It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to Add Spider Genes to Human Genome to Create ‘Bulletproof Skin’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Scientists now appearing to be looking at making Human skin bulletproof

Spider silk is much stronger than Kevlar (the material used in traditional bulletproof vests), and scientists are now saying that it could actually be used to create an internal bulletproof skin vest.

This is really going to far IMHO pretty soon at this rate there is going to be new hybrid soldiers getting around,mix in a little mind control and we are all going to be in deep doodoo

The lab-grown skin fused with the ‘silk’ is currently capable of withstanding a direct impact from a bullet fired below full speed.

Although the skin wouldnt stop massive internal injuries from high impact rounds

naturalsociety.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I am sure it won't be long before they work out a way to add the silk gene, to our gene's responsible for making proteins,

And then all of our flesh, internal and external will be "bulletproof".

Its scary times we are living in right now

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Tr....tran.....transhumanism? Meep
Something evil this way comes...for sure.
"Yeah we'll get em with somethin cool like Spider Man Skin...then...."

'

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilder
naturalsociety.com...

Naturalsociety isnt the news source here any more than your posting is.
They've just taken the work of New Scientist and claimed it as their own.

See the video.

The actual news article, written by the actual journalists (as opposed to a plagiarist) is HERE at the New Scientist web site.

Edit - actually there's quite a lot of this type of theft happening on the net. Real journalists do some real investigative work with real interviews of real people doing real things, and sites like the one you quotes just steal their work and claim it as their own.
Naturalnews is another that steals works, but gets quoted on ATS a lot.

edit on 3-2-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
That seriously makes me think Morgellon's disease might have been failed or first run research attempts.

Ack.
I wonder what it would feel like to have...nevermind....I have such a dirty mind.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This is fantastic! It's amazing the advancements we're making as a species.

I don't know why some people say this is "wrong" or whatever. The more we keep thinking like that, the more stuck we're going to get.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Could this end up being a new super bug or something even worse? Adding insect dna to ours is a bit creepy I think. It will not stop someone from being killed so why try to create it? Couldn't they design it for something else? Like super strong material used in making blankets that will never rip or tear? I would be able to keep a favorite blanket my whole life!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
As the article states, they've already added the Spider Gene to Goats. They secrete the silk protein in their milk, the milk is then broken down chemically(?) and Voila..... Spider Silk.

Spider Goats - The Guardian - I watched this programme (it's not just about the Spider Goats). I don't have much of a scientific mind, but it was kind of amazing yet disconcerting watching and hearing about the things they are playing around with. If you can get BBC iPlayer, it should be on there to watch.

Spider Goats - BBC News

The OP's linked article doesn't surprise me at all. They've probably already tried this experimentation with the spider gene on just about anything they can get their hands on.

edit on 3-2-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
while i am against the government genetically modifying us and messing with our genes...

this sounds very cool!

i am 100% for strengthening and reinforcing the human body!

i want to have superpowers lol.

but what would the world be like if everyone couldn't get hurt as easily?

slightly better right?

they better keep original pure clean copies of lots of good normal DNA before they started messing with it in case they mess up and everyone gets sick or turns into something else.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
That seriously makes me think Morgellon's disease might have been failed or first run research attempts.

Ack.
I wonder what it would feel like to have...nevermind....I have such a dirty mind.

no no! please share!!

in before you say the ability to shoot web out of your... when you.... LOL

please share though! i am curious!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Oh please no.. Dr Smith

edit on 3-2-2012 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
while i am against the government genetically modifying us and messing with our genes...

this sounds very cool!

i am 100% for strengthening and reinforcing the human body!

i want to have superpowers lol.

slightly better right?

I just cant see this being out there for the average person on the street it will be developed for military use to keep the rest of us supressed and if guns dont overly affect them then we will be in trouble

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
This is all inevitable really, I saw a program where they talked about this type of genetic modification for astronauts who were visiting planets with different atmosphere's and environments. I mean I don't know hoe this technology works, but maybe if it's perfected, humans could grow wings, see in the dark and swim under water.

I think before that happens we will see a genetic super class and a genetic under class.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
This technology has always been around. Politicians have already crossed their DNA with mosquitoes or leeches.

This'll never happen. The oil companies will stop them. They don't want people to be swinging from buildings instead of using cars.
Either that or it'll be the clothes industry. Why buy your clothes when you can make your own silk?
If they're going to cross our DNA with anything it should be cockroaches. We'd be bulletproof, nuclear proof (heck, everything proof), and we'd be able to go a week or so without our heads until we finally die from not being able to drink water.

slightly better right?

Nah, we'd just build more deadly guns. Man is good at escalation.

they better keep original pure clean copies of lots of good normal DNA before they started messing with it in case they mess up and everyone gets sick or turns into something else.

I wanna see people walking around with six arms like in the cartoons. Either that or people pushing their wrists with their middle and ring fingers to activate their web powers. Or watching webs come out of... well, you know.

Spider-man, Spider-man, does whatever a spider can...
Great now I got that song stuck in my head.
edit on 3-2-2012 by tinfoilsrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

but what would the world be like if everyone couldn't get hurt as easily? slightly better right?

Unfortunately, no.

It will only lead to better weapons being developed, to kill just as efficiently, that is unfortunately the world we live in.

vvv

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

Sounds cool , Think in the couple of millennia coming we will all be biologically engineered, for various purposes...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I can just see it now. The aliens looking down on us and saying, "I always knew they were insects."

Originally posted by 0bserver1
reply to post by Bilder

Sounds cool , Think in the couple of millennia coming we will all be biologically engineered, for various purposes...

Yeah, we could have the "worker ants," the "queens" who do nothing but reproduce, the bee people to make honey and so on.
Actually if we cross DNA with anything maybe it should be ants, termites, or bees (or some other social insect). Maybe we'd all learn to get along for once. Nah, we'd just be better at coordinating our attacks.
It'd be really funny if the military did something like crossed DNA with a bear so that they could get really gnarly warriors and what came out were the Care Bears.
"OK, troops, Care Bear Stare."
Wait, I think I just figured out how to stop war..
(I call Bedtime Bear)
On a side note, I want bee DNA that way I could fly (bees fly without it following the rules of flight), make honey, and finally learn how to dance. No wait, wasp would be better that way I could sting people and still live.
Then again if everyone knew that they only had one sting in them, maybe we could learn to get along...
I love this plan! I'm excited to be part of it! Let's do it!
Edit: Better yet, cats. I'd like this just because I could go "Thunder! Thunder! Thundercats, ho!!!"
Just as long as it wasn't Smurfs. That isn't Smurfy at all. That song would drive me nuts. Great now I got that one stuck in my head. La-la-lalala-la-la-la-laaa...
edit on 3-2-2012 by tinfoilsrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

your member picture made me laugh so hard that i might not be a boy anymore.

oh lawd mah b's

haha!

i wonder if they can create regenerative Carbon Fiber reinforced spider silk graphene in everyone's body so that they can be really strong/fast/difficult to damage etc.

even make people way more skinny if they can support the structure of the human body while slimming it down?

maybe that's why grey aliens are so skinny?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilsrule

oh yes! i would love to customize my body and add things and edit things ( i would save an original copy just in case i mess up )

i would take away the normal ears and make them furry cat/animal ears.

also i wonder what it would be like if i was a furry?

hmm?

i would have so much fun changing my looks and stuff!

also, i would give myself an infallible nervous system like the krogans from mass effect

and two hearts instead of one, so that each heart can rest longer between beats.

also i would add a set of back up testi... you know LOL... just in case i lost mine.

or better yet, the ability to regenerate any damage!

it would be cool to have a copy of information in every cell in our body, of how to make any other cell in the body!

like star fish or salamanders.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

reply to post by tinfoilsrule

i would have so much fun changing my looks and stuff!

I think we just invented a new fashion craze.
I could just see it. "Cat ears are just so last season..."
That would be so weird if people could change their appearance as easily as we can change pants. Go in to work and your co-worker says, "Weren't you Mexican yesterday?"
I could imagine the field day criminals would have.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join