It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

interspecies reproduction ???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
this is the most relevant place i could find for this but mods move if needed
ok so i was thinking about chromosomes and how you 2 species cant mate if they have different chromosome amounts and then i thought if 2 species have the same amount of chromosomes ( and there are some ) can they conceive a baby

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I would have a difficult time believing that. It takes millenia for DNA to adjust enough to accept significant changes...the resultant infant would be a grossly mutated medical disparity. Because of the undoubtedly grotesque mix-and-match medley of its anatomy, it would just...die. I'm only guessing here, but I have read similar articles, and that is usually the result.

I've had some interest in this area before.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
There's bit of a debate going on at the moment regarding the origins of rhesus negative blood types who make up about 15% of the planets population (although the negatives tend to be clustered round Europe). A rhesus negative woman's body will reject a rhesus positive baby growing in her womb. Her own antibodies will react and the pregnancy (without medical assistance) will end in miscarriage.

A rhesus negative individual does not have the 'monkey gene' and there have been all kinds of theories about the origin of this blood group. My fave of the moment is that rhesus negative is the blood type of the Neanderthals and that rather than being wiped out we merely interbred with them and created......people like me.
The result of two different species creating off spring.

Now of course they do have evidence of this.Neanderthal Genes Survive in Us.

edit on 14-1-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by tetriswoooo
this is the most relevant place i could find for this but mods move if needed
ok so i was thinking about chromosomes and how you 2 species cant mate if they have different chromosome amounts and then i thought if 2 species have the same amount of chromosomes ( and there are some ) can they conceive a baby

There's more to it than just having the same number of chromosomes
www.infoplease.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
To clarify this topic a little take a look at the Mule.

Mules are Crosses between obviously a Horse and Donkey.
Wild horses and hybrids have 33.
Domestic Horses have 32 Chromosomes.
Donkeys have 31.

A cross between a Mare and a jack(donkey) produces a Mule which have 31 Pairs plus one extra.
A cross between a Stallion and a Jenny(donkey) produces a Hinny which also has 31 pairs and one extra.

The Mule and Hinny are both left infertile due to the extra unpaired Chromosome.

Answering you question a bout Inter species reproduction, yes it does happen both naturally and domestically, but only between those in the same family of species.

As for having similar chromosome counts and producing offspring from different species wont work.

Goats have 60
Domestic cattle have 60

But your not gonna get anything from the cross.

Hope this has helped.

Also a wacky movie if your interested in Sci Fi genetic weirdness is "the Island of Dr. Moreau".

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
There's bit of a debate going on at the moment regarding the origins of rhesus negative blood types who make up about 15% of the planets population (although the negatives tend to be clustered round Europe). A rhesus negative woman's body will reject a rhesus positive baby growing in her womb. Her own antibodies will react and the pregnancy (without medical assistance) will end in miscarriage.

A rhesus negative individual does not have the 'monkey gene' and there have been all kinds of theories about the origin of this blood group. My fave of the moment is that rhesus negative is the blood type of the Neanderthals and that rather than being wiped out we merely interbred with them and created......people like me.
The result of two different species creating off spring.

Now of course they do have evidence of this.Neanderthal Genes Survive in Us.

i watched a documentary that gave a theory about cro magnons mating with neanderthals it was rely interesting but they seem to think it would have been like a mule (sterile) although it would be cool if that wasnt true (the mule part)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Pegasus2000

the Island of Dr. Moreau is 1 of my all time fave movies
(the original that is)
edit on 14-1-2012 by tetriswoooo because: misspelling

top topics

join