It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

survival drivers test

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
yea, yea, i know, ya' all are excellent drivers.
b.s. is my responce.
all you city dwellers can't drive.
the ability to drive fast and weave in and out of traffic is worth a couple of points, but that's it.
the ability to handle off road situations is. those deep in the mountains, or way out in the desert, off the pavement
would get my vote for drivers i want in my caravan across the wasteland.
how many of you have any real experience off the pavement grid?
how much of your driving experience is locked in four wheel drive?
i remember much of the year at the cabin in montana, that old scout had chains on all fours at least 4 months out of the year.
so, how good a driver are you, really?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

LJ01 does not have a 4x4

I expect the roads to be messed up from people that think they can drive......

I will go as far as my Neon and or Montana will take us

Then walk the rest of the way.....To where though, your place

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
sorry double post
edit on 11-1-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Not driving anywhere.

In any apocalyptic situation it's going to be instinctual for every lemming on the planet to get int their vehicles and run.

I'll stay put and, when all the safe defensible structures are abandoned, I'll move into one of those, and pick through all the nice empty houses still full of provisions and swag while everyone else makes things worse on themselves and everyone else by running to the hills and clogging up freeways, while wasting gasoline that might not ever be produced again.

I'll disassemble all those nice solar powered road signs for the photo cells, and scavenge all the car batteries from vehicles people were forced to abandon due to all the traffic, scavenging/collecting/hoarding/storing gasoline/diesel where it can be found, and live in relative comfort with electricity, and all the other comforts urban dwelling has to offer with several cache stores and fall back points supplied and fortified against all the hungry desperate masses out of those that survive that will eventually come wandering back.

I'll stick around where everyone has left, where survival scavenging competition won't be as fierce as where every other lemming has tried running off to.
edit on 11-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I don't think a nice drive in the country is an issue.

Have you ever heard of a fisherman throwing his net into the center of the pond and having it spread out to catch fish?

No.

You throw a net out wide, and draw it into the center.

Off-gridders and survivalists will be collected first and brought to the more manageable areas. nice and cosy like.

common sense. people in urban areas won't be finding any 'open' roads to leave cities.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'm adept at off road and winter driving conditions. As I already life in a rural place on top of a mountain, I'd only be using the truck or 4-wheeler to travel around up here if needed to haul something back home.

I agree it would only take about a week, for most highways/roads close to cities, to become impassable. I wouldn't go near a city in my vehicle...would have to waste bullets defending it from those who want it.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I've got a good 6 months worth of food and a well, and plenty of bullets, and I'm not driving anywhere for quite a while if SHTF!

But, I agree with you. For those that have not traversed deep creeks, or taken something up an incline where they thought they might rollover, or been buried in the mud to the point the doors won't open and you have to crawl out the window to toss the cable around something and winch yourself out, then they don't know much about survival driving.

There is "high-speed tactical driving" and then there is "mud-bogging," "rock-crawling," and just good ol' dirt road antics! Getting sideways on a dirt road at about 70 with ditches or mud banks on each side is quite an adventure as well! Little clay pellets are just about as bad as ice once you hit a certain speed.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

That sounds plausible...as long as wide spread fires don't consume your cushy little place. Remember if TSHTF in wintertime...people will be starting fires all over the place to keep warm. But, they might not know how to do it safely. No services to dial 911 for help either.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
ok, so far we have 4, i'm not sure what.
people with little driving skills in survival situation?
yea, that's it. i counted the double post just cause' you deserve it.

and 1 member of my apocalypse mad max caravan.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

I'll disassemble all those nice solar powered road signs for the photo cells, and scavenge all the car batteries from vehicles people were forced to abandon due to all the traffic, and live in relative comfort with electricity, and all the other comforts urban dwelling has to offer.

Never seen this mentioned anywhere before, and it is genius! Two thumbs up and stars for you!

Now, don't ever say it again! This will be our little secret!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

cool, a definate second member.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I always keep a steel cable come along in my truck. Has saved my a$$ from a deep mud ditch. As long as there is a tree or boulder nearby...all good.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Yep! And a good country boy/girl, knows you never clean out the back of your truck.
Spare wood, cables, old empty jugs of antifreeze, loose gravel, tow ropes, a chainsaw, and that is just the scrap. My toolbox has the good stuff.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
i like my rolled up piece of heavy chicken wire.
if you can get it under your wheel, you can drive out of anything.
a 12 volt air pump and tire plugs have also saved my ass numorous times.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Definitely a tire plug kit, and an air pump. Also got a little pick axe and shovel in my tool box, and some basic tools, like a limbsaw, hammer, and nails.

Most people don't know how useful it is to let the air out of your tires when you are on very loose dirt/mud/sand. Dropping all-terrain tires down to about 10 p.s.i. will get you across some nasty stuff sometimes if you can keep it in low gear, or at an idle speed. Then you have to be able to air them back up when you get to pavement again.

An old Hummer mechanic taught me a lot of tricks. He was military trained, but then he went to work at a Hummer (H-1) dealer in Texas. They had a test-track out back, and they guaranteed nobody could get one of their hummers stuck. I don't remember the prize, but they had people travel in and try to accomplish it, and every single time, he was able to walk out to the truck, fiddle around with air pressures, rock it a little to get the wheels turned the way he wanted them, and then drive it back to the shop. He even got a couple of journalists all topsy-turvy out there, but he was always able to drive the trucks right back to the shop.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Destinyone

Yep! And a good country boy/girl, knows you never clean out the back of your truck.
Spare wood, cables, old empty jugs of antifreeze, loose gravel, tow ropes, a chainsaw, and that is just the scrap. My toolbox has the good stuff.

LOL yep. The only time all that crap leaves my truck is when I have to pick up bales of straw and hay for the goats.

Everything is a tool, no matter what is was before.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I am the Trance-Porter thats how good. mmmmuuuaaahauhahahaa!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

when my int. scout grows up it'll be one of those hummers.
there's times at my gila spread that it's too muddy for weeks to take the main dirt the last 3 miles.
there's a back way that's steep but much shorter.
chained up it isn't a problemgetting ip there, but coming down there's one steep drop off.
there's a permanent chain attached to the tree.
hook it to the hitch and it'll stop you before the drop off into the canyon.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I have not had to chain myself to a tree preemptively before!!
I hope I never do! That is pretty nutz!

Actually, I've never seen tire-chains used on mud before, just snow. BUT, I do love the old Scouts!
Many would say it is better than the Hummer! I used to know another guy that got his jollies pulling rich kids in Hummers out of the mud with his old Jeep.
I just got my wife a new jeep, they aren't as good as they used to be.
V6 instead of straight 6? And a lot of plastic these days.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

chains in mud work as good if not better than snow.
it'd funny, cause for a good six months out of the year you can't tell what color the scout is.
it never leaves the gila and i park it at a buddies down the mountain when i hit the pavement in another vehicle.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join