It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange urges? Tell me yours...and where do they come from?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This thread had a few posts about people who feel an irrational urge to jump off of high places. It made me remember an interesting conversation about how many of us get inexplicable urges to do really dumb, harmful things to ourselves. Here are a few of mine:

1) For some strange reason, when I turn on the garbage disposal in the kitchen sink, I sometimes feel the urge to stick my hand down in there.

2) Ever since I moved into this apartment, I've had an odd urge to grab the 12th floor balcony railiing and alley-oop myself, gymnast style, over the top of it.

3) One of my friends talked about riding through a high mountain pass and feeling drawn to steer the car over the edge.

Please let me emphasize that I would never do any of these things. I'm not suicidal, and have no wish to harm myself. As soon as the thought enters my mind, I say, "That's crazy!" Then, I dismiss it and go about my mentally healthy business.

But, where do such odd thoughts originate in the first place? And, how about you? Have you ever felt like sticking your hand in a fan or stepping in front of a fast-moving UPS truck?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

Mine is to scream out in a silent room. It comes from my OCD.
The real kind, too, not the fake kind.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

where do they come from?

Television programing...
Music programing...
Prescription medications.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
You have Purely Obsessional OCD.

en.wikipedia.org...

I know many with it.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I'll admit to the sink disposal thing too.

Like you also mentioned, I'd never do such a thing and am not suicidal, but I have often thought of driving my car at high speeds into a bridge abutment just to see if the airbags would protect me from dying on impact.

An even weirder one my not even be possible. But if becoming a ghost is possible after death, i have an overwhelmimg urge to attend my own autopsy.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Whenever I watch Fox news, I get a strange urge to hate and yell.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I have very nice long hair. Take good care of it, and people often compliment me on my hair. I'm 61, and have had long hair my whole life. Sometimes I have this almost overwhelming urge, while standing in front of the bathroom mirror, to grab a pair of scissors, and whack it all real short. I don't know why this happens, and it's not often. I never do it, and the urge passes.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Just pass them the scalpel and scare them

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
lately i've been getting urges to eat chocolate, especially late at night.

Also urges to waste money, on random crap at stores..

and no i'm not a woman..

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507
You have Purely Obsessional OCD.

en.wikipedia.org...

I know many with it.

Meh. Not so much. The wiki article described it as "Common intrusive thoughts/obsessions" and said, "The person begins to ask themselves constantly "Am I really capable of something like that?"

I should have made it clear that these strange impulses occur only once in a blue moon for me. Like most disorders, the differentiation between a healthy individual and one who suffers from the disorder is in the frequency of the thoughts, and the amount of disruption they cause in the person's life. In my case, it's neither frequent nor disruptive. That's probably true of most people.

link   
I get urges to bite sometimes.
Not anything hard,
but my wife wont let me bite her

We will be sitting on the couch and I will look over and just wanna take a bite...lol

Guess she got bit really hard as a kid.
It is a feeling like chewing on rubber boots until I actually bite my arm or something.

link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

Whenever I watch Fox news, I get a strange urge to hate and yell.

I hear ya, speculativeoptimist!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I posted this exact same thread last night in the same forum sorry beat you to it. Look up "The OCD in you?" and you will see. Please don't copy my posts.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Man I used to experience this with my gal, I always wanted to bite here cute little chubby cheeks, and I often did. She loved it though and it she would recognize my pre-bite look and get giggly and start running through the house as I chased her. We had a lot of fun playing around with each other. Too bad she turned out to be pyscho.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
I get urges to bite sometimes.
Not anything hard,

We will be sitting on the couch and I will look over and just wanna take a bite...lol

Guess she got bit really hard as a kid.
It is a feeling like chewing on rubber boots until I actually bite my arm or something.

Darkblade, is it possible that you were a Schnauzer in a previous life?

Just kidding. I can understand that impulse, as well as the cutting hair, chocolate-eating, running into an bridge abuttment urges.

And, Avelessa, I once had the urge to stand up in a serious business meeting and either scream or launch into a stream of foul language. But, that was probably because the speaker was boring us to tears.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
when this ideas enter your mind, how does it stop ? is it stopped by another thought ? are there 2 forces batteling ? or is it another thought that helps you out ?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoraUndergroundLabs
I posted this exact same thread last night in the same forum sorry beat you to it. Look up "The OCD in you?" and you will see. Please don't copy my posts.

It's not the *exact* same thread. ...don't get your knickers in a wad. ATS is huge forum, plenty of room for everyone.
edit on 28-1-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoraUndergroundLabs

Wow. Accusing me of copying your post is wrong. It's also rather rude. I assure you that, like most ATSers, I never saw your post. If you hang around this site long enough, you'll find that members often have similar thoughts about a subject. No need to turn accusatory.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Ive always wanted to bite into a big bar of soap....never did it cause soap is disgusting and will probably give me the runs.Sometimes I walk by the shower and look at it, wondering what it would feel like to bite it. I think its just childish curiosity left over from those infant years you do put everything in your mouth.
Ive had the hair cutting urges. Did it a few times, always regretted it. So that urge has ceased in my mind.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
i did that soap thing once, yucky though.

when i was a kid there was this cough medicine or w/e dont remember but it tasted like bubble gum, yummy LOL
edit on 28-1-2012 by wlord because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join