and gave her nightmares for a few months.

Yes there is a Lake Erie Monster. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it.
It was in about 5 foot water, right by the first sand bar. Creepy brown/black. It made a weird up and down swim motion, not side to side.It was about a foot around and scaly.

First post.This thread made me register.
edit on 10-2-2012 by raisinbread because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by raisinbread

i know exactly where that place there i go there alot during the summer... and that would be scary defentally since you have young kids going in there. every day/night i look at the beach hoping to see something unusual.

and thanks for registering to tell me that highly appreciated(:
edit on 10-2-2012 by ConfusedPeasant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ConfusedPeasant

More than likely it's a fish eater. Your best bet to see it would probably be when the perch are schooling closer to the shore. You're in the shallow end though, I'd think that beast would prefer the deeper waters of the middle and eastern basin.

If you go out looking for it, good luck and let us know if you find anything.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The only monster lurking in Lake Erie is the lake-effect snow, it ravages the Northeastern Ohio region, just look what it did to our lighthouse...

Luckily it hibernates every summer, but unfortunately that's when it's evil cousins, the MIDGES, comes out.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by raisinbread

That is how the creature that I saw moved. Up in down like. And it was more serpentine shaped than anything.

You would think with all the scuba divers in the lake that someone would have had to see something.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
hasnt really been much snow storm at my small town on the lake just a couple bad ones, and i hate those midges so much.

and yea scubas should find something but the water is so mukky and dark i bet it would be hard to see more then like 10feet infront of you but i dont know i havent gone real deep down and looked.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Look up lake Erie lake monster Bessie.

Bessie is a name given to an alleged lake monster in Lake Erie,[1] also known as "South Bay Bessie".[2] The first recorded sighting of Bessie occurred in 1793,[1] and more sightings have occurred intermittently and in greater frequency in the last three decades.[1] Bessie is reported to be snake-like and 9–12 m (30–40 ft) long, at least a foot in diameter, with a grayish color.[1]

While shooting at ducks north of Sandusky Ohio in 1793; the captain of the sloop Felicity startled a large creature (snake) described as “more than a rod (16 ½ ft.) in length”

July 1817, the crew of a schooner reported a 30 to 40-foot long serpent, dark in colour.

Later that year, another boat crew spotted a similar animal, this time copper-coloured and 60 feet in length. This time, they shot at it with muskets, which had no visible effect.

A third 1817 incident took place near Toledo, when French settlers – two brothers named Dusseau—encountered a huge monster on the beach, writhing in what they took to be its death throes. The brothers described it as between 20 and 30 feet in length and shaped like a large sturgeon, except that it had arms. The panicked brothers fled the scene, and when they returned later, the creature had disappeared, presumably carried off by waves after its death. All that was left of its presence were marks on the beach and a number of silver scales about the size of silver dollars.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Actually the water is very clear, courtesy of the zebra muscles. I guess it all depends on the current and wind though. When I saw the thing we could see the bottom in 30-40ft of water and there were probably on 1 footers if that out on the lake.

There is a lot of shipwrecks and big rocks left over from the last ice age so I don't think finding a hiding spot would be hard for something that large to hide.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Slightly off topic but having never seen such a huge freshwater lake in the flesh so to speak,for those who obviously live near Eire does the lake have a sea swell? and if your out in the middle of it is it like the sea?Back on topic i think catfish can grow enormous and underwater look even bigger

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
agreed ^ ^ i see a scuba expedition is on a rise for me and hopefully i can get some friends to come with me and help me find out.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cuchullainuk777

The lake is huge lol. I love it. I'm a 20 minute walk from it. But it's not quite like the ocean. The Great lakes, with the exception of Lake Michigan, actually flow like a gigantic river system all starting at Lake Superior and then finally making it's way to the St. Lawrence river and into the Atlantic.

There are Huge catfish just about everywhere! There is a lake in my county, it's a glacial lake, lake pleasant. Nobody knows exactly how deep it is for sure and there have been scuba divers reporting catfish 5 ft long. I've heard stories of divers in the Allegheny river seeing catfish bigger then men. One thing about most catfish is that they can live longer than alot of other fish and they really don't stop growing. The bullheads however do stop at some point. That is why they get to be only maybe 2 or 3 pounds.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

off topic
It used to be a great party town with lots of stuff for the kids.It's all depressed now.

on topic.
I really wish we weren't going swimming at that time because all our phones with the cameras were up by the picnic area.I definitely could have got some great close ups and had real proof.
After seeing it I can believe in Nessie and Champ and others, there's a lot of unexplained things still left on Earth.
Nothing that I've seen doing a quick search looks like it.It didn't have a bulbous midsection as it was pretty much the same width from head to tail except the very end where it came to a small tail like fin.It did have a set of three fins along the top going from larger to smaller with a couple of fins about 4 feet from the head that were smaller than the ones on top.
That's all I can think of.Hope it helps.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Ages ago i skim read a book about a vortex on Eire or lake Ontario in the unexplained section of the libray it was a 70's publication

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
oh yea it was fun down there and then it died down which sucks.

and thanks for the description i just want to be lucky enough to be able to to see it ha.

and a vortex? i havent heard anything about that if you know more ill love to know.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join