It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There a Dark Side to Moving in Sync?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I found this very interesting research about synchronized physical activities that I want to share with you:

Moving in harmony can make people feel more connected to one another and, as a result, lead to positive collective action. Think of those feel-good vibes created in a yoga class as students move in unison through their downward-facing dogs. Yet given that synchronized physical activities are also a cornerstone of military training and are the highlights of military propaganda reels, could the interconnectedness created by coordinated action be mined to make people behave destructively instead?

" Wiltermuth, an expert on group dynamics, says the findings are the first to indicate that synchronous activities may be used to influence leader-follower relations and are especially pertinent, as synchronized action like marching and chanting are still used in political and religious rallies to influence people throughout the world. "

I can remember of a bigger one that happened in eastern europe from 1935 to 1945....

In the experiment, participants were instructed to either walk in sync with an experimenter, out-of-step with them or simply alongside them at their own pace. They were then asked to gather as many bugs as possible in 30 seconds and put them into a device where they were told they’d die.

Those participants who walked in step with the same experimenter who later instructed them to kill the bugs put approximately 54 percent more bugs into the device than did those in the control condition. They also put 38 percent more bugs into the funnel than did participants in the coordinated but asynchronous condition and twice as many bugs into the funnel as did participants who walked in synchrony with a different experimenter than the one who instructed them to terminate the insects.

Full article here:

SDaily

Somehow I had realized this after watching the video below few years ago:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
i heard if you play pink floyds dark side of the moon whilst watching the wizard of oz they sync up
zing!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm glad you made this thread, because I have an outlandish belief of mine that I would like to share.

I believe in God. I believe we do not have free will, but only the illusion of it, and that all actions are in fact being done by God.

With that said, I do believe in harmony as well, but it is something that most of us are largely unfamiliar with. Harmony being the synchronous occurences of events to line up with your observation of them so that things seem to occur at exactly the right time as if all is some form of divine dance.

Most of the time it is subtle, but sometimes it is unmistakeable. I believe if we allowed harmony, we would be very aware of the connectedness of all life through the one life that is God. I believe harmony is accessible by allowing others their "free will" and accepting others for who they are.

To me, harmony is really a continuous fluctuation in HOW you perceive things. We have one track minds. Events happen and will continue to happen as they always have. For some, it is mundane. For others, it is divine. It is all about HOW your perceive it. So harmony is when you allow your focus to be, for lack of a better word, God's focus. That's how you become acquainted with "The Plan". You give up your free will that you never really had in the first place. Everything, imo, is created, so if you have the ability to see through the eyes of the creator by adhering to the will of the creator, then you have foresight. Foresight is harmony. The thing is, it is impossible to not adhere to the will of the creator since the creator's will is the only will there is. So really, all you are doing is accepting that. Then you have harmony and foresight.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
What an excellent thread.

Humans have this beautiful capacity to come together and respond as a single organism. Not only that, but those fortunate enough to participate in the positive, spontaneous permutation of this phenomenon uniformally declare it to be one of the most wonderful and transcendent experiences of their lives.

Try this. Go to youtube and start watching some flash mob videos. Monitor your reactions closely. You might surprise yourself.

Now, can this awesome ability we have as a species be leveraged against us? Of course, and I daresay more research has been put toward the military and crowd control applications than toward the more exciting directions our joy in such unity suggests.
edit on 12-1-2012 by mistermonculous because: grammamar

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mistermonculous

Now, can this awesome ability we have as a species be leveraged against us? Of course, and I daresay more research has been put toward the military and crowd control applications than toward the more exciting directions our joy in such unity suggests.

Thanks. Glad you liked.

You're right. But I think we'll hardly joy this.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This is a fascinating thread! I've been experiencing this harmony so much lately in my life along with increased synchronicities. It's a wonderful thing to just observe it happening it really is quite an insightful experience and I've been trying to find a way to describe it because its been happening so often now.

Here's another good link

tue.academia.edu... d_Entitativity
edit on 12-1-2012 by matrixportal because: add link

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by matrixportal

Wow, what an awesome paper, man!

Thank you for that.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mistermonculous

Sure thing! I'm reading through it now its a good one.

top topics

join