It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caution on Twitter urged as tourists barred from US

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Caution on Twitter urged as tourists barred from US

www.bbc.co.uk

Holidaymakers have been warned to watch their words after two friends were refused entry to the US on security grounds after a tweet.

Before his trip, Leigh Van Bryan wrote that he was going to "destroy America".

He insisted he was referring to simply having a good time - but was sent home.

Trade association Abta told the BBC that the case highlighted that holidaymakers should never do anything to raise "concern or suspicion in any way".
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
An over-reaction to yoof speak or justified action on the part of US border control in the interests of security?

America I am sorry - I have visited your shores on several occasions prior to new legislation being enacted that permitted US authorities to utterly invade my privacy (while still in the UK) in the name of the 'war on terror' simply because I have purchased a ticket to travel there.

The US will never again see my tourist dollar - and I have nothing to hide - only money to spend.

It was ABTA's response that truly galled me in this piece. Who the hey knows what will 'raise concern or suspicion in any way' - particularly as it has long, and correctly, been held that we are two nations divided by a common tongue. (How we laughed when Puff Daddy changed his name to P. Diddy)

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31-1-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Freedumb in america is Officially dead! it wont be long until our own citizens are being carted off and removed from our own land because of our fearful leaders... just last week they were demonizing a law enforcement officer for a facebook picture. I hope the people are watching this sort of thing sadly most think big brother obama is the worlds savior. so much for his Nobel peace prize.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I'm seriously considering asking around for political asylum. Of course, I'd probably just be seen as disgusting immigrant from a backwards, underdeveloped nation.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
so.. I've been to Europe and correct me if i'm wrong but isnt destroy slang for party in places like the UK?

So can we place this under "thought crimes"

or is it in its own category "tweet crimes?"

just aweful

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The1Prettiest1One
I'm seriously considering asking around for political asylum. Of course, I'd probably just be seen as disgusting immigrant from a backwards, underdeveloped nation.

I have been seriously thinking the same thing sad times have fallen on what was once a beautiful country... the envy of the world now we have become the bully of the world do as i say not as I do.

I am ASHAMED to be an american... time to buy a boat and become no ones citizen.
edit on 1/31/2012 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Disgusting but not surprising in the least.... just like my co-worker that laughed at me like I was making # up when I relayed the story until I provided the link.. not so effin funny is it.

This country is done,.. DONE.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Because a terrorist would twitter his plans..

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
No one should ever get "sh!t faced" in the US or else they might get arrested for being a sex offender...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by The1Prettiest1One

You wouldn't be the first

Home Office statistics show that between 2004 and 2008, 45 Americans submitted asylum applications to the UK Border Agency claiming they had fled the US and were unable to go back because they had a well-founded fear of persecution. Fifteen Canadians also applied. All 60 were turned down.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Man.... what a load of crap!!

Seriously?

If someone said "I'm going to get wasted in America" would they be rejected on the grounds that they were coming to commit suicide or something?

Shouldn't they do some kind of check into the person, not just turn them away?

How ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I'm not surprised, at least not from there. I suspect it's a matter of who is asking. I'm sure they don't want any of it. I do know where it has worked, even recently and why. That's all I'll say.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL
I am ASHAMED to be an american... time to buy a boat and become no ones citizen.
edit on 1/31/2012 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

It is becoming an embarrasment, more now than ever.

One online friend has said that the U.S. is quite a scary friend to have these days (closely paraphrased). I'm not sure the full intent of what he was saying since I'm likely not privy to everything but it was an interesting comment.
edit on 1/31/2012 by The1Prettiest1One because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
Because a terrorist would twitter his plans..

Indeed, sir. That's why it's so easy to catch terrorists, because they ALL fit the stereotype, and THEY all publicly announce their plans ahead of time.

Don't you watch any movies?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks that foreigners who publicly state they want to destroy America should NOT be allowed in?

Even if that is not what the meant, maybe they should not be allowed in because of stupidity.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

No. Any form of speech that could even be miscontrued as unamerican is an act of war, and you will be treated as an enemy combatant!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Am I the only one who thinks that foreigners who publicly state they want to destroy America should NOT be allowed in?

Even if that is not what the meant, maybe they should not be allowed in because of stupidity.

actions speak louder than words... we have freedom of speach writen into our constitution for a reason..

if someone threatens me what do the police do? NOTHING.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

When the Tourism drops a 10% or 20% because of over sensitive and paranoid authorities, we'll see who's the stupid one

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
When the Tourism drops a 10% or 20% because of over sensitive and paranoid authorities, we'll see who's the stupid one

Then we'll have to abduct more people so they can stay in one of our finer "Hotels" (with free room and board)!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

It's actually a very common phrase in the UK, particularly amongst the bar scene, where this guy works. If he had said he was going to have a smashing time in the US would they think he was going to literally smash all the glass he could find. Get a grip...

Apparently the tweet was sent weeks before he went too. Plenty of time for 'intelligence' (!) agencies looking into this perceived threat to realise that this is far from threatening. Of course they must have been far too busy policing the internet...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join