It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ReRAM competes to be tech's next memory chip standard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Unlike most RAM, ReRAM is non-volatile memory, meaning that it retains data without power.

Current types of non-volatile memory, such as flash memory, are used in everything from USB sticks to solid state drives.

But while flash memory is faster than hard disk storage, it is still significantly slower than RAM, particularly when it comes to writing data. This makes it less suitable for the many processes involved in running programs.

Just read this article on BBC and thought I would share. The idea seems really cool but at the same time sounds like it could cause more problems than its worth. A lot of the time, simply rebooting a PC/smartphone can fix problems because of the fact that the RAM memory is wiped clean.

Another thing to think about is viruses. If this memory does become the new standard a virus could be written so that it stays in the RAM indefinitely and infects other computers/devices.

So what does ATS think about it? Any other computer geeks out there with opinions?

ETA: Resistive random-access memory
edit on 2/4/12 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I think ram will be obsolete. My understanding is that ram is used because it takes to long to pull information off the hard drive, so the hard drive stores the files that need fast access in ram. Now we have SSD drives witch are way faster then mechanical hard drives. I do not think ram is going to stick around for long. Silicon could possibly die as well but its probably going to be as difficult change as it is from Oil to something else. I think the future for computers is light, fiber optics. Nothing is faster then speed of light. Light on would be 0 light off would be 1. Today our top of the line processor can handle any program x5 with ease. Its amazing how fast we are advancing in this technological age. Its been about 60 years. I wonder whats next.
edit on 4-2-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

You're right about why we use RAM in today's computers and I also think you're right about the future of computers being light. Electrons can only move so fast through a certain material whereas light is basically instant travel as far as humans are concerned. Thanks for the post.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thov420
Just read this article on BBC and thought I would share. The idea seems really cool but at the same time sounds like it could cause more problems than its worth. A lot of the time, simply rebooting a PC/smartphone can fix problems because of the fact that the RAM memory is wiped clean.

Yeah but as the technology for phones get better I can see them employing a ROM backup of a OS so a full cold boot would load that up, but i think it use is for more power cuts and also laptop that run out of batteries and as well SSD's

Originally posted by thov420
Another thing to think about is viruses. If this memory does become the new standard a virus could be written so that it stays in the RAM indefinitely and infects other computers/devices.

Again a ROM could stop this from happening
edit on 4-2-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
that's all true but, realistically your average user still doesn't even have a fiber optic internet..not to mention a fiber optic computer any time soon. ssd's are still expensive and the new ones coming out this year are made with TLC NAND memory which is a downgrade and they last about 4 years. also, DDR4 ram is to be released this year or 2013 by samsung.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

I agree with your points about the future of computing being in photonics; however, I think RAM will stay around for quite sometime. The fast kind you are talking about is dirt cheap these days and does not have the issues of long term wear out like the flash memory in SSD's.

As for the ReRam, we will have to wait and see... My guess is that it will replace Flash, at least in part, but it won't be as much of a replacement for DRAM.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
IMO, the next version of Windows or any other OS (Mac etc) will not be software, but a chip you insert into the motherboard. Think of how fast the old Nintendo cartridges loaded. Near instantly...

Now, for updates and patches, you will still need a hard drive, or flash the large chip like EPROM. This could also help protect the OS files from virus files--I mean, they will always find a way, but it will help.

So boot times for a future version of your OS will load in less than 10 seconds.. This will also reduce pirating GREATLY.

This 'Chip slot' would be a 'universal' slot.. so ANY OS chip can be installed.. make the playing field even.. they would have too.. the FTC would be all over them if they didn't...

Just something I thought would come to be YEARS ago.. I'm surprised Microsoft and Apple don't move towards that format...
edit on 2/4/2012 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

top topics

join