It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another look at the 2012 Prophecy; Possible interpretations and misinterpretations.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Hey guys! I haven't been on in a while, so ive been kinda reserving my thoughts for the ATS community. If this is in the wrong place, by all means move, and If I ramble, I apologize in advance.

First off, I just wanted to have us all get in the mindset of the Mayans. They had a vast knowledge of cycles, and the planets, without the technology that we have now. They had a connection, that we didnt have, with the great unknown. But in their culture, their day was a cycle, nights were cycles, years were cycles. They thought of everything in cycles. Now taking a look at cycles of the earth, We already know nothing ever ends, its just transformed. I may have just eaten that pizza, and the pizza is no more, but its now a glob of substance hurdling torwards my bowels. XD Its not a pizza, it was changed into from a pizza into a glob. To them: an end, was just the way things went before things began again. The sense that things just "Happen", is nothing new

Now, When they said that our world was going to end. What do you REALLY think they meant? Did they mean it would stop? Or that it would merely end? Which, today's connotations make the two almost identical.

BUT. On the otherside of the argument. I've been digging deeper into myself and my mind. Asking all sorts of questions to the people I work with. I asked my friend what he though about it. And it went like the 2012 conversation goes, "its not gonna happen, but it would be awesome"
But the more I talked to him, asking him what he knew about Myans and what he thought he knew about the 2012 prophecy. The more he realized he knew nothing about it. And by the end of the shift at work, he left me by saying "Well, if 2012 doesnt come, then I'll change my ways".

The last thing he said made me wonder about the human condition, that the only reason we Act on things, is whether there is or isnt a reason to act. Some people will act, or be the reason for the action, if you will, and take matters into their own hands. Those people, I think of as people who feel with their mind, and think with their hearts. Instead labeling themselves as a Thinker, or a Feeler. But most of us wont do things that wont benifit us. But after he had said that, it made me think about the self fulfilling prophecy. I just kind of thought about it, but didnt think that 2012 was that for sure.

A couple days later, I went to a party with that same friend, and instead of getting drunk, i sat there and discussed 2012, and the universes inner workings, all the way down to the tiny atoms making erosion and weathering a thing in all of our lives( I got deep down into how cleaning with a dishtowel on a grimed up counter is a small scale replica of the bigger picture), with a couple college kids from my town. But I had to bring up what my friend had said about if it didnt come, that they would change their ways. And two of the three said that they had thought about that before, and the other one was so drunk he thought he was making sense. But, here's the kicker; people sometimes have that gut feeling, that -feeling-(

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
First of all.. I wish people would quit saying the Mayans said the world was going to end, as this is simply NOT TRUE.

The Mayan calendar has had several "ends"... each into a new STAGE, not an ending. If you would look further than the fear mongering end of the world links, then you would realize this.

The Mayans are predicting an "age of enlightenment" and a cleansing of the earth. If you were to do even a simple google search, you would find this.

I do have other theories about how some things will come to pass, but that is for another time. Please just google "Mayan Prophesies" and read through several before you come to the conclusion that the world is going to end. It is just going to end as we know it.

By the way, giving you a S&F just because you put out there a question that really does need to be addressed

edit on 21-1-2012 by freespirit1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythfury

Before we get into this discussion further let me ask you a few questions. How much do you know about that Mayans? For example, can you quote me any prophecy from the Maya associated with 2012? Or how about, can you provide me with an example of the Long Count that ends on December 21, 2012?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I really do have to say a HUGE Thank YOU!!! Most people just take things with a grain of salt and believe what is handed to them..... asking this is making them have to think for themselves and do some of their own research.

I could have posted link upon link to back my "opinions" but chose to give my opinion and make them do their own work rather than take my word for it.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

Bro. I personally agree, I have no doubt that 2013 will come around, but things wont be the same. I guess i didn't elaborate as far as I should have. I was explaining their mindset; after every end, is a beginning. They had a knowledge of the universe, and its cycles, that we dont understand today, and the end of their calendar was the end of the cycle. Nuff said.

Also, as an example of something. You know when you are sure of something, correct? Like you just were in your previous post. You just know that it's correct, becuase you know it is.
See, they were sure they were correct, they knew something was going to happen. The end of this world. And the Beginning, of the next.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by freespirit1
First of all.. I wish people would quit saying the Mayans said the world was going to end, as this is simply NOT TRUE.

The Mayan calendar has had several "ends"... each into a new STAGE, not an ending. If you would look further than the fear mongering end of the world links, then you would realize this.

The Mayans are predicting an "age of enlightenment" and a cleansing of the earth. If you were to do even a simple google search, you would find this.

I do have other theories about how some things will come to pass, but that is for another time. Please just google "Mayan Prophesies" and read through several before you come to the conclusion that the world is going to end. It is just going to end as we know it.

By the way, giving you a S&F just because you put out there a question that really does need to be addressed

edit on 21-1-2012 by freespirit1 because: (no reason given)

I wish people would stop saying Mayan prophecies and Mayan calender as it was NOT their invention, they simply inherited from the Olmecs some thousand years before, it is also highly likely that the Olmecs too inherited the calender and the advanced astonomical/mathematical knowledge that was necessary to create or understand it. Also there is no evidence to suggest they said anything about what will happen on the 23/12/12 which actually is the correct date, what we DO know is that this marks the end of their 5th and final "sun" each of the others ending in disaster, i have heard modern so called Mayan elders state that this is a time of change and enlightenment, ambiguous as that is I am unsure of how much he may really know of his ancestors as i know very little about say anything further than 3-4 generations back in my family, i certainly do not know what they believed or why.
What the OP says though is true, everything for them was about cycles, and we are certainly at the end of at least one cycle as we move into the age of aquarius.
As for what i think will happen that too is for another time, but for now i will say that anybody who can easily dismiss this and say nothing will happen obviously know very little about the subject, the mesoamerican civilisations regarded this date with great importance and as the OP said, if you can get into the minds of these peoples and understand how and why they reached this date you would be more likely to respect it, let alone how or why they ever obtained the necessary knowledge in the first place.
I myself have said that 2013 should we get there will almost be like being reborn, my life will start again and i can start looking forward to the future, it is an interesting point the OP makes in this respect.
Stay open minded people.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Bex33 because: Just noticed something

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

As I have stated many times on here, the only source for such claims is the Popol Vuh. Of course even the claims found in this text have been greatly exaggerated by New Age authors. The Popol Vuh states that there have been four incarnations of the world that each last to the 14th baktun. At this point a great catastrophe occurs and the world essentially starts over. There are no claims regarding enlightenment, ascension, etc. However, this is all moot as it is not does not represent traditional Maya beliefs. The Popol Vuh comes from the post-Columbian era and has been found to have had significant Christian influence. If one looks at the Classic period monuments there are no indications of such beliefs. In fact in the entire Classic period there is only one reference to 13.0.0.0.0 and even that is disputed.

We can also look at this from another viewpoint. The claim is that these events occur every 14th baktun. This is the equivalent of about 5,100 years. So, if the Popol Vuh represented the truth we could exect mass extinctions every 5,100 years. However, this is not the case. Not to mention that counting every incarnation of the world would account for only one fifth of the time humans have existed. So, even if the Popol Vuh represented traditional Mayan beliefs its claims are disproven by scientific fact.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Hi there! I am glad people are discussing this. I think it's important to look at the world and think about whether it can change for the better - for any reason at all - even if it's just what is perceived as a failed prophecy of the "end of the world".

The Maya are not saying it's the end of the world, just the end of the world as we know it. It's the beginning of a new cycle in human evolution.

But putting the Maya aside, a LOT of people are saying the same thing. So the poster above me who always tries to debunk anything "maya"-related - it's not just them. So with that in mind, it's a good idea to look within now instead of waiting until after 2012 is over, and see how you can change yourself to be of better service to others, so that we can better facilitate together a better world that is to come.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I cant post any links. This is more of my way of learning something. Sorry.

From what I learned in history, The Mayans were "primitive", but the smartest of the "primitive". An amazing understanding of things we don't understand; the heavens er, "space", followed by a simple lifestyle of living following cycles. But from that understanding that they thought of cycles, I placed their perception of life the best I can, in mine. If you thought that nothing ever ended, ever. But when your word was translated to another language it changed the meaning, or context of the prophecy. An end in our language, and by our understanding, is a stop.

You seem like you know quite a bit about this subject, so your opinion has great weight.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by angellicview

Im not really giving them anything to debunk, this post is a collection of thoughts where people can see them. But if someone can show me where im wrong Ill gladly listen.

I agree, we need to find ourselves, in order to -be- the change.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Ok... I see your point. I have so much to say on this subject, but enlightenment seemed to fit it the best. I am just going to throw this out there, because it really really hit a point with me.

I watch the history channel on a daily basis, and usually some of it hits me as complete bunk. However, I watched an "Ancient Aliens" show and it really hit me hard, as I have been studying theology, aliens, and history, all at the same time. My views on this are unimportant at the moment, will save points and resources for later. Anyways, they covered the Mayans, Egyptians, and Christians to name a few..... and ALL of them had a past regarding astrology and "Beings" from the sky.

Now, In my opinion, it is really, unreasonably ignorant to think that we are the only beings in this universe, and they Mayans had insight of what was to come. I do not believe nor endorse the wrong interpretation that the world is going to end.... HOWEVER DO believe that the world as we know is going to have severe, radical changes.

I will add more tomorrow, I have been awake for way too long, and forgive me if I have insulted anyone.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I just re-read a part of your first reply.
They predicted an Age of Enlightenment? I remember learning about that in High school. So apparently, they have some credit, because it already happened. XD I dunno, just a joke. Maybe youre right, this could be the real enlightenment, or did it already?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by angellicview

As I have stated on more than one occasion I would love to see any culture that corroborates the claims of the Maya. So far no one has provided me with a single reputable source for such claims. However, I do agree with you that we should be actively striving to make our world a better place. That's one of the reasons I try to dispel this 2012 nonsense. Too many people treat it as a cosmic reset button or a giant "Get Out of Jail Free" card. That's one of the reasons why I find all of these 2012 claims so dangerous. It either makes people afraid or it makes them think that everything will get better without having to put in any effort. The truth is there's nothing to be scared of, but at the same time it is up to us to make the world a better place. We can't sit around waiting for an event that's not going to happen.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Tomorrow, I will give you several links to the studies that I have done.

Right now, I am physically and emotionally tired.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I can truly see your point. I am not educated enough on the Maya to make specific claims about what their beliefs are. However, I have been studying this subject for quite some time, so I do know what a lot of other peoples' beliefs are. I know that we should not ever sit around on our duffs and wait for the world to change. We need to BE the change we expect to see in the world. I also am of the belief that we have some "helpers". Some are here on Earth and some are in other dimensions. I believe that they are here to help facilitate this change.

Peace

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Ive gotta say, I like what you have to say about this. Your link "The Maya and 2012", is pretty good so far. Looks like I got the right person here.

But what you said about fear, The way I see it, you are essentially your fear. Youre afraid of death? Well, its gonna happen. Dont wanna get in a wreck while driving? Thats more than likely gonna happen. The things you make a fear, will be a fear. But if you choose to look past the fear of the physical limitations, its like reading a new book. Its amazing, and makes you learn more because you arent held back. Does anyone know what the Dark Ages were??

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

These two links are pretty cool how things could tie-in together.

The universe is infinite, soon, we will (I hope) be more infinitely aware of all things.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

hasn't already happened, but the long count is nearly over.
2nd

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy

These two links are pretty cool how things could tie-in together.

The universe is infinite, soon, we will (I hope) be more infinitely aware of all things.

Your second link was blocked by my antivirus saying that the page is known to transmit malicious software. I thought everybody should be forewarned, so you might want to edit your post to give them a heads-up. What exactly does the second link talk about?

ETA, this is the warning I received: Trend Micro has confirmed that this website can transmit malicious software or has been involved in online scams or fraud.
edit on 21-1-2012 by killuminati2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I'm not sure if anything will happen, but I think it is possible. Of course it's possible we all die tomorow... so I don't know. I've read books on the topic and find it very interesting. Another theory I liked was that it will be a change in conciousness, that we will rise to a higher consiouness... that would be nice bc this world needs somthing.... human beings need to start really evolving or we will ultimately destroy ourselves anyway. I hope that the world won't end though bc I still have alot to do in my life.
ps. Dec 21 is my birthday.... if the world does end then, it will end the day i turn 26.

<<   2 >>

join