It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real Hip Hop: For the Open Minded

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
There is a misrepresentation of Hip Hop on ATS. Many believe it uncultured and distastefull. However those who do obvioiusly are not searching for the real hip hop. Here is a multitude examples of cultured reality hip hop.

Blue Scholars - Back Home

The Perceptionists - Memorial Day

Akala - Yours and Mine Children

Akala - Bull****

Braintax - Syriana Style

The Coup - Get Up

The Coup - Laugh, Love, F***

Killer Mike - American Dream

PackFM - I F***ing Hate Rappers

Dilated Peoples - Back Again

Cunninglynguists - Murder (Act II)

Immortal Technique - The Martyr

Sabac Red - Fight Untill the End

Kemo the Blaxican - La Receta

Lowkey - Obama Nation

Freddie Gibbs - National Anthem

Da Circle - Napalm

Greydon Square - Brains

Hope you enjoyed it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
thank you sir

you got most the artists i listen too

id put kendrick lamar and vinnie paz in too tho!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

What, no Lupe??:

Great thread friend, thanks - will subscribe to check all these artists out soon as I haven't heard most of them. There's a good bit of hip hop I don't care for, but there is also some FANTASTIC work out there.

Be blessed.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You put all that on there except for the greats, where is 2 Pac or biggie?, where is easy e an dr dre?.
I think anyone thats stuck up about rap in the first place is never going to like it. So you might of well put the great rappers in there as not one person in them videos would stand with biggie or 2pac... Thats just my opinion..

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
ohhh

brother dont forget this dude

and this might be as well the best "conspirturial" video

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mcdgray129

I'm aiming for posting more consience rap rather than Gangsta rap and so forth. Anyway, this may offend some but Tupac was over rated. His first few studio albums had weak production and mediocore rhymes. However, his last 3 studio albums were verry good. Subsequently they all went Platnium. Not that that means anything though.

reply to post by Praetorius

I'll be posting more songs later. There is a few I missed

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
strongly suggest KRS ONE - Aztechnical as well =]

i would embed the video but not sure how

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Hip-hop comprises 80 percent of what I listen to. So much wisdom & expression in the underground realm.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Hmmmm...Ok, I can offer up some socially-conscious songs from Pac (Papa'z Song and Keep Ya Head Up always stick with me since were from the first album I bought), but I never really listened to Biggie and the NWA Crew makes me strain trying to think of anything I enjoyed about them beyond the sound and the fact that I was 15 or so when I started listening to them...I honestly didn't listen to Dre much beyond tha Chronic, and any time I think about easy I get sad about AIDS all the while getting "The World's Biggest ****" stuck in my head. Well, and "Gimme that nut" too.

I know, I'm sheltered...given the spirit of the thread, could you direct me to some of their more enlightening work (Pac excepted, since he's already golden)? Thanks in advance, since I'd like to find some more redeeming qualities in the rest than I'm familiar with.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

edit on 27-1-2012 by TheLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLookingGlass
strongly suggest KRS ONE - Aztechnical as well =]

i would embed the video but not sure how

Here you go, friend...I'm guessing this is the right one:

Side note, and you may not care - do you know if he still likes Ron Paul?

Take care.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Disappointed to not see big L on the list, man was a legend.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant

I'm aiming for posting more consience rap rather than Gangsta rap and so forth. Anyway, this may offend some but Tupac was over rated. His first few studio albums had weak production and mediocore rhymes. However, his last 3 studio albums were verry good. Subsequently they all went Platnium. Not that that means anything though.

I'll be posting more songs later. There is a few I missed

To me that really goes to show what you know about rap
. How you can say that about one of the greatest rappers of all time is... well i have no words for it. and 2pac and biggie wasnt all about gangster, they talked about life. you most be only a kid or something getting into rap, or else you would of known that
edit on 27-1-2012 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

yes thats the one thank you

and yeah i think he still supports him heard about him headlining a ron paul revolution tour haha

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Few more gems...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Calm down, that's just his personal opinion. Although it's true he rapped about life. Not everybody thinks Tupac was the greatest of all time, nor is he their favorite rapper/artist. I personally have so much respect for the man, and for a while listened to his music nonstop. However now I've moved on and mostly look for new artist & underground gems.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

Hmmmm...Ok, I can offer up some socially-conscious songs from Pac (Papa'z Song and Keep Ya Head Up always stick with me since were from the first album I bought), but I never really listened to Biggie and the NWA Crew makes me strain trying to think of anything I enjoyed about them beyond the sound and the fact that I was 15 or so when I started listening to them...I honestly didn't listen to Dre much beyond tha Chronic, and any time I think about easy I get sad about AIDS all the while getting "The World's Biggest ****" stuck in my head. Well, and "Gimme that nut" too.

I know, I'm sheltered...given the spirit of the thread, could you direct me to some of their more enlightening work (Pac excepted, since he's already golden)? Thanks in advance, since I'd like to find some more redeeming qualities in the rest than I'm familiar with.

What to you mean more enlightening works... The Thread is called "Real Hip Hop". i guess you're only a 2pac fan (Me too i am too) who cant except biggie was great too.
all them rap artist was great if you want songs let me show you some

This enlightens me

As for easy e well he rap was more gangster so i wont post it since you said enlightening. But his music was still great..

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu

Calm down, that's just his personal opinion. Although it's true he rapped about life. Not everybody thinks Tupac was the greatest of all time, nor is he their favorite rapper/artist. I personally have so much respect for the man, and for a while listened to his music nonstop. However now I've moved on and mostly look for new artist & underground gems.

I know its his opinion, i should of said that but imo. Anyone that likes hip hop and can't see what 2pac did for it is well a kid imo, that must of only started listing to hip hop within the last few years imo. And even then they should know what the old greats did for the game, as rap would not be what it is today if it wasnt for them.
So they should show respect... Plus this topic isn't about new or underground artist, if it was the OP should of said so, its about "Real Hip Hop" , yet the greats are excluded.
Maybe the OP should rename hes title.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcdgray129

So they should show respect... Plus this topic isn't about new or underground artist, if it was the OP should of said so, its about "Real Hip Hop" , yet the greats are excluded.

A lot of the videos the OP embedded are [semi]underground artist. And yes, the title says "Real Hip Hop". What is not real about underground or unexposed hiphop artist?? I would love for you to elaborate because I almost take it personally if you really are saying what I think you're saying.

I can show respect to the golden age greats & what they did for the culture, but right now I'm living in the midst of too many talented artist to name. And I give them infinite respect for their contribution of enlightening lyrics, dope beats, & much more. There's no need to bring up Tupac in every hiphop thread, or really only post the most widely known classic rappers. Hiphop is an expansive genre that encompasses so many issues; sadly the mainstream has lost its way; yet the underground stands as a bastion of independently driven artist in this new age.

If you get stuck in the mentality that the golden age was the only worthy time for hiphop, and that anything new pales in comparison; you're GREATLY mistaken. And in that case it would be you who is misguided about this movement.
edit on 27-1-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu

A lot of the videos the OP embedded are [semi]underground artist. And yes, the title says "Real Hip Hop". What is not real about underground or unexposed hiphop artist?? I would love for you to elaborate because I almost take it personally if you really are saying what I think you're saying.
I can show respect to the golden age greats & what they did for the culture, but right now I'm living in the midst of too many talented artist to name. And I give them infinite respect for their contribution of enlightening lyrics, dope beats, & much more. There's no need to bring up Tupac in every hiphop thread, or really only post the most widely known classic rappers. Hiphop is an expansive genre that encompasses so many issues; sadly the mainstream has lost its way; yet the underground stands as a bastion of independently driven artist in this new age.

I never said they wasn't real hip hop artist or that they suck.. i know everything is opinions, and that 2pac biggie etc doesnt have to be be in every Hiphop thread. But imo if you're trying to get someone to like hip hop, Why show them a bunch of unknowings to semi unknowings and not show them some of the old greats too??.

If you get stuck in the mentality that the golden age was the only worthy time for hiphop, and that anything new pales in comparison; you're GREATLY mistaken. And in that case it would be you who is misguided about this movement.

No i am not in that state of mind at all, i don't think the golden age of hip hop is the only one worthy of time. What i do think is to leave out and exclude some of them rappers from that time, when the OP is clearly trying to get people on ATS to see Hip Hop is not all about what the mainstream rappers are doing to it today is showing disrespect imo. and is saying that them old school rappers don't deserve time..
Like i said if this thread had to of been named differently, such as "Underground Real Hip hop for the open mind" then it would be understandable. But how is them golden age rappers not Real Hip Hop when they are the ones that made it what it is. and i bet alot of them peeps in the OP's video wouldn't even be rapping or into hip hop them selfs if it wasnt for some of them golden age rappers.

I should of worded myself better last night but i was drunk..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join