It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mystery of 100+ mpg cars, and the disappearance & deaths of men behind it

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JimmyNeutron

wow must be some type of off topic record

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by gambon

Did you enjoy the thread? Besides allowing myself to sucked into a conversation with a troll... Doh! There was some really good stuff.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by gambon

Yeah I guess some people cant accept the fact that they are wrong about something and have to blantentantly attack someone (With no knowledge of the subject at hand) becuase they don't agree on their views. Its a shame that we have so many of these people on ATS. Regardless I cant believe that people accept the claims of some of these posters its truey mind boggling. Claims of HHO injected carburators and outrageous claims of spectacular gas mileage in cars from the 60s and 70's with the only proof being their first hand experence and ability to google some fancy wording to back their claims. Any hard evidence is always few and far between. I really really wish we could DENY IGNORANCE like this site promotes but it always ends up the same with people getting frustrated with thier lack of intelligence and resorting to name calling and insults.
edit on 12-2-2012 by solids0be because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Well I certainly disagree with you.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
im gonna make 1

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SpunGCake

good luck just remember it is 2012 now , not 1977 , the latest i could find infomation on in the above links....still on carbys back then

some history on tom ogle mentioned in all autowrenches sources..
www.rexresearch.com...

www.rexresearch.com...

"The El Paso Public Library has a considerable newspaper-clipping file about Ogle.

Brief discussion of Ogle: www.automotiveforums.com... .
"...the company that bought him out later reported that his
designs didn't work." and "Tom Ogle, died under somewhat mysterious
circumstances - just shortly after selling out to a company in Seattle."
Possibly [?]:
Advanced Combustion Systems Incorporated
1999 Alpine Way
Bellingham, WA 98226-7604
Phone: (360)676-6005 "

edit on 26-2-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by solids0be

Im new here. This is a pretty old thread I understand. But I feel as if I needed to comment here. First of all just wanted to say that though I have not reached 100+ mpg I have reached around 70 mpg on a chevy straight six. The reason I do not give out all the info on how i achieved such a thing is because oil companies are not the only greedy ones. I am as well. Im not going to just share with the world something that has taken me 10 years to figure out. I have had people approach me and ask to see the engine, etc... I just tell them I made it up to mess with a friend. I have plans beyond mpg and profits at this point. This is off topic but some of you say why would anyone including big companies want to hide something efficient........I dont know why....but i can say this.....I have invented many things....to save me money.....my electric bill is probably 70% lower than most anyone in the world with a family......my water bill is the same........for example....i simply created a system that refilters the bath water to reuse in the shower and in the toilets...i have modified the toilets to use less water and modifed the shower to have more pressure with less water....i also trap rain water and reuse it.......it didnt cost a lot....it doesnt take up any space but its saves me hundreds of dollars........i know im not the only person in the world that can figure it out.....its pretty simple....BUT you cant buy my set up or one like it at lowes or home depot....so does that mean its not possible? NO because Im doing it..........NOW........for you people that say put your money where your mouth is.....I WILL..........but you do the same..........If you want to make a bet with me saying im full of BS........then lets do it.......pm me........lets set something up........Im more than willing to prove to anyone that wants to wager and make it worth my while!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rrville

So you trap and store rain water, but it takes up no space. That is some pretty impressive technology. Sell that and you will be able to buy your own continent.

It's BS for the simple reason that you would patent what your MPG increase technology and sell it and be the richest man in the world in one day.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by rrville

Once again, all your evidence is first hand knowledge that you wont share because the Big oil companies will come and kill you...OOOOHHH KKK. No offence buddy but your just spewing the same crapola as that Autowrench guy..and again I dont believe your story either about 70MPG from a chevy Straight 6...unless thats what it gets on a dyno stand and you estimated the approx gas mileage...even still its still an outlandish claim. So please dont tell me how you make your straight 6 get that kind of gas mileage, make a uncut unedited video of you pouring a gallon of gas in your empty gas tank of your straight 6 vehicle and then videotape the odometer as you get your 70MPG....then ill believe you....sounds fair to me.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
BUMP...

87RON??? It that even petrol? lowest pump fuel here in Au is 91RON

I actually came here from a Google search trying to find a satisfactory answer to the question:
Why do American V8's (V8's sold in the US including ones imported, not US engines sold in other markets) have an exhaust crossover pipe (H-pipe, X-pipe)?

The answer I frequently encounter is to do with firing order of the Detroit V8s. Its unsatisfactory because German V8's have a different (more logical) firing order and they still require a crossover pipe... but ONLY in the US market.

An example would be my car, a Mercedes-Benz 380SE, I live in Australia and this car is the Australian/Swedish version. My car has no exhaust crossover--US version of the car do have a crossover.

Australian cars that were sold with 351 Cleveland or 350 SBC, also do not require a crossover pipe. Firing order is the same as it is be for the same engine sold in the US market.

I had yet to find a satisfactory answer on any of the automotive forums I lurk... but lets get back to that in a sec.

Before anyone trolls me with "but does your old car have [insert modern feature]? Yes it does, it is an S-Klasse Mercedes-Benz.

reply to post by consciousgod

A race car driver (can't remember his name) took a diesel engine, ran the fuel vapor through holes bored in the engine block to heat the fuel then turbo charged the vapor injection. He also turbo charged the exhaust to increase efficiency. He reported getting extreme mileage numbers close to 200 mph and he also got very high performance.

Smokey Yanuik? I know he developed an engine that would get +400mpg, he showed it to the boards of both Ford and Chev. I thought it was a petrol engine (SBC?), not a diesel tho, but the principal on how it worked was more like a diesel but using the heat to ignite the fuel and not a spark. Its definitely worth looking into his story because he was quite close to the Detroit cartels. He spent his later years looking for oil. The only reason I know of this Nascar driver is because of his engine. Nascar isnt a thing here.

reply to post by moebius

Preheating air fuel mixture is BS too. Ever wondered why the high performance super/turbocharged engines have got air intercoolers? You actually want the air cold to increase density(more oxygen) and engine efficiency(thermodynamic cycle).

Actually its not, most +1000hp track/drag cars have a fuel pump that also includes a heating element to atomise the fuel. The intercooler you speak of is to cool the air, not the fuel. When you mix warm fuel with cod air it atomises it and it burns better. You can purchase them from Holley or other performance brands.

reply to post by NaKeDuSk

I had always heard the reasoning behind automakers in the US not marketing diesel cars was the perception of the American people that diesel was a "dirty" fuel. Of course, that is an outdated perception, because of advances in diesel engines and fuel economy. But when most of us think "diesel" we still think of exhaust-billowing semi trucks and sputtering Mercedes and Volvos.

Diesel has its own conspiracy, it caused a world war... there is a great thread on here about it, may have to search.

So back to my question: Why do US V8's have an exhaust crossover? I personally believe it is to do with protecting American oil interests, as well as protecting the Detroit cabal's. If Americans actually drove the same European cars that the rest of the world gets, there would be no Ford, GM or Chrysler left--they just cant compete with European car manufacturers.

Detroit killed the Aussie Ford Falcon out of sheer jealousy that Australians could build a better Ford than they could.

Apologies for the bump.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
In 1978 my brother and i worked on a fuel saving device that used vacuum tank instead of a carburetor we had considerable better mileage using a 1979 ford truck with 800lbs.added to it to sway the naysayers from the arguement that it was stripped down for better mileage. I had never heard of Tom ogle. We had a test engine in the garage that ran at 4500rpm for 5 1/2 hours on a liter of gasoline and we used the exhaust to heat the workshop all winter without any ill effects the exhaust didn't even smell we kept witnessed documentation that I still have in my possession along with pictures of the progression of the device. We actually tried to make it catchphrase fire or explode but couldn't do it. We ran a lawnmower engine for 4 days on 2 cups of gasoline try that on a regular carb it'll run for about 40 minutes the system is very rudimentary and there is a very rational explanation as to how it works and I am willing to debate in any forum the merits of the device. Our evidence is well documented and not anecdotal my name is Leslie Clendening and my number is 780 700 7507 call me and learn how wrong you all are.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: rollin76
I was talking to a 75 year old man about the 100 mpg carb.He said he had a old dodge truck years ago that he use to have that was a pig on gas.He said he put a stainless steel screen under his carb to help vaporize the fuel and it almost doubled his fuel economy!He also said something about preheating the fuel before it hit the carb.Going to have to try this out.Great post op thanks.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I wonder if this technology is coming of age. But the disappearances and things probably seem to bug the development of fuel efficient technology. Well, there are still car users who prefer sports cars and all.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: drock905

To think that if this was possible and no one is pursuing it in the hobby world and the fact that it isn't common knowledge and repeatable proves to me that it's a hoax at best and at worst a scam to swindle automotive illiterate people out of their money.

You clearly did not Bother to Read the links provided before making such foolish assumptions.

There ARE (not just "have been") hundreds of people who have successfully implemented these and other highly successful "energy delivery systems" for internal combustion engines which have been "shut down" juts like Pogue was ... it's called "being made an offer you can't refuse" ("la plata or plomo, take your pick")

fuel-efficient-vehicles.org...

Can one gallon of gasoline propel a car 100 miles ?

How much power is there in one gallon of gasoline ?

“Were all the energy of one gallon of gasoline to be harnessed for the performance of a single purpose, experiments show that it could be made to provide sufficient heat to raise the temperature of 15,000 gallons of water one degree.

Put to work, it could furnish enough force to lift 50,000 tons of coal one foot off the ground raise the Woolworth building five and a half inches.

Applied to a small car, the power is great enough to elevated a light car 450 miles in the air or to propel it at twenty miles an hour for 450 miles over a level road”. Popular Mechanics, July 1924, page 14.

I suppose you think they just made this all up for sh$tz 'n giggles?

In 1978 I first interviewed Tom Ogle who created a device replacing the carburetor and allowed his 4,000 pound car to get 100 miles per gallon. He should have gone on to change history and become one of the world’s richest men. He was young, confident and feared nothing.

But he was wrong – dead wrong. Four years later Tom, at age 24, was in his grave and his invention, buried.

And he's joined a Long list of similar "coincidental deaths" of "cheap/free energy devices"

Another big supporter of Ogle’s invention was Professor Gerald Hawkins of Texas A&M University, holder of a doctorate in mechanical engineering with a background in gas dynamics and aerospace study.

“This is no hoax,” said Dr. Hawkins, “Ogle eliminated the carburetor and achieved what the gasoline internal combustion engine was supposed to do all along – to operate off fumes"

It is scary that people like you think you Know what you are talking about ... BUT you do not! e.g. what are your "qualifications" i.e. are you a holder of a doctorate in mechanical engineering with a background in gas dynamics and aerospace study?

I didn't think so and Yet you still insist you are right just becoz " To think that if this was possible and no one is pursuing it in the hobby world and the fact that it isn't common knowledge and repeatable"

BUT It IS "repeatable", just as the Joe Cell is, but the US Govt "shuts down" such inventions by threatening the inventors in a variety of ways. Sheesh, Nikola Tesla was constantly harassed and sabotaged .... why him and not others?

Not to mention that newatlas.com...

We got to the MOON

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: mossme89

Look this is not that complicated Honda had cars back in the 80s that got like 60 mpg my brother had one yes it was small but when you filled the little tank you could drive like 2 weeks the 15 miles back and forth to school

posted on Apr, 3 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyJetson

TeIt is scary that people like you think you Know what you are talking about ... BUT you do not! e.g. what are your "qualifications" i.e. are you a holder of a doctorate in mechanical engineering with a background in gas dynamics and aerospace study?xt

Are you, then?

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyJetson

100 mpg thing does not mean anything if you don't define how much power is required, which varies greatly with speed, vehicle type, weight etc. The world record for the most fuel-efficient vehicle is currently at 14573 mpg.

Also you don't need any of those silly analogies. A gallon gasoline contains 33kWh energy. Diesel is a bit better with 38kWh.

A combustion engine thermal efficiency will be between 25-50%. The 50% are only reached by very efficient large diesel engines. This means your typical car blows most of the fuel energy into the air as hot exhaust gases and hot radiator air.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join