It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Giant Footprint at Lepakshi Temple

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I was looking for more information or videos about the 200 million yo giant footprint, and found this. What does everyone think? It seems sort of "flat" and doesn't seem to be imprinted the way a normal foot should be. This footprint is at the Lepakshi Temple in India.

seeker401.wordpress.com...

The footprint is reputed to be the place where the bird jatayu fell after unsuccessfully trying to prevent the abduction of Sita by Ravana. I have also seen where it is stated that it is the footprint of Hanuman.

There is an additional picture of the footprint at this site:
www.flickr.com...
If you look at this picture, there is water inside of the footprint, and you can see an indention in the stone at the heel.

Lepakshi lies lonely and forgotten at the border between Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. A reference is made in the Skandapurana to Lepakshi as one of the hundred and eight important Shaiva Kshetras (pilgrimage centres for worshippers of Shiva) though it is hard to believe today that that this remote town was once a bustling centre for trade and pilgrimage. Lepakshi today is like any other small dusty village lying 122 kms away from Bangalore. The town as such does not have any other attractions for tourists, but the temple, with its rich heritage makes it more than worth the trouble of visiting.

amazing looking footprint..it certainly looks like a footprint..and i have incluided the city in india which has a big footprint as well..did giants walk the earth? and whats the telephone like carving?

www.holidayiq.com...

www.arionclub.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Hanuman (Sanskrit: हनुमान्, Hanumān), is a Hindu deity, who is an ardent devotee of Rama, a central character in the Indian epic Ramayana and one of the dearest devotees of lord Rama. A general among the vanaras, an ape-like race of forest-dwellers, Hanuman is an incarnation of the divine and a disciple of Lord Rama in the struggle against the demon king Ravana. Also known as Anjaneya, Maruti, Pavanputra, Kesharinandan, Arbiter, Anjaniputra, Bajrang Bali and Hanumat, Hanuman's exploits are much celebrated in a variety of religious and cultural traditions,[1] particularly in Hinduism, so much so that he is often the object of worship according to some bhakti traditions,[2] and is the prime deity in many temples known as Hanuman Mandirs.

en.wikipedia.org...

In the Hindu epic Ramayana, Jatayu (Sanskrit: जटायू Jatāyū, Tamil: Chatayu, Thai: Sadayu, Malay: Jentayu or Chentayu) is the son of Aruṇa and nephew of Garuda. A demi-god who has the form of a vulture, he was an old friend of Dasharatha (Rama's father). He tries to rescue Sita from Ravana when Ravana is on his way to Lanka after kidnapping Sita. Jatayu fought valiantly with Ravana, but as Jatayu was very old Ravana soon got the better of him. As Rama and Lakshmana chanced upon the stricken and dying Jatayu in their search for Sita, he informs them of the fight between him and Ravana and the direction in which Ravana had gone (i.e., south).

edit on 13-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Probably just oddly worn stone

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Very interesting.
The problem I have with everyone saying, not properly shaped, blah, blah is, how in the world would you really know how someones foot SHOULD be shaped if they were that big? Might they have some types of deformity being that large? Or, maybe that would be the norm for a giant. We just don't know!!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Perhaps it is a carving made my hand. I am sure many civilisations would have made imprints of hands and feet, perhaps made larger to represent a GODs or something. It doesnt look how I would imagine a genuine print though.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Did some digging here is what i found, the location is in Lepakshi, India. Pretty fascinating site really, after some reading I would love to go visit the place.

From Wiki: en.wikipedia.org...

Lepakshi is an ultimate testimony for Vishwakarma Brahmins who sculpted these temples. It is believed that noted Vishwakarma Amarashilpi Jakkanachari took part in the planning the architecture of these temples. There are many shila shasanas that the famous sculptors like Dakoju, Maroju took part in this temple sculpture.

...and more.

There are many specialities in this temple like rock chain, Vastu Purush, Padmini race Lady, Hanging Pillar , Durga Paadam, Lapakshi saree designs etc. On the walls of this temple, there are several stories like mahabhaaratha, ramayana etc are sculpted. Also on the roof there are so many beautiful paitings done by natural colour mixtures. One more famous spot in this temple is "Eyes of Viroopaakshanna". As the history says, Due to king's misunderstanding with this temple builder, king ordered to make him blind. Hearing this the builder plucked his own eyes and throw at this temple walls. Till date one can find those blood scars on that particular wall.

The image of the footprint is from what i could find called the Durga-padam. I am working on a translation but i speak neither Hindi or sanskrit so it will be a crapshoot.

dur·ga/ˈdo͝orgä/
A fierce goddess, wife of Shiva, often identified with Kali. Which would make sense considering the location of this glyph.

not sure about padam...could mean a number of things, I did find it interesting though that there is another place in India called Sri Vaari Paadam (the spelling is ambiguous here, some have it spelled padma), but it is compelling because of this location it is said that:

Sri Vaari Padam is a place on the hills where you can see the feet of Lord Shri Venkateshwara.Its said that the Lord descended on the earth first at this place.

The second image is called the 'dinner plate' or 'color palate,' and it is also found in Lepakshi. I cannot postulate its meaning but considering the number of famous Brahmin artisans that worked on this temple I am sure that it was not placed in vain and may have even been utilitarian.

Thanks for the post, S&F gave me something fun to look up while i migrate data at work. Neat Stuff!

cs

Edit: to add that it would also not surprise me to find that this particular footprint was encouraged from a natural impression in the stone. The artists that sculpted at this site were some of the most renowned in ancient India who could have easily chiseled those details in. Feet play an important role in Indian spirituality, to have an ancient Brahmin temple revering immensely important icons with one of these worked into it is not that unusual or unexpected.
edit on 13-1-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Very interesting although it appears to be too uniformed, even the depth which leads me to believe it was created artificially. Now I'm not implying it was a means of deceiving the people I just don't believe it was meant to be accepted as belonging to a factual being. Why only one foot print?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Funny thing is, it's tough for me to swallow these 'footprints in rock' theories - I just think our eyes see what they want to see, for example: The first thing that popped in my head when I saw this pic was 'Why do these footprints always show up in one's?, then BINGO!!!, my eyes saw the *left* foot in the upper left hand corner!

Is that really Big Right's partner, or is it just my eyes?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

Good find!.....I see that too!....very curious

It could possible be just from erosion. The placement is about right, but judging from the amount of stonework at the temple, I would guess that the footprint is man-made.
edit on 13-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
I was looking for more information or videos about the 200 million yo giant footprint, and found this. What does everyone think?

Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I'd have to say that the giant that made the print in Africa had tiny feet if his stride reached to India!

Hey! This means that the African print is upright probably because the giant took a running jump in order to leap all the way to India (rather Hulk - like.)

The foot he pushed off from was up on a wall - so he could get more lift. Thus the verticality of the print he left behind.

Harte

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I have never understood how a footprint made in mud could possibly fossilize at all. One good rain would wash it away .
It may have been carved near the time the ring one was.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

Why only one foot print?

Because the workers were tired of doing it after carving the first.

ETA: @Harte LOL

edit on 1/13/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Looks like Buddha's footprint(Buddhapada) to me;

Google images
Wiki
Religionfacts
edit on 1/13/12 by NotTooHappy because: fixed links

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Its not only Lepakshi, but there are numerous temples large and small ones all over india, with carvings (mind it, i say carvings) of giant foot and pairs of feet, all over India.

i am sorry to say, they are carvings only and not an indicator to the existence of giants in the world.

if you ask me - how do i know it, i would reply - i have seen many because i am from India and i have seen many such carvings all over India.

even in my native town, there is giant footprint on a large rock near a large cave, which is purported to be of Bhima, on of the 5 brothers that made up the Pandavas of the epic Mahabharatha.

There is the Seetha Amman Koivl temple at Nuwara Eliya in Sri Lanka which has a large footprint on a rock (again..just one footprint..wonder why these "giants" went around hopping on one leg?? were they playing hopscotch??)

There are numerous temples all over south asia also which has similar foorprint "carvings"

They are just CARVINGs....so relax...

join