It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a real and possible fire source: Cheetos

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
his guys,
you will probably think this is BS, but it's a trick I've known for years and never thought to post about it until now.

in the 90's my best friend told me that a single Cheeto(s) can burn for up to 20 minutes. he said a squatter he met told him about this.

I laughed it off and never paid mind to it.

a few years back in rememberence of him (as he has since passed) we decided to dedicate a Cheeto burning just for fun as we thought the notion to be comical and a tribute he might just appreciate.

I bought a bag of crunchy Cheetos and lit a single Cheeto on fire. !
that orange little morsel burned for at least 20 minutes. slow and steady. it was amazing!!!

it is what it is, but it could provide a kindle source or emergency source in the most dire of needs. (mind you ca keep the 'fire triangle' alive - heat, fuel, and oxygen)
give it a try sometime. is it practicle? who knows?
but something to think about.

edit: crunchy burns quite a bit longer than puffy Cheetos.
edit on 1/14/2012 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

Thank you kind sir for sharing that , 20 minutes you say !

that is so going into the survival pack lol ! thats going to be sooo handy ! the uses !

can't wait to try this

edit on 14-1-2012 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
that's really good to know.You know why?...If your down and out smothered by forest with a shiver crawling up your bone's,that extra snack you brought may help you keep warm in the long run.Hence..it's a cheesy charcoal.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
wow...but what the hell is in the cheetos to make them burn like that? and even more of a worry is that we eat them.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
That is amazing. I had no idea.

I wonder what would happen if I rub two Cheetos together.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
You can do this with any oily chip for the most part, I know that corn chips work perfectly as well.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
just to kind of be redundant to my edit I just posted.

the crunchy ones burn at a slower but more steady rate. I was blown away at how long and steady they burn. really useful tool when starting larger fires or warming hands.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiffJordan
You can do this with any oily chip for the most part, I know that corn chips work perfectly as well.

thanks for this info as well. simple principle I suppose.
edit on 1/14/2012 by zooplancton because: ipad spelling

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Finally, a use for cheetos...certainly not safe to eat.

Great post. Gunna try that.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I wonder what makes it so flammable. My initial thought is the grease inside the chip.

The video posted in this thread says that it is the yellow-6 dye. Apparently it is petroleum based?

I don't know. Either way...It makes me think twice about eating the flaming hot cheetos ever again....

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Spontanious Human Combustion solved? perhaps ........ You be the judge .

Originally posted by yourboycal2

Thank you kind sir for sharing that , 20 minutes you say !

that is so going into the survival pack lol ! thats going to be sooo handy ! the uses !

can't wait to try this

edit on 14-1-2012 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2012 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

this should be on the front page!!

and what the hell do the manufactors have to say about it? kids are eating this poison...

omg... I have been thinking about this since I read it...no wonder there are so many bloody problems with soce...what the hell is in the food?

Cheetos... a real and possible fire source??

wow...thx for the info and s & f for you. Well done... I will be sending this info onto everyone I know.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

Cheetos... a real and possible fire source??

wow...thx for the info and s & f for you. Well done... I will be sending this info onto everyone I know.

thanks thurisaz, i think the best sell is just to try it.
i also had the same reaction.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Awesome! I've been playing with this all day, LOL! No 20 min burn, just 2 or 3 min per ceetoh, but easy to start and nice warm fire! I like the puffy better. Easier start and better flame.

I'm gonna make a tutorial video tomorrow with my magnesium block, cheetohs, and a basic little teepee fir. This is pretty cool.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Powdered coffe creamer is really flamable too........throw small amount of it over an open flame....

please dont try this indoors ....nor do I advise....trying it...but it's knowledge...good, bad, and/or ugly...
most likely a YT vid of tat also....almost flame thrower dangerous....
edit on 14-1-2012 by Doc Holiday because: (no reason given)

youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Oh the temptation to dig through my cupboards and play "connoisseur of the chemical arts" with a lit match to see what burns great and what doesn't.

(must resist desire to play with fire, must resist desire to play with fire)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
No wonder you get fat eating those things. That's a lot of energy for one small cheeto.
Something tells me the 'calorie' count might not be right on those things.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Oh the temptation to dig through my cupboards and play "connoisseur of the chemical arts" with a lit match to see what burns great and what doesn't.

(must resist desire to play with fire, must resist desire to play with fire)

Resistance is futile, embrace your inner pyro!!

I figured this out accidentally one fatefull thursday afternoon way back in high school. We were burning stuff just for fun, so I tried one of the cheetos I was eating. It didn't seem that spectacular to me so I just threw the flaming food like substance away. The time it spent moving through the air was not sufficient to extinguish the flame and as a result, the poplar fuzz scattered on the front lawn of the school went up. ... Oddly enough, that was the same day I got kick out of that school....

If you crush your cheetos into a fine powder and mix it 3-1 with an oxidizer you'll get a decent explosive...
Same as above only add 1 part sulfer and mix it up with mineral oil, you'll get a really good napalm like substance.
It's also good for rocket fuel if you use gasline antifreeze instead of mineral oil and the addition of 2 parts charcoal.

I'm not a pyro, just curious..

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Just let your inner Beavis out, he he hehehehee heeh FIRRRRRRRRRRRRE

<<   2  3 >>

join