It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't call 911! The terrifying life-like sculptures bringing panic to the streets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

These incredible street sculptures of people stuck in the most uncompromising positions are proving so convincing worried pedestrians have been reporting them to the ambulance service and police.

Some of these are quite clever but some could give you a heart attack if you were older with high blood pressure especially the dude with the baseball bat also it is probaly wasting a lot of time for the emergency services anyway enjoy the pics
edit on 3-2-2012 by Bilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Love the artistic concept.

Didn't like the violence though....

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

Hey, nice find OP.

Um......a sculpture that re-creates the image in your avatar would be a great addition to the gallery.......

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Artist Mark says he aims to get people to look up from the mobile phones and engage with the world around them

Wow..i think it's cool! Some of them...scary! People need to wake up..there is world around them and its NOT in their fricking mobiles..i agree with the artist!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Don't see any sense behind it. As the article says, it leads to a lot of scare, emergency calls and has absolutely no point in it. So this guy think people on the street do nothing but staring on their mobile phone? I guess he must be some 50 year old guy who hates the 21st Century and i don't know, i would rather look at my mobile phone reading news from the world than looking at some puppets created by a douchebag who possibly gets a kick out of scaring people.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I like the concepts behind some of them ,my favorite the girl suspended stepping onto a building from thin air .my least favorite ,baseball bat Ninja guy creepy!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I don't like that crap at all. why influence people with this subconscious zombie end of the world crap??
thats what I see when I see those images, I just finished reading a book on aesthetics, these images are most likely a form of mimesis, what the guy is seeing around him, not good. a play on tragedy. IMO. usually i'm not so heavyhearted, but theres enough death and crap in the world, we don't need to frighten the hell out of people with more death imagery.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
DOUBLE POST

edit on 3-2-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

People seem to be disgusted by this or something?
Lighten up!!
Why get so angry at this but not the crap you see in the media or wherever else?
You know I think the funniest part about this is that while some people call emergency services, probably 99% of people would walk past and not even care one bit. That’s the world we live in, get angry about that not some art.
Or get angry at all the rude, intruding and often disgusting advertising that gets crammed down our throats..
Would you rather see this stuff or the millions of billboards and flashing lights that are everywhere?

This is art, no one can claim it’s not because art is what the artist makes it.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

As cool as they all are, I can see some consequences. It will most likely cause a "cry wolf" syndrome where people in the area will get used to seeing these sculptures and then ignore somebody who may genuinely need some help.

It's just a side effect of expressive freedom, however, and I wouldn't change that for all the Twinkies in Thailand.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cuervo

"Cry Wolf", always a problem in this overly 'PC' world. Couple of years ago, guy put this Christmas decoration up on his house:

....The good news is that I truly out did myself this year with my Christmas decorations. The bad news is that I had to take him down after 2 days.
I had more people come screaming up to my house than ever, great stories. But two things made me take it down. First, the cops advised me that it would cause traffic accidents as they almost wrecked when they drove by. Second, a 55 year old lady grabbed the 75 pound ladder and almost killed herself putting it against my house and didn't realize it was fake until she climbed to the top (she was not happy). By the way, she was one of many people who attempted to do that.

Source

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I think these types of art help keep people on their toes.
love the supporting elements in some of the photos like the guy face down in the calm river under the bridge with balloons tied to him and pink character watching from above.

it's really good dark humor, and appreciate the fact that it could help wake people up to their surroundings.
brilliant.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton

it's really good dark humor, and appreciate the fact that it could help wake people up to their surroundings.
brilliant.

Its good dark humour yes but its not going to help the person who takes their eyes off the road to get a second look then centrepunches the back of a truck

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilder

Originally posted by zooplancton

brilliant.

Its good dark humour yes but its not going to help the person who takes their eyes off the road to get a second look then centrepunches the back of a truck
So we should be criticising and banning advertising as well?
If your going to crash because of that it says more about your driving then it does about the sculptures..

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

Not at all I think the artwork is great im just saying with the shock value of some of the pieces they should be placed away from roads and into places where there are just pedestrians

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I love this kind of art and the concept behind all of them also i like the artist's sence of humor good thread..S&F peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I wonder how much in government grants this "artist" has received over the years...

Most artists apply for grants to help fund their displays.

It would be even more interesting to see what taxpayers "shock" reaction would be if they found out that they were the ones to have funded this.

edit on 4-2-2012 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by Bilder

Hey, nice find OP.

Um......a sculpture that re-creates the image in your avatar would be a great addition to the gallery.......

LOL yeah maybe a proctologist could set it up outside his office

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Holy Moly some of those are really freaky. If I thought there was a dead body I'd most likely freak out. And the statue of the guy with the bat! I would have a heart attack! How was he able to place these around his city without a permit or license or permission? Or was he given permission and by who? Some are ok but others are way over the edge (no pun intended)

new topics

top topics

join