It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain had to plead with US to take part in Iran Flottila

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Quite an interesting article in Todays Telegraph about Britain's Naval contribution to the Iran Flottila. It seems the American's were not really that bothered about have our Navy on board.

Defence sources have revealed that the Americans only relented and allowed a Royal Navy frigate to join the mission following an intervention from Nicolas Sarkozy, the French president.
The revelation that US defence chiefs saw little military value in UK participation will raise new questions about Britain’s international clout after Coalition defence cuts.
Amid rising tensions in the region, the Royal Navy last month deployed HMS Argyll, a Type 23 frigate, to the Gulf.

My favorite part

The source described the approach of France and Britain as “classic willy-waving”, accusing the two countries of posturing to conceal their military irrelevance to the confrontation with Iran.

Classic "willy-waving", just like we get on ATS.
www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 7-2-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Apart from looking looking after British subject in the Falklands and Gibraltar, I often wonder why the Brits even bother with the rest of the world, they have enough poop to deal with at home.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Personally i don't see the point of sending ship(s) to the area as its a waste of money when the Americans have got enough firepower to do the job so just sit back and watch the fun from well away and its not our troops risking their necks for no real reason.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Quite an interesting article in Todays Telegraph about Britain's Naval contribution to the Iran Flottila. It seems the American's were not really that bothered about have our Navy on board.

Defence sources have revealed that the Americans only relented and allowed a Royal Navy frigate to join the mission following an intervention from Nicolas Sarkozy, the French president.
The revelation that US defence chiefs saw little military value in UK participation will raise new questions about Britain’s international clout after Coalition defence cuts.
Amid rising tensions in the region, the Royal Navy last month deployed HMS Argyll, a Type 23 frigate, to the Gulf.

My favorite part

The source described the approach of France and Britain as “classic willy-waving”, accusing the two countries of posturing to conceal their military irrelevance to the confrontation with Iran.

Classic "willy-waving", just like we get on ATS.
www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 7-2-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

WWJ

Do you believe everything in the papers ?

Your post here and your posts on the Falklands threads lead me to believe you have an Anti-British sentiment at the moment..... is that true and if so why ?

Regards

PDUK

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
willy waving for who's benefit?

I doubt there are many that would feel put outbecause we werent involved

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
it's because of the great British military might, and being proud.
The jerry's never defeated us or set foot on our great nations ground so no one can.

oh wait a minute, that was all about 50 years ago.
Were a bunch of pussy's now with a mickey mouse outfit to guard the UK (scaled down to nothing worthwhile).

It is a great shame that the UK government want to keep poking their nose into matters that do NOT concern them.
We should stay out of such matters instead of sending in a token force.
edit on 7/2/2012 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Just because I'm not following the preferred party line when it comes to Britain's jingoistic foreign policy does not make me anti British. If you read my posts on the Falklands, you should see that my gripe was with the poster, who was waving his willy around talking about tactical nukes against the Argentinians. I just get a little tired of the chest beating and jingoism displayed by some British posters.

Of course I don't believe everything i read in the papers, but that does not mean everything in the papers is a lie. It is also from the Torygraph, so not some left leaning apologist newspaper.

But don't worry about me, I'm still proud to be British, but just take pride in different things. I don't take pride in our military misadventures and don't feel the need to wrap myself in the flag like so many feel the need to do.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Fairplay WWJ

I thought we had lost you .....

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
The reality is that the USA doesn't need anybody else for anything.

However, coalition operations are politically useful when selling the endeavour to the american public and other players do have some niche capabilities that can come in handy.

The Type 23 with an embarked Merlin is just what you want for screening against Iranian diesel attack subs. ASW is an RN specialty. If we have to send a token we've chosen a useful one.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well we wouldn't want to be accused of turning up late for WWIII would we. Unlike some countries we could mention in previous WW conflicts.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
ha ha that would be great wouldn't it.

The only British frigate turns up late to WW3 with the excuse 'sorry were late sir our Lusitania had not sunk yet'. lol

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Wow, that has to be the most embarrassing article on a country I've read in a long long time. Complete slam against the Brits, even worse for the fact that France had to plead for the Brits..

I take issue with two things. First.. Britain, sadly, is not exactly known for their naval prowess anymore. Why they feel the need to tag along .... with one frigate ... on a show of force is beyond me. But second.. Britain, which is one of our closest allies, should not be treated like the red headed step child. If they want to send a boat with our naval fleet, regardless if it's irrelevant, regardless if it serves no purpose, regardless if it just gets in the way, regardless if they are just trying to hop on a public display for national attention... they are our allies. We shouldn't treat them like that.

But Brits.. my God.. you should be ashamed that France had to come to your aid. As soon as Sarkozy offers to talk on your behalf you should have just said meh, F it .. we don't care anymore.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I think the UK is a little upset that Obama called France your closest ally. I mean the "special relationship" is very important to the British establishment, it's almost an obsession.

However, I don't really understand why we would have had to plead to join in the flottila, as we also have interests in the area and like someone posted before, it's better to have more countries represented, not just the USA.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
At least there was a possibility the RN ship would shoot a plane down, attack an enemy ship or even take a missile for one of the carriers.

The French ship ? Merde. If they can even sail it in a straight line and pass wind at the same time, it'd be nothing short of miraculous.

Time for the Suez losers to both let the USN run the show, I think !

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Obama called France our closest ally? Haha.. Well, that would show how disconnected the fool is. The majority of Americans do not view France favorably.. and the vast majority would never consider them our "closest ally." I don't know why the UK would have to plead to get in on the flotilla.. I'd totally understand excluding France, to exclude Britain though is a slap in the face.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Frankly, i dont believe it.
The whole things a farce, and the more the merrier id say.....
If the US could suck lithuania into sending a ship they would....Its all Good PR, and they desperately need all that they can get.
The Brits have stood beside their US allies pretty consistantly throughout the years....
The US is more than a small percentage OWNED by British interests(based in London)
The elites of both countries are closely related by blood and have been since the revolutionary war.
working together, running pretty much all of the banking system of both nations.
Time to wake up and look around....
Theres a square mile of London thats running the financial world....and its not part of the city!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This is complete bunk. The entire thing was planned with both the British and the French as show they were united. Anyone who tells you anything else is wrong. How do I know? I know people who were involved to planning it.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Mind, the same could be said of the Americans

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Wow, that has to be the most embarrassing article on a country I've read in a long long time. Complete slam against the Brits, even worse for the fact that France had to plead for the Brits..

I take issue with two things. First.. Britain, sadly, is not exactly known for their naval prowess anymore. Why they feel the need to tag along .... with one frigate ... on a show of force is beyond me. But second.. Britain, which is one of our closest allies, should not be treated like the red headed step child. If they want to send a boat with our naval fleet, regardless if it's irrelevant, regardless if it serves no purpose, regardless if it just gets in the way, regardless if they are just trying to hop on a public display for national attention... they are our allies. We shouldn't treat them like that.

But Brits.. my God.. you should be ashamed that France had to come to your aid. As soon as Sarkozy offers to talk on your behalf you should have just said meh, F it .. we don't care anymore.

The Royal Navy is in dire straits to be honest. HMS Albion and Bulwark are good assault ships, and the new Type 45 Destroyers are very top-of-the line, but our surface fleet is pretty scrappy otherwise ... Subs are still good though, tbh.

new topics

top topics

join