It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Very Real Danger of Genetically Modified Foods

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

The issue here is that the way they genetically modify organisms could be creating novel micro RNA that has not occurred via evolution or selective breeding. We now know that the food we eat can impact how our gene's express in our bodies and hence impact our health and life in WAYS previously not imagined.
Corn was not genetically modified via gene gun or cauliflower mosaic virus back then... all the plants could do was hope they were fertilized by another corn plant that had a better genome for survival in the environment they grew in.

They weren't getting other species DNA forced into them in multiple insertion sites ... just saying... the process is totally different.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
People are figuring it all out... but its not easy feeding 600 million north americans. We can feed our continent for the most part, Asia Cannot. Their people are starving, its horrible. Famines. Its truly heart breaking how hungry so many people are.

all I have to say is Obesity is directly related to how your cells collect fat. What regulates cells collecting fat?
If you actually go into the cell, its a lot like a computer! DNA is micro Information in the forms of amino acids. So literally DNA controls how much fat your cells absorb.

You are what you eat.

edit on 12-1-2012 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by N3v3rmor3

can you elaborate on the digestive track thing?

Here are just a few of many articles and papers:

howtoeliminatepain.com... genetically-modified-foods-lead-to-inflammatory-bowel-disease-crohn%E2%80%99s-and-ulcerative-c/
macrobiotichealingmagazine.blogspot.com...
www.naturalnews.com...

There is a lot out on the internet about this and a growing body of peer reviewed work that is being taken more seriously. Unfortunately it is generally not until someone in power has a condition like yours that things start to change. I have meet people with Crohns and it is a very nasty and debilitating condition. I wish you well in understanding exactly what is going on and through finding the right diet, limit these symptoms.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

Ironically the Earth is still producing more than enough food to feed everyone, even with the last fews years climate disasters. The issue is not food growth right now, it's economic disadvantage, nearly 25% of the world's population doesn't have enough money to feed themselves properly. (Especially with the "gambling" that goes on in the commodity markets with the future derivatives)

Compounding the disaster is huge Agri Business buying up land for Western Hemisphere Export farming and kicking the subsistence farmers off the land...these folks have been living this way with little "modern world " education for generations and generations and so end up in the larger cities in shanty towns ... and do not have a piece of paper saying they own the land they and their ancestors have been on for hundreds of years ... sooo

GMO farming is not about feeding the world or improving the food; it's about taking control of food production, ensuring a market for their herbicides/pesticides and maximizing profits.

When genetic engineering came out, I was as excited as the rest of the scientific community, thinking we could get rid of pesticides and loads of nitrogen fertilizer. Reduce pollution, improve the plants.. But that is not what they have done and worse they let this stuff out in the environment when it is still in its experimental stage because we really do not know exactly what we are doing. They are taking a huge gamble and we are the rest of this planet are the guinea pigs... it's no wonder they have a huge seed back in the Nordics.. just in case it all goes horribly wrong.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

well ty so much for the info, i thank you for your kind words, my medication helps but fasting and only eating once a day keeps me pretty sane.

i have fibromyalgia too so im on a crapload of meds,

maybe with this information i can find a diet free of gmo's and fix myself up enough to get off the meds
or at least the ones that are bad for me.. eww.

ty again

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
There are over 20 peer reviewed studies that show GMO's cause disease. Of course this will go ignored, and health problems will be blamed on other things like stress at work...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBlackman

Alice, you are right on about GMO not being about production.

www.theithacajournal.com...

An exhaustive study completed by 20 conservation groups worldwide has found that genetically modified crops have failed to increase the yield of any food crop, and it has dramatically increased the use of chemicals and the growth of "superweeds."

Even though GM corporations have claimed their crops would reduce the use of insecticides, it has actually increased 13-fold. Populations of pests that had previously been minor problems have shot up 12-fold in the past 14 years. Also, as 10 common weeds have now developed resistance in 22 states, farmers are being forced to use more herbicides to combat them

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBlackman

could not agree with you more

Earth has an unbelievable amount of food on it but the world (western especially) has got more choosy on what it eats and the recent manipulating of the world around us and our cultivating methods has nothing but worse effects on our planet

I too was hopeful at first about the gene modification of crops but it seems to have nothing to do with bettering ourselves or the eco system only profits

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I read an interesting article on the dangers of genetically modified food here:
www.misija.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join