It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mustard Remedy For Minor Burns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
When I was working as a barista I mistakenly burned the heck outta my hand with the steam wand. A cook that worked in the kitchen told me to use yellow mustard on my hand and allow it to dry. So I quickly opened some mustard packets and applied them to my hand. Much to my surprise, it was almost immediate relief. I have burned myself numerous times since I learned about this remedy and each time it has been tremendous in it healing capabilities. Cold mustard from the fridge is even better. So, those of you who have a BOB or first-aid kit, I recommend adding this to your supplies.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I love stuff like this!

If you ever bite your tongue or mouth, Put sugar on it! (it always works, my step momma taught me that one)
edit on 24-1-2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Great advice OP. I and my family have used mustard for the relief of minor burns for years, and I can definitely say it works better than anything prescribed by doctors. It's very refreshing to see posts like this on ATS.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by idisi

Just make sure never to use powdered mustard that you mix yourself because that will burn you.
Thats what I use for cough and flem build up.
I mix mustard paste and put it on a cheeseclothe and put it on my chest for a about 10 mins.
However...if you keep it on the skin too long it will leave a sunburn type effect wherever you had it on.

I made the mistake of leaving it on for too long my first time and had a square burn (sunburn like) on my chest for a week.

Its cool how mustard can help a burn and also cause one.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I've heard a few oldtimers say to pour vinegar on a burn. Don't know if there's any truth in it helping though.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
That's weird. I would have thought that the vinegar in the mustard would sting that raw skin.

I'm a cook and burn myself a lot. Just last week I managed to steam the softest part of the inside of my wrist while I was cleaning our flat top at the end of the night.
All I've done for it was keep it wrapped and moisturized ( I used Udder Cream but in a pinch I'd use almost any food grade oil), while at work. Then I let it dry out a little at home before bed and wrap it up again before sleeping.

Keeping it moist helps to avoid the raw and new skin from getting stiff and cracking...and helps when you need to debride the skin that needs to come off.

I might try the mustard thing...but the idea of putting vinegar on anything but an acid burn is scary!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Honey is amazing for this too.

Look up medicinal benefits of honey on Google.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Excellent advice! I have an aloe vera cactus in the kitchen that I use for burns. As soon as I realize I'm burned, I run over and break off one of the tips and put the goo on the burn. Instant relief and no redness or burned skin.

However, if I'm out at a BBQ or picnic and I manage to burn myself, I can now use mustard. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by idisi

It is the Distilled Vinegar, that is in the Mustard Sauce.
That is the active part here.

In Sweden, you can buy mixture called Salubrin.
That you use for insect bites and other skin-irritations.
Wich is based on Distilled Vinegar.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
There is only one first thing to do and that is to keep it under cold water. keep it there until the area is chilled.

You must stop the flesh from cooking before using folk remedys like the yellow mustard.

I know yellow mustard will downgrade burns from 2nd to first and first to almost an overnight recovery.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DROKKR

I was told that honey worked well for burns but then my grandmother said that it could also trap in unwanted bacteria. I'm not sure if that is true or not.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
i always keep apple cider vinegar in the kitchen and if i burn myself i pour it on the burn and it immediatly helps and never blisters. i would assume you shouldnt pour it on an open burn

new topics

top topics

join