It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any RC airplane fliers out here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I am looking into getting into it, looks like a lot of fun. Just doing some time on a simulator first before I buy one so I don't crash and burn on my 1st try. What say you?

U

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by USarmyFL

Do us a favor and don't strapped your RC with lots of lights and don't fly at night. The Aliens & UFOs forum doesn't need anymore UFO sightings from RC toys

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Yeah, I'm a pretty serious R/Cer. I've been flying electrics for over 20 years now. I have somewhere around 30 planes (I don't count anymore) and dozens of unbuilt kits. I fly everything- sailplanes, old timers, sport planes, ducted fans, micros, ornithopters and helicopters too. I've designed several balsa kits a few of which are still available. Right now I've been toying with a new ducted fan, it's fairly small at a 28" wingspan but does 130 mph (verified by radar gun and doppler passes).

There are many, many facets to the hobby and you can just scratch the surface if that's all you want to do or let it consume your whole life, LOL! Back when I started it took a lot of research to put a plane together, but the RTF (ready to fly) market these days offers fantastic planes that fly awesome right out of the box. So it's a GREAT time to get into the hobby

Let me know if you have any questions about getting started

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Do us a favor and don't strapped your RC with lots of lights and don't fly at night. The Aliens & UFOs forum doesn't need anymore UFO sightings from RC toys

Haha! Well they are a lot more common than most people realize, and yes, I have no doubt they are responsible for many UFO sightings even though that's not most pilots' intent. I have several lighted planes and they are quite aerobatic, and when put through the paces at night they look really bizarre. More than once I've overheard people talking excitedly about the "strange lights in the sky" while I was flying in my backyard, and once someone got excited enough to bring a Q-beam out and try to shine it on the strange object. I brought it down before they decided to start shooting at it

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Decide if you want to build and fly or just fly. There are many kits that are excellent beginner planes and many ARF's that are really good also. If ARF is your thing, and it should be for your 1st plane, look at Mountain Models and their foam trainer called Magpie I taught my grandson to fly on it in a few hours and it survived several minor crashes.
build one from a kit for your second plane (you dont want to build it and crash it right away)

join