It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun hurls strong geomagnetic storm toward Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Sun hurls strong geomagnetic storm toward Earth

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - The strongest geomagnetic storm in more than six years was forecast to hit Earth's magnetic field on Tuesday, and it could affect airline routes, power grids and satellites, the U.S. Space Weather Prediction Center said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
So it begins? It looks very bad here: sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

looking for more info, from people who know more about this kind of events. They are saying storm's intensity will be up-to 3 in 5 level scale. Did it happen before?

It should be all over news very soon.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It seems that this happens rather quite frequently considering the amount of threads I have seen on this subject.

Going to start printing out mapquest directions instead of relying on GPS now as this could knock out some satellites.

Thanks for the heads up I guess

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by martinkb

At most it will mess with satellites and make some pretty lights in the sky, I don't think there is much to worry about.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Here we go again !!!

Nothing will happen.

Only 2-3 days ago ATS posted another solar flare heading our way. What happened ? Nothing.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
It's the main story on foxnews.com

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
It won't be too bad. The one in 2006 lit the sky up in an eerie green glow where I was. It seemed like there was a dampening field on all radio communications. Which was odd because during the day I was listening to a low power radio station in Watertown, NY,(about 120 miles to the southwest). I remember one in 2000 that affected ATM's, the internet, satellites, it was in the summertime and it was hot that day.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This isn't the first time we've gotten "solar winds" and all the wonderful things that come along them. I'm not counting on some Carrington Event. That isn't to say maybe some people could experience small technical difficulties, such as failed calls or text messages from cell phones.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vortiki
This isn't the first time we've gotten "solar winds" and all the wonderful things that come along them. I'm not counting on some Carrington Event. That isn't to say maybe some people could experience small technical difficulties, such as failed calls or text messages from cell phones.

I'm thinking the same thing. I just hope the rest of the maximum doesn't provide worse.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Epirus
It's the main story on foxnews.com

yea it says on fox.....solar storm could force rerouting of flights. OOOO NO! rerouting flights!
edit on 23-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
according to news story it should have hit 2 days ago

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
and just when we get so comfortable we begin to ignore information about what's coming this way.....
satellites go bananas an no American Idol!!

edit on 23-1-2012 by grumpydaysleeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31
according to news story it should have hit 2 days ago

“A preliminary inspection of SOHO/STEREO imagery suggests that the CME will deliver a strong glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on Jan. 24-25 as it sails mostly north of our planet," SpaceWeather’s bulletin read.

www.foxnews.com...

It's will be tomorrow and Wednesday, 24-25

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by grumpydaysleeper
and just when we get so comfortable and begin to ignore information about what's comning this way.....
satellites go bananas an no American Idol!!

Lucky you!

The effects over in the UK were some ghostly green aurorae over Dundee.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

2012-01-23 15:01 Geomagnetic Storm Expected Tuesday, Jan 23

As the strongest Solar Radiation Storm (S3) since May, 2005 continues, the associated Earthward-directed Coronal Mass Ejection is expected to arrive about 1400 UT (9am EST) Jan 24. SWPC has issued a Geomagnetic Storm Watch with G2 level storming likely and G3 level storming possible, with the storm continuing into Wednesday, Jan 25. All of this activity is related to a moderate (R2) Radio Blackout x-ray flare that erupted Sunday night (11pm EST). Updates will be posted here as we learn more or follow us on Facebook.

hrmm.... strongest storm since 2005?
Strength from a G2 to a G3.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

G3:
Power systems: voltage corrections may be required, false alarms triggered on some protection devices.

Spacecraft operations: surface charging may occur on satellite components, drag may increase on low-Earth-orbit satellites, and corrections may be needed for orientation problems.

Other systems: intermittent satellite navigation and low-frequency radio navigation problems may occur, HF radio may be intermittent, and aurora has been seen as low as Illinois and Oregon (typically 50° geomagnetic lat.)**.

G2:
Power systems: high-latitude power systems may experience voltage alarms, long-duration storms may cause transformer damage.

Spacecraft operations: corrective actions to orientation may be required by ground control; possible changes in drag affect orbit predictions.

Other systems: HF radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes, and aurora has been seen as low as New York and Idaho (typically 55° geomagnetic lat.)**.

Looking at space weather now
www.swpc.noaa.gov...
Good chance for Aurora viewing in the northern states.

I need to tell my cousin in washington state he may see aurora's!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Not too big of a deal.. at least this one, might, do "something"...

I wish it would hurry up and take the power grid down, im tired of anticipating it...
if its going to ocur, i want to get it over with....

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

ok sorry the news segment i read said the 21st,i,ll be looking out.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
also have u noticed that everything that seems to occur has to occur over america?why is that.....why all of a sudden americas the centre of the world and things only happen there when only a few hundred years a go a small nation of britain basicly ruled the lot.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by martinkb

Solar storms have always been there. Science is just recognising that they can effect weather and life on the planet. Many people have known about this connection and passed it on in sayings for generations. Science did not listen to these individuals and discounted their sayings. Just because people don't understand the reason that things occur doesn't mean that the correlation is not correct.
There are going to be bigger solar flares than this coming in the next few years. The comparison to 2005 is not a good comparison. That was not a solar maximum flare, a comparison to other solar maximum flares should be made and a comparison to the consequences of the flares made. Even though I believe this is going to be a troublesome solar maximum with respect to technology and the effects on the mind, I do not feel it will cause much destruction to the planet. Technology does tie into our power grid though and runs nuclear plants. I'm sure they have safeguards in place at the nuclear facilities for this purpose, these people are supposed to be intelligent and intelligent people make sure they have all bases covered.
The frequency of reverberation of the atmosphere can effect people's temperment and their perception of things. The people can riot or start conflict which can destroy civilization because of the effect of the frequency, but science already knows that. These wars are indirect consequences and people in charge of nations should be aware of history. When the power goes out in big cities, people go a little nuts sometimes from the abscence of the powers frequency and do things that they would not normally do. Our governments realize this and they make allowances for it in our legal system. It is good to have a good underlying moral system during the time to come.
This knowledge of frequencies effect on people is very old. The drums beat can make us dance or make us into war machines. The Horn was used also in ancient times. Water torture is well known. Some people have to tap their toes to a beat. The sound in the horror show creates you're fear. Hollywood has studied these things for years and so has the music industry. It is all in history.
edit on 23-1-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join