It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girls, 13, given contraceptive implants at school

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Girls as young as 13 have been fitted with contraceptive implants at school without their parents knowing. The procedure was carried out in Southampton, Hants, as part of a government initiative to drive down teenage pregnancies.

I would probably have to be restrained if my daughters school gave her a contraceptive implant. I honestly believe that the health officials have the best intentions in this case, trying to reduce teen pregnancy, but the parents should have been involved. I'm really struggling to see how this could be legal.

Girls, 13, given contraceptive implants at school

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
A child can't get a Tattoo that says 'Mom' on their shoulder without parental consent..or even WITH it in many areas. Yet they can get an abortion and now, implants without so much as a word back to Mom and Dad about what medical procedures a child is having.

Of course Mom and Dad will be held criminally liable for complications that get out of hand for something they didn't even know happened. After all, it's their kid and reasonable levels of treatment aren't a good idea, they are the law. I don't suppose the fact no one deems a parent important enough to know it even happened would be enough of an excuse, either.

The world has gone mad...and obviously, our kids aren't ours when push comes to shove. Not when people outside the legal chain of custody (read: parents) can be sidelined from something of this nature. Apparently the state owns the kids and we just care for them.

edit on 7-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
OK, this is wrong on all sorts of levels. I would think that this would be illegal without getting parental authorization. Hell, when I was in high school, administration wouldn't give me an aspirin if I asked for it.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

I'm mixed on this.
Since I have 2 little girls myself.

On the one hand. I'd rather they have a contraceptive implant in them.
Instead of the other kind if you get my drift.

However I think that the parents should have been consulted before hand.

It's a step in the right direction. All too many times girls that age are extremely curious about sex.
And the results can be unwanted pregnancy. Something that girls that age are not really able to deal with.

Did the government overreach their authority? I think so.
I expect for there to be legal action over this.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Does anyone else see this as undermining parents who try to do the right thing, and instill the concept abstinence in their daughters, and sons.

This is a green light to go on and have all the sex you want. Your parents won't find out.....

link   
I know that my high school nurse gave out condoms to any one who asked for one. I know this because I asked for a few myself. Why pay when you can get them for free,right? No parent permission was needed. No forms filled out. Just, "Hey, can I have a condom?"

But this is a bit different. They are implanting a contraceptive and as the article suggests, it does seem to be a minor surgical procedure. A young kid may not know their full medical history. Then to have no follow up appointments to make sure everything is going fine and that there are no complications?

I think parents should be notified before such a thing is done. I am not upset that contraceptives are being offered. Not at all. In fact I think that is a good thing. Teens are sexually active. This is nothing new and it helps cut back on the risk of pregnancy and other such things.

What bothers me is the risk of giving these kids a minor surgical procedure with out follow ups to make sure all is going well. Parents need to know about that, so they can make sure that their child remains in good health.

That's how I see it anyway.

link   
This story is disturbing.

All I see is

link   
I'd be livid if a health organisation came into my child's school offering contraception implants to 13 year olds without seeking the permission of parents beforehand.

I agree with the Family Education Trust quote that "the implant fuels the flames of promiscuity by giving girls licence to have underage sex. "Norman Wells, director of the trust, has urged health chiefs to look at ways of discouraging sexual activity amongst children in the first place. " - You'd think that would be the priority, but how can it be effective when every form of media (books, films, tv, music) promotes the opposite?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFO1414
OK, this is wrong on all sorts of levels. I would think that this would be illegal without getting parental authorization. Hell, when I was in high school, administration wouldn't give me an aspirin if I asked for it.

"This is over and above national guidance and meeting all legal requirements."

This is in the UK, what country are you from?

"The last thing they should be doing is fuelling the flames of promiscuity and the sexual health crisis with schemes that treat parents, the law and basic moral principles with contempt."

One mother, whose 13-year-old daughter was given the implant, has called the scheme "morally wrong".

Well that's nice, I guess your daughter is morally wrong then? But she would have been without the implant so...

If this isn't reducing teen pregnancy, then you might be able to say it isn't needed. However, whatever "efforts" parents were making to keep their kids from getting down with each other, it just wasn't working - because pregnancy rates went down.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I have a big problem with this. It's one thing to give some condoms out at a school to promote safe sex, but an implant is a MEDICAL PROCEDURE and should only be done with the permission of the parents. There are risk such as infection involved, and I know if my daughter had this done, and something happened, the school wouldn't be left standing when I was finished.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

UK rights at work, you are a property of the queen. This would not fly in America.

File a complaint here www.royal.gov.uk...
edit on 7-2-2012 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

I'd be withdrawing any of my children from that school in a split second.

And the administration would be lucky if I didn't perform a minor surgical procedure on them and insert something of my own design.... Mind you, they would need follow up care, and hopefully like hospital food.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
I agree with the Family Education Trust quote that "the implant fuels the flames of promiscuity by giving girls licence to have underage sex. "Norman Wells, director of the trust, has urged health chiefs to look at ways of discouraging sexual activity amongst children in the first place. " - You'd think that would be the priority, but how can it be effective when every form of media (books, films, tv, music) promotes the opposite?

So I guess before this there was never any teenage pregnancy in the world? Damn the bastards that are fueling promiscuity!

I remember being a teenager, we didn't need encouragement for anything.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
this absolutely disgusts me beyond belief.

i'd be sueing the living cr&p out of a school that did that to a child of mine! quite apart from which i had the contraceptive implant once upon a time and i was practically suicidal because of it, never never again.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I'm having a ahrd time following you Boncho.

Are you saying you agree with this?

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
I have a big problem with this. It's one thing to give some condoms out at a school to promote safe sex, but an implant is a MEDICAL PROCEDURE and should only be done with the permission of the parents. There are risk such as infection involved, and I know if my daughter had this done, and something happened, the school wouldn't be left standing when I was finished.

That's a valid point.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
reply to post by boncho

I'm having a ahrd time following you Boncho.

Are you saying you agree with this?

You will notice I often don't make clear cut positions on topics sometimes. Instead, focusing on different issues within the topic.

Here is my breakdown:

1. This is the UK not the US or Canada, so North Americans don't need to have an emotional reaction about it. Although Canadians should be concerned because after all, we still have a Throne Speech every year.

2. Any argument against this should be about kids receiving medical treatment without the consent of the parents. That's it! Nothing more. Contraception should be offered and provided to teenagers, as it is part of maintaining sexual health.

A morality argument is not needed to condemn this issue. It has nothing to do with "encouraging" kids to have sex, but it has everything to do with not getting consent from parents.

Hope that clears it up.
edit on 7-2-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny
this absolutely disgusts me beyond belief.

i'd be sueing the living cr&p out of a school that did that to a child of mine! quite apart from which i had the contraceptive implant once upon a time and i was practically suicidal because of it, never never again.

That's something that I was thinking about when reading the article. What will happen if one of these young girls has a horrible reaction to the implant? That would be a shocking way to find out that your daughter had an implant put in at school.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If the last couple generations of parents had done their jobs properly raising their kids, then the grown ups wouldn't have to step in and take charge like this.

There's even a problem here with children not being toilet trained when they start school.

If you don't like it, stop jibber jabbering on conspiracy websites setting the world to rights and actually bring up your kids so other people don't have to

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join