It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Solar Storm Hurtles Towards Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

news.sky.com

A massive solar storm is hurtling towards the Earth after the biggest eruption on the sun in six years.

The radiation storm is expected to create spectacular displays of the Northern Lights - but there are fears it could also disrupt communications, damage satellites and cause power grid outages at northern latitudes.

Sightings of aurora borealis (the Northern lights) have already been reported across the north of Britain, as far south as Northumberland, after an earlier solar flare on Sunday.

That first, moderate flare triggered the release of billions of tons of charged particles fr
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
It seems it may be possible to see this as far away as north England. All over sky news today. There is a video embeded. This is due to hit us for the next few days. So sky gazers, people that might not have seen this before, get yourself out tonight if your as far north as the north of England. or anywhere on the planet along that longitude. (or is it latitude) I dont even know if I have spelt it correct. Me bad.

Anyway, I will be out tonight with the camera, as I am told I will be able to see it here in Edinburgh, Scotland.

news.sky.com

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by shauny

news.sky.com

A massive solar storm is hurtling towards the Earth after the biggest eruption on the sun in six years.

The radiation storm is expected to create spectacular displays of the Northern Lights - but there are fears it could also disrupt communications, damage satellites and cause power grid outages at northern latitudes.

Sightings of aurora borealis (the Northern lights) have already been reported across the north of Britain, as far south as Northumberland, after an earlier solar flare on Sunday.

That first, moderate flare triggered the release of billions of tons of charged particles fr

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

More info is at Spaceweather.com.

It looks like a glancing blow to me.

It's arriving January 24,2012 at 14:18 UT.

It showed up at SDO at 11PM January 22 EST.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Latitude measures north to south.....so the lines run east and west. Longtitude measures East to West and there for run from Pole to Pole. Sometimes you here the term "parallels of latitude" because the lines are parallel and never touch. That's how I remember it.

So Latitude....
:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Nope. its nothing.

You need to keep watching. When they get larger than X3 then post.

Dont waste time on C or M class flares. Too many people know not to buy into the panic and doom.

When you get an X12 or larger you could get away with hyping it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I Live in southern Wisconsin do you think I should be worried? Should i prepare?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
All hype and no soap on this one!!! I think it missed..have a look at solar wind speed and density.
Solar wind
speed: 286.8 km/sec
density: 3.6 protons/cm3
explanation | more data
Updated: Today at 1525 UT

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerman24
I Live in southern Wisconsin do you think I should be worried? Should i prepare?

Look at all the pics of the northern lights during storms. Who set up the cams for those.You will be just fine.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I'm in the Midwest United States. Any possibility of seeing the Borealis tonight? I've never seen it before, that I know of...and I would dearly love the chance to.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
Nope. its nothing.

you mean larger than X20
some speculate largest was X39 yet here we all are. We all need a job so hanging out waiting for doom becomes obsolete

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It appears to be starting as we speak, I'm very jealous of all my friends who live much farther north! It should be quite a show:

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

edit on 24-1-2012 by JoeGuitar because: Added Graph

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I live in Singapore and often staying up late night.

Still normal here.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
All hype and no soap on this one!!! I think it missed..have a look at solar wind speed and density.
Solar wind
speed: 286.8 km/sec
density: 3.6 protons/cm3
explanation | more data
Updated: Today at 1525 UT

It looks like you're right.

The high voltage transformers haven't exploded yet.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
CNN just did a bit about it. Nothing dramatic, it seems. Wish I couold see an aurora.. not gonna happen here in Texas, though.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
CNN just did a bit about it. Nothing dramatic, it seems. Wish I couold see an aurora.. not gonna happen here in Texas, though.

During a hop to the Gulf I got to see them. Just like you see in pics but they are alive. They move. and the colors of the rainbow. Like its raining rainbows, is the best way to describe them. Like seeing real magic.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

During a hop to the Gulf I got to see them. Just like you see in pics but they are alive. They move. and the colors of the rainbow. Like its raining rainbows, is the best way to describe them. Like seeing real magic.

The best view would be from the ISS.

I hope the solar panels aren't damaged up!

Maybe they could just power down and hope for the best.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Nope. its nothing.

you mean larger than X20
some speculate largest was X39 yet here we all are. We all need a job so hanging out waiting for doom becomes obsolete

Yes for total chicken with head cut off doom lol.

X3 is about where you would see older sats develop problems. The ones that couldnt take the firmware update to put them in sleep mode.

--------------------------------

One thing to consider. If you have an adjustable sprayer on a garden hose......You can turn it down to the point it will cut lines through your lawn, or you can turn it the other way to a fine sprinkle.

CMEs are no different. We never know their pattern till they get to our measure equip.......

Theres a doom trailer.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Nope. its nothing.

you mean larger than X20

Yes for total chicken with head cut off doom lol.

X3 is about where you would see older sats develop problems. The ones that couldnt take the firmware update to put them in sleep mode.

--------------------------------

One thing to consider. If you have an adjustable sprayer on a garden hose......You can turn it down to the point it will cut lines through your lawn, or you can turn it the other way to a fine sprinkle.

CMEs are no different. We never know their pattern till they get to our measure equip.......

Theres a doom trailer.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

I think i figured out the specifics on this CME that hit us this morning.

Eruption: 11 PM Jan 22,2012 EST

Speed: 2,200 km/sec

Direction: Directly at Earth & Mars

Time to Impact: 9:18 AM Jan 24,2012 EST
--------
The Carrington Event CME got here in only 18 hours!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This wasnt doom and gloom.
I am in Edinburgh, and can see it, 1st time I have "ever" seen it.
I am just exited that is all. Anyone more south might see this. All I was posting for.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join