It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok we know Google can be a bit spooky, but how about WIKI?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I was discussing something with a friend of mine over Skype.
We decided to do some simple research on WIKI.
We always try to compete who is the fastest.
This time we could not agree on the outcome.

What happened was that we both had a different text in front of us.
So we send each other the link we had found.
They turned out to be identical.
Still different text.
We even used a program to share our screens, we both thought the other was cheating.
There was no other conclusion that , based on our IP, we got a different text from WIKI, while we used the same link.

How about that????????

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
There was probably just an edit between the times you guys were viewing it. You click, edit, he clicks and then you see different pages.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

How different were the pages?

There's editing, and then there's makeover. If it's a makeover, who knows?

link   

Originally posted by JoshF
There was probably just an edit between the times you guys were viewing it. You click, edit, he clicks and then you see different pages.

Yeah, what he said, if you go back to that wiki page to see its history of revision, maybe an edit made it through to your screen or his, while you were both loading. Wiki self-edits all the time, two people getting slightly different screens is nothing to worry about.

I recall one time I was looking at WW1 pages, found a page on Canadian weapons in WW1 that had been completely defaced by some Halo freak, saying we had plasma pistols and plasma grenades. What the hell man.

As long as the page still had factually correct information, it's alright. What page was it?

link   

That cant be the case because we reloaded several times,
We really taught both that the other was trying to cheat.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Pokoia

How different were the pages?

There's editing, and then there's makeover. If it's a makeover, who knows?

I know my friend had a far larger page , with more text

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
theres alot of background servers so while you are both looking at the 'same' page the load balancing servers are sending your requests to different servers which have results that are not yet synchronised

its sort of like ringing a company and getting two different people with 2 different pieces of paper infront of them, the number you rang is the same but the answers are different

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Reloading is different from refreshing,sometimes when you just click on the link you see the version you saw earlier. I do web design and have to tell one client to refresh (F5) every time I tell him i had made the changes he wanted because his browser always brings up the last version he saw.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sachyriel

As long as the page still had factually correct information, it's alright. What page was it?

I cant remember what page it was, It was more than a month ago.
I posted it now because I saw something , here on ATS, about Google.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Reloading is different from refreshing,sometimes when you just click on the link you see the version you saw earlier. I do web design and have to tell one client to refresh (F5) every time I tell him i had made the changes he wanted because his browser always brings up the last version he saw.

Thanks but I do know how to refresh.
We did that of course.Still same result. We really thought that Wiki was doing the same as Google.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
My friend and i would play a game on wikipedia called "add a zero" we would go through and add zeros to any number we felt like. It would get pretty funny, "the brown bear can get up to 90 feet from head to body"

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
You might have caught a server that isn't as up to date as the server your friend got through, maybe they're not always 100% syncronised. I'm sure theres a very simple technological explanation for this

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy
You might have caught a server that isn't as up to date as the server your friend got through, maybe they're not always 100% syncronised. I'm sure theres a very simple technological explanation for this

Well thank you!!
That could be the answer, we do have different providers.

new topics

top topics

join