It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Very Real Danger of Genetically Modified Foods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

The Very Real Danger of Genetically Modified Foods

www.theatlantic.com

New research shows that when we eat we're consuming more than just vitamins and protein. Our bodies are absorbing information, or microRNA.

Chinese researchers have found small pieces of ribonucleic acid (RNA) in the blood and organs of humans who eat rice. The Nanjing University-based team showed that this genetic material will bind to proteins in human liver cells and influence the uptake of cholesterol from the blood.

The type of RNA in question is called microRNA, due to its small size...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nature.com
www.news-medical.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Genetically Engineered Food Alters Our Digestive Systems!
Toxin from GM crops found in human blood
GMO Crops Require More Pesticides, Create Resistant Insects
GMO Crop Sabotage on the Rise

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Wow...

We all had suspicions about GM crops/food having potentially negative health effects, but this study may provide proof of the potential harm that GM crops could do.

Of course we all know the obvious dangers of GM crops... they tend to be highly domesticated/monocultural, with questionable properties, and therefore subject to mass collapses at the very least; but now, it may be that any health effects of GM foods (via microRNA) can be coded to vast swaths of crops and distributed ALL AROUND THE WORLD, effectively 'infecting' entire world populations with the same, potentially harmful, GM microRNA bits.

Can Monsanto worm its way out of this one? Or will science be the pesticide to their worm and the infestation that is mass/industrial-level GM food?

Personally, I hope it's the latter.

In any case, the implications may be broad and deep for many fields of study.

www.theatlantic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
This does provide support to the generational studies of GMO and how species are rendered infertile by the third generation with some GMO varieties. With clear evidence that some RNA in the food we eat is absorbed into the cells it does help identify how infertility is achieved. There are also reports around identifying how the DNA with the bacteria living inside our digestive track is permanently altered after we eat GMO food.

After seeing how industry operates with asbestos and other nasties, it is going to take a lot of scientific and legal work to get things on a better track. It is good to see a growing international presence on these issues.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Presumably this has been happening with "normal" food for the last billion years of life on this planet - why is it that GMO is definitively going to be harmful??

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

The food we have had develop over the last 6 billion or so years has evolved to it's environment in the way nature works. There are reasons in the genetic code for the way things are, lots of mutations have been tried with the one that work remaining.

Now we are playing with this code while we still do not fully understand it. Many of the chemical pathways are being uncovered but we are still some way off from a complete picture. It is an important field of study in understanding DNA and the language of life, but having such large scale output without understanding the long term implications is catastrophic. With industry having a history of many harmful outputs it is not a matter of if mistakes will be made with GMO, but when.

With many reports of intimidation and bias reporting in the GMO field, it does provides little faith that this technology is being used in an appropriate and responsible manner.

In some ways this is just nature doing what nature does, tries new stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I would rather not learn the hard way if it can be avoided.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Gm foods are dangerous fullstop. NEVER consume any GM products.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Nature's food was made perfect to work in harmony with our bodies. Altering nature when we don't know the half of it's repercussions and with the alterations failing and already causing unintended and dangerous mutations should be enough to know we're playing with fire. Anything that has been genetically modified is no longer a true food, it is a synthetic substance.

Health Risks of GMOs

Functioning GM genes remain inside you

Unlike safety evaluations for drugs, there are no human clinical trials of GM foods. The only published human feeding experiment revealed that the genetic material inserted into GM soy transfers into bacteria living inside our intestines and continues to function.[39] This means that long after we stop eating GM foods, we may still have their GM proteins produced continuously inside us.

If the antibiotic gene inserted into most GM crops were to transfer, it could create super diseases, resistant to antibiotics.
If the gene that creates Bt-toxin in GM corn were to transfer, it might turn our intestinal bacteria into living pesticide factories.
Animal studies show that DNA in food can travel into organs throughout the body, even into the fetus.[40]

edit on 12-1-2012 by kalamatas because: typo

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I would like to see the topmanagers of Monsanto on a strict Monsanto-GM-Food-diet.

What do you think do they give their children for breakfast? What kind of groceries are in THEIR fridges? (Yeah, sure, there are the gallons of fresh kids blood from 3rd world countries, but beside that?*scnr*)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

really?? Did you actually say that? there are many studies that have suggested many different types of disease resulting from GMO. Did you just get here?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Well there you have it man and he's meddling will doom us all

Seriously though if we play with things like this they should be extensively tested and tested again for at least 10 generations of whatever we play with, look at the problems we have helped create over the past century or so with pesticides/herbicides and nasty chemicals that humans are always too eager to use.

I mean people have won nobel prizes for destroying and altering our eco-systems whats up with that

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by NoHierarchy

Sense I became an ATS member I have awakened to GM foods. It seems near impossible to find a restaurant or grocery store I can believe has un tainted foods, so what I did is, we bought the acre of land next to our l acre homestead, last year we cleared it. I bought a 3 year supply of heirloom seeds, have learned how to use organic gardening, i.e pesticides made from products like oils and such, I learned it only takes a little dish soap in a bottle of water and spray the garden to keep the garden mites out. I had a small learnign garden last year, the major blnder of that garden was i hadnt completely learned organic gardening, I bought Hybred soil (genetically modified) using heirloom seeds my garden was pathetic and died half way through the season. This year i have a compost pile and i think im ready to stop ingesting their crap.

And a word for the wise of ATS, not all of us have been waking up as long as you old timers here. give us newer peole a break when we ask what you deem a stupid dquestion or thread, think perhaps maybe we came here to learn truths as you did back when you first came to ATS/ peace

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

i live in a place where the food grown is roundup resistant, is that considered genetically modified?>

im thinking im going to get a yes but i have to ask someone i really want to know if the food is safe where i live

ty

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

can you elaborate on the digestive track thing?

I have chrons disease and i didnt get really really bad until about 2004, which is i believe if im correct i saw a youtube video about how they removed vitamins and put chemicals in then... im thinking maybe she was talking about Gm foods... maybe not...

but are you saying that the GM foods are causing things of this nature to occur and that these could be a result not only of genetic predisposition but with a trigger from the GM foods as well?

i have to apologize if im stupid, i only woke up two years ago, and i only started on ats recently...

if i am absolutely dumb please forgive me but have pity on my ignorance and try to answer me anyways>?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by N3v3rmor3

Roundup is a GM product and you have to use it with their high bred seeds and their soil or the garden wont grow. the GM products used with non GM products creates a weird looking bacterial fungas and extreme garden mites.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Wonderful great find. ...the missing link I needed for one of my little projects. Thank you. S&F&

This tidbit of information dovetails with much more that's turning our whole concept of evolution on its ear.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Corn was genetically modified hundreds of years ago. We all ingest some form or derivative of corn every day.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

The issue with genetically modified food is that they only test for the effects of the new protein / molecule on animals for a couple of weeks/months and then say the whole new organism is safe to eat. The methods they use can alter lots of other things in the plant and they do not test for that. Not only that but every batch of GMO seeds is different, because they have no way of knowing where their novel genes are going to insert themselves into the DNA or how many times their piece is going to be inserted anywhere. Location of genes is very important to how the gene's are expressed. Scientists are still a long way off understanding the ins and outs of how DNA works. It's like asking a guy whose figured out how to top up wiper fluid in car to change the car's transmission and wiring system and expecting it all to work out ok. Yes your car might go for a little while, but soon you'll probably start seeing problems, potentially even fatal problems.
Cancer / Diabetes / heart disease /immune system disease rates are going through the roof here … but it couldn’t possible have anything to do with GMO’s and the ever increasing amounts of round up and other herbicides/pesticides they’re having to spray to keep up with the new and aggressive super weeds, could it ? ….also an interesting tid bit is that Monsanto also had links to big Pharma..
So we could be chomping down on food that has much higher levels of toxic molecules than the variety that was selected over thousands of years of breeding by farmers to ensure it's safe and the best variety for where they live. Remember there was one GMO "animal feed" corn that got into Taco's and it killed some folks right there and then...oooops.
At any rate, we need mandatory labeling so people can choose to take the risk or not.. That’s if they can afford to because it receives huge tax payer subsidies to make it cheaper than organic foods...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by minor007
Gm foods are dangerous fullstop. NEVER consume any GM products.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I agree with the advice, but isn't that easier said than done? You'd have to NEVER eat anything away from your own home, because I'm pretty much sure that everything in every restaurant is full of GM products.

Super frustrating for those of us who want to eat only healthy REAL food but don't like to cook.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join