It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Hip Hop: For the Open Minded

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mcdgray129

No I would argue otherwise. Biggie is what put me onto Rap music. I was and still am a massive Biggie fan, but as a hip hop head I call it how I see it. Tupac's albums 2pacalypse now, Strictly 4 My N***** and Thug Life Volume 1, were mediocore albums. The productions was pretty terrible and he was still growing as a lyricists. Infact Pac was never really a lyricist. His delivery was mad, but his rhymes were never intracate.

Me against the World, All Eyez on Me and the Don Killuminati: The 7 Day theory were great albums and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But part of being a hip hop head is being able to critisize every rapper including the legneds and martyrs.

As for Tupac message and legacy, I would say it is contradictory. Yes he had socially conscience songs, but others were that same old materialist ignorace. Not that I disliked it, but personally he is overrated. He is heralded as the greatest rapper ever simply because he died before his time. Real Hip Hop heads formulate their own opinions instead of looking to the already established taboos and norms to guide their listening expirience. Critisizing Tupac is a taboo which it shouldn;t be. I'm more into word play and lyrical ability than delivery.
edit on 28-1-2012 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

The Masta Buildas & The Templars of Hip Hop - Written In Stone (Ft. Lord Gamma)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Awesome thread, though I'm a bit late to the party! I've got a lot of the music in your post and the rest I'll check out. Let me add some and comment on a couple.

1) The Coup is AMAZING and that's one of my favorites along with 'Ride the Fence' & 'The Guillotine'
2) You also have my all time favorite Greydon Square song, 'Onward' is also great and I advise everyone to check him out, he's one of the few guys I've heard who raps about atheism and science.
3) I didn't see X-Clan, another awesome group who I can actually listen to around my child since they almost never cuss or rap obscenely.
4) Haystak is another one. He's got some traditional rap songs, i.e. "club hits" but he keeps it very real, sometimes too real. He's been described as a white Tupac.

*Lightning Round!!*
Black Market Militia, Revolution of the Mind, Vinnie Paz, KRS-One, Diabolic, Dead Prez, DZK, Hell Razah, Hopsin, Ill Bill, R.A. The Rugged Man, Rittz, And last but NEVER least...the timeless Tupac!

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
NSFW sorry...
edit on 13-12-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This song is fusion hip hop music and contains some very true meaningful lyrics. not about sex, drugs, gangstars, but the real world

edit on 1-1-2014 by rkingpin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Think a difference between hip hop and rap needs to be made, they've essentially been thought about as the same thing now. Pop-rap seems to be dominating these days and its terrible.

Check out Akala for anyone who hasn't heard of him, a UK artist

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Here are some good and for the most part unknown artists

The last emperor

Ill biskits

Poor righteous teachers

Devin the dude

Binary star

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Many inspirational songs in here!

Let me bring in some german rap:

I'll start with some classic. (Too bad you have no spoilers here because it takes a while for the site to load.

Doppelkopf:

Slowy:

Morlockk feat V-Mann:

(not only US got it's Ghettos
) WK8 , big love!!!

Retrogott (Huss und Hodn):

Again Retrogott...can't push him enough

Feinkost:

And yet another classic:

EIns Zwo:

edit on 16-7-2014 by Tichy because: (no single # was given)
edit on 16-7-2014 by Tichy because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

I really am liking Rittz, pretty awesome.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeachM1litant

Great list!!
Too many people are calling rap music HIP HOP. Hip Hop is a culture. There is plenty of sh*t hop being pushed but not true/real HIP HOP. I say Sh*t Hop because that is exactly what is birthed when all 5 elements of hip hop are not combined. Or.. The first 4 elements are combined and the 5th element, the most sacred of all elements: knowledge is substituted with garbage.

The Elements:
1. Earth: The Graffiti Artist. This is the earth element because it uses matter in order to manifest. The graffiti art tells our stories just as our ancient ancestors used art to tell their stories on their walls.
2. Air: This element is reserved for the sound that has movement created by the DJ. Music is universal and the break beat in a song allows us to cross over to the realm of hip hop. The mind is able to ride the sound waves into a different dimension of times and space.
3. Water: The Human body is composed of over 70% water. The water element of Hip Hop? B-Boys, B-Boys.. Dancers. The composition of water changes based on the type of air (music) you hear.
4. FIRE: The Fire element emerges within the emcee where all the other elements combined ignited the "spark" necessary for him/her to spit fire. When the emcee begins to spit his fire in the MIC his fire spreads to the minds who are rapidly drawn to the source of the energy.
5. Knowledge: In order for Hip Hop to take on its form.. Knowledge mud be added to the other existing elements and with this.. Hip Hop elevates you to the god realm.

I love your list but I would also have to include Detroit Hip Hop artists 5 Ela (5 Elementz) check them out here:

youtu.be...5 Ela Don't Stop

and there newest album Global Warming 2022 . ‪#‎STARFLEET‬ ‪#‎SHINEON‬ www.the5elementz.com

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AmyEvol

Congrats on your first post

And guys, don't be offended but i'll add one sonnet to your list!

Post I | Some artists from Finland
Post II Check it out NOW
edit on 12America/Chicago1212America/Chicago1233 by menneni because: added posts from another mother

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join