It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird swarm plagues La Grange Kentucky residents daily

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
First of all, I've searched for this using about every search term imaginable, so apologies if it's already posted here. I was rather surprised that it isn't.

Anyway, LaGrange, Kentucky is being absolutely invaded with thousands and thousands of birds. The residents are actually carrying umbrellas just to stay clean because the bird droppings are constant. I have a cousin who lives there and she says that it is maddening. Besides just being an annoyance, many residents are also reporting illnesses. The illnesses haven't been proven to be a result of the bird infestation, but residents say that the illness came when the birds came so it's really a case of putting two and two together.

Residents of La Grange Kentucky, U.S. are being plagued by a swarm of birds that arrive daily before dark. According to reports, the birds have been visiting by the thousands since November. In the meantime, some residents in La Grange are suffering from respiratory and eye infections. They also complain about the stench left by bird droppings.

Source

The locals have resorted to using "sound cannons" in attempt to scare the birds away, but it doesn't seem to be helping and they don't know what else to do.

Here is a vid from the link:

Of course, many locals liken this to the Alred Hitchcock movie "The Birds." Freaky stuff!

Does anyone here live in the LaGrange area? I'm in Kentucky, but not in that immediate vicinity. I've been following this story on our local news channels and it is absolutely insane! Any idea why birds would do this? Most of the locals can't really think of a reason why so many birds would choose their town over any other. I feel for them! I duck and check my clothes after just five or six birds fly over. I can't imagine having literally tens of thousands hovering overhead!

edit on 1/28/2012 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Very creepy and potentially dangerous -

But a far greater danger is presented by the tons of guano (bird poop to you) left behind by these unwanted trespassers. When the guano sinks into the soil, it promotes histoplasmosis spores, which, when they become airborne, can infect the lungs and eyes of humans and animals. It is a leading cause of blindness.

www.louisville.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

That's terrible! I hate to think about so many people having to breathe that in ALL the time!

I wonder if this bird behavior is somehow connected to this crazy, unseasonal weather we are having here. Starlings tend to stick around for most of the winter, so perhaps not, but it does make me wonder. It's almost like fall never left. That's the case for Kentucky as a whole though, so it probably doesn't explain why this town is getting invaded.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Sound cannons dont work huh?

Just set off a few fire works then...
They will die off in the thousands...

Accordingly... that worked before

Also could it be they are just paying homage to La Grange native

William J. CROWe former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

get it CROWe? haha

Or maybe they are visiting their Jail Bird friends? Since there is 4 prisons in La Grange...

Sorry had to get out a little bird humor...

In seriousness I do see a connection to this and maybe the Arctic Snow Owls...
Maybe they are magnetically compelled to be there?

interesting, thanks for sharing!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Haha - very clever post and I agree, they should try fireworks because it has been a proven *cough* bird killer in the past.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Yep, it's the end of the world as we know it. And the birds are only the beginning. Next is going to be a giant dinosaur that breathes fire and a 100 foot tall gorilla.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
LOL. I love the responses! Seems this could be our opportunity to test the theory that fireworks kill flocks of birds.

Or perhaps they need to build bigger parking lots so the birds will think they are lakes and dive bomb them. (Wait, starlings probably wouldn't do that anyway, lol.)

I tried to make a humorous connection with the prisons in the area, but it just didn't came to me. Jail birds, lol. Now how did I miss that one? haha! Hilarious.

I'm one of those people who are against killing animals, just because I'm too soft hearted, but I think I'll actually suggest to some of the people there to pop off a few works and see what happens... basically because I don't think any birds will die.

I'm not a fan of starlings because they scare the little birds away from my bird feeders in my yard, but I guess they have their place here on Earth, like the rest of us. I just wish the huge flocks would spread out or split up and go elsewhere to give these people a break. That has to be getting old.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I think if they used explosives that create a shockwave would stun large portions of them and drop them right out of the sky..I don't like hurting critters, but just saying...

They would need to seed explosive charges in fields and then detonate by remote control when the cloud of birds is near them...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well they have to be coming FROM somewhere, so maybe wherever they're coming FROM is going to have an earthquake soon? You know, animals can sense it before people and they usually get away from the area.

new topics

top topics

join