It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployed lady seeks legal advice over human rights issue.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
This morning I came across the case of Cait Reilly, who studied geology at university and is now unemployed. She may face losing her benefits if she refuses work at PoundLand. Effectively, a dollar store.

Her CV will not be enhanced by such work.

It is my understanding, concerning work programmes, that the work should be ‘tailored’ to meet your needs. This is an insult to the young lady and I hope her case is a landmark and precedent for others.

Hope the link has worked.

www.dailymail.co.uk..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.dailymai... l.co.uk/news/article-2085142/Unemployed-graduate-sues-ministers-forced-stack-shelves-Poundland.html

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

Wouldn't interships serve her CV as well?
Though they pay a stipend at best, they would keep her in her chosen career field.

And even if she takes the PoundLand job, she could always work nights/weekends in other areas that do conform to her career path.

Or she could work pro bono in a number of areas that also cater to her profession.

Just throwing ideas out there.

+34 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Here's a working link

So this girl has been on unemployment for over a year and the govt. wants her to get a job that she feels is beneath her? So much entitlement over there it makes me cringe. I'm assuming the govt. also footed the bill for her education. In the real world, when you can't find your dream job, you work at a crappy one until you get a break. Volunteering is something she can do after she earns her own money and stops mooching off of actual taxpayers.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Geology alone is not going to get her a decent job. She should take what she can get until something more suited comes along.

link   

I disagree entirely. She has been claiming for a year but is refusing to take a job. Why the hell should the rest of society have to pay for her refusing work?

I have been unemployed in the past myself. I understand there is an element of holding out for the right job. However, benefits are paid for by our tax money. By refusing to work, she is basically sticking two fingers up to the rest of us. She basically seems like a lot of people these days - thinks the world owes her.

Not only do i fervently hope that she loses the case, i also hope that she gets hit with court costs.

+20 more 
link   
I just read that article and it made me very sad. On one hand she has a volunteer job working for a museum, where she can use the skills and knowledge she got to go along with her degree. On the other hand she has a minimum wage job at a low end retail store. Since she is on an unemployment type program, she is forced to take the minimum wage job at the retail store. This does nothing to get her in to a position where she can start a career, or utilize her college education.

This shows the mentality of the world right now. If you dont take the job, you are ungrateful, and dont deserve the help. If you do take the job you are stuck going nowhere fast, and throwing away the degree you are now in debt for.

DC
edit on 1/12/2012 by xDeadcowx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
ugh, the entitlement attitudes make my eyes cringe - how about this option, if you agree that working at Poundland is beneath her and not right - take her into your house, pay her bills and support her and see how long it takes till you tell her to go get ANY job

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

What is stopping her from taking the job whilst still looking for the type of work she wants? Geesh, i just don't understand some people.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Times are tough. You do what you have to to get by.

Would this be a human rights complaint to argue that she's too well educated to work in retail? I -- having been unemployed myself a few scant months ago -- think this is an issue with our society. Sure, you've got your degree, but it doesn't entitle you to a thing. Got a family to feed? Take the bloody job.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Let me make 2 valid points.

1, this work will not enhance her chances of finding the work she studied for. In fact, it’s an insult to a graduate.

2, would YOU enjoy being forced into work you knew would make you feel unhappy?

Isn’t that what ATS is all about…rights? Please refrain from tabloid ‘she gotta work’ posts.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx

I just read that article and it made me very sad. On one hand she has a volunteer job working for a museum, where she can use the skills and knowledge she got to go along with her degree. On the other hand she has a minimum wage job at a low end retail store. Since she is on an unemployment type program, she is forced to take the minimum wage job at the retail store. This does nothing to get her in to a position where she can start a career, or utilize her college education.

This shows the mentality of the world right now. If you dont take the job, you are ungrateful, and dont deserve the help. If you do take the job you are stuck going nowhere fast, and throwing away the degree you are now in debt for.

DC
edit on 1/12/2012 by xDeadcowx because: (no reason given)

Very well said.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Wow first world human rights issues... She won't be happy working because she is a snob and feels the job is beneath her. Ridiculous. It doesn't make you angry that you're (actually probably not) paying for her to volunteer? Tough luck girl. Do what the rest of the real world has to and take a crappy job to pay your bills.

Your 'valid points' really aren't. She can continue to volunteer and work a real job. There are a TON of people that aren't happy at work. They don't get govt. cheese because they have a case of the Mondays.

edit on 12-1-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids

1, this work will not enhance her chances of finding the work she studied for. In fact, it’s an insult to a graduate.

Isn’t that what ATS is all about…rights? Please refrain from tabloid ‘she gotta work’ posts.

1. We have to do lots of things that seem unhelpful in the short term. Should we just not do those things?
2. Happiness is irrelevant. Would that mean that if I wanted to be unemployed and supported for the rest of my life I could just go back to school to train for something I know no one will be hiring for?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

They are not valid actually.

this work will not enhance her chances of finding the work she studied for.

yes it will, it shows she is willing to actually work.

In fact, it’s an insult to a graduate.

no, it is not a insult

, would YOU enjoy being forced into work you knew would make you feel unhappy?

She is NOT being forced to work there, do you think they forcibly carry her down and lock her in the store? If she hates the job she should find one that she likes

Isn’t that what ATS is all about…rights?

No, it is about "denying ignorance"

Just what right do you think she has in this case?
edit on 12-1-2012 by spoor because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Some of the replies here are a little misleading I feel.

The girl in question was NEVER offered paid work in poundland, she was made to leave one voluntary position (working in a museum) to go and work FOR FREE at poundland for 2 weeks in the run up to Christmas
She was told that she would then get an interview for an actual paid position there which never happened.

So she wasn't taken from a voluntary position in order to be given paid work, she was taken from a voluntary position in a job that was actually somewhat relevant to her career goal to work for free in another job that wasn't

I'm not sure when exactly the government started supplying unpaid labour to private companies.
edit on 12-1-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

I disagree entirely. She has been claiming for a year but is refusing to take a job. Why the hell should the rest of society have to pay for her refusing work?

I have been unemployed in the past myself. I understand there is an element of holding out for the right job. However, benefits are paid for by our tax money. By refusing to work, she is basically sticking two fingers up to the rest of us. She basically seems like a lot of people these days - thinks the world owes her.

Not only do i fervently hope that she loses the case, i also hope that she gets hit with court costs.

couldn't have said it better myself.
im going to be made redundant at the end of the month and if i have to work at poundland, tesco or be a dog-poop-cleaner to pay the bills thats what i'll do until i get a job i want, even if i do feel those jobs are 'below me'.

too many people in this country feel like they are 'entitled' to get something for nothing and thats why its going down the pan. there are jobs out there but people are too lazy to pull their fingers out and at least look for one.
edit on 12-1-2012 by just1cornell0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet

1. We have to do lots of things that seem unhelpful in the short term. Should we just not do those things?
2. Happiness is irrelevant. Would that mean that if I wanted to be unemployed and supported for the rest of my life I could just go back to school to train for something I know no one will be hiring for?

Let me explain further. if she doesnt do this job, she may face losing her benefits and that is alo unfair. the work programme states the work must be 'tailored' to support your needs and a university graduate working in a dollar store is wasting her time. there is NO way around this.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

It isn't tabloid "she's gotta work" quotes - it is genuinely how i feel. I work hard, i pay my taxes. The lady in question is too lazy to work, simple as.

I work in construction. On the site we are on at the moment, there are several labourers that have degrees and we even have a doctorate on site (although he is bricklaying now).

She needs to get over herself and realise that it is up to her to support herself, not up to society to give her a slap on the back saying"well done, you can't be bothered to work, here have some cash you poor little lady".

Makes me sick to my stomach

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoor

They are not valid actually.

this work will not enhance her chances of finding the work she studied for.

yes it will, it shows she is willing to actually work.

In fact, it’s an insult to a graduate.

no, it is not a insult

, would YOU enjoy being forced into work you knew would make you feel unhappy?

She is NOT being forced to work there, do you think they forcibly carry her down and lock her in the store? If she hates the job she should find one that she likes

Isn’t that what ATS is all about…rights?

No, it is about "denying ignorance"

Just what right do you think she has in this case?
edit on 12-1-2012 by spoor because: (no reason given)

My points are THE definition of valid. The work programme states it must be experience tailored to support your needs.

Ignorance of human rights…

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I don't know how this works but it looks to me that the government are effectively giving the owners of "poundland" about 10k per person per year.

If the government want to make you do voluntary work in the community, Fine. But to offer you around as slaves that profit another just seems wrong to me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join