It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we need to teach children about death?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Children don't know death. All they do is living. Does anything they do has death as outcome? I don't think we need to fear death. Death is nothing to fear. There's no death without God.

Does it sound like I believe?

Fear teaches.

All this nonsense to come to the conclusion that fear teaches.

What did I miss out on in my life? There is only one thing you can come short in life and that's love.

Did I miss anything? Love is a lot. Love.. love death. Life's so much more with love.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

If we dont keep tramatizing children with the thought of death in 60-80 years then what reazon will they have to worry about the judgment of a nonexistant sky daddy?

We need to damage them now so we can continue the faith and restock the dwindling supplys of infant forskin.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
They are called innocent for a reason. Death is inevitable, the first 10 or so years that they can be free of that understanding will soon be replaced by the 70-80 years they have left to get to know it.

And they will know it regardless, pets die, relatives die, but there's no need to teach them about it imo.. it's not a skill.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

lol you are one weird puppy...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Things may get a little tricky when trying to explain what happened to Rover when the car hit him, or why Grandma 'disappeared', or why the goldfish is floating upside down in the tank and smells funny.

Why not teach children about death? There are very few kids who walk around with the fear of dying in their heads all day long.

Death is a natural part of life.

What you teach them about what happen's after death is your choice, just as long as they understand that no one really knows.....
edit on 11/1/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Children have a natural ability to question things when it is the right time for them. When they see a bug or a pet or bird die they are exposed to the concept of life coming to an end. When they are ready to ask questions, iow, when they reach the stage of maturation where they are ready for the answers, they will ask the questions.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Newborn to Three Years
Child's Perception: Infant/Toddler can sense when there is excitement, sadness, anxiety in the home; can sense when a significant person is missing, presence of new people

No understanding of death
Absorbs emotions of others around her/him
May show signs of irritability
May exhibit changes in eating, nursing patterns, crying, and in bowel and bladder movements
Depends on nonverbal communications; physical care, affection, reassurances

www.hospicenet.org...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave

Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Children don't know death. All they do is living. Does anything they do has death as outcome? I don't think we need to fear death. Death is nothing to fear. There's no death without God.

Does it sound like I believe?

Fear teaches.

All this nonsense to come to the conclusion that fear teaches.

What did I miss out on in my life? There is only one thing you can come short in life and that's love.

Did I miss anything? Love is a lot. Love.. love death. Life's so much more with love.

Most children learn about death, either through the death of a pet, a school pet, or a friend's pet. I was never traumatized by the death of my pets, but then again the death of my pets came after the death of my dad so they wouldnt. Thing is though, the way my mother explained death didnt make me scared or anything. I probably would not tell my children this, but when my dad died she broke the news by saying "god called him home." Which was somewhat of a comfort to me because I thought heaven was in the sky as a child. So I did silly things like send him balloons...lol. My best friend took it hard when his pet rabbit died tho, it took him years to get over it.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Before we teach kids what death means, the parents and so called adults should try to understand what it means. Most people in the western society think death is the end of everything and they only have one life. But is that true? What happens after somebody dies? Is there a heaven, a hell or just another life, because we will be reborn. Understanding these things gives death itself another meaning. I believe in reincarnation and therefore I am not afraid to die, but people that believe there is only one life seem to rush through their life, because they want to have as much action as possible and in the end that leads to a lot of misunderstandings regarding their own existence. As it was said before, kids will be confronted with death anyways (pets, friends, family, media) and therefore we should not teach, but help everybody (kids and "adults") to understand what is happening, so nobody is afraid anymore and can handle the subject more relaxed.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
They are called innocent for a reason.

That is until Religion starts their brainwashing program in Kindergarden and Schools, teaching children of "god", "jesus" other filthy lies and "heaven" and "hell", possibly scaring them to death with the thoughts of "if you don't follow 10 outdated rules, you end up in hell. if you do anything "bad", you end up in hell and if you make God angry and baby jesus cry you end up in hell and will burn for all eternity, while being poked in the side by demons and the devil".
Because that's so much better, than parents teaching their kids about how precious life is, because one day you will die. To teach them to not blindly run across a street because they could die....there are enough reasons to teach children about death and what it means (and that there isn't a heaven, hell or 'afterlife')

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
In my opinion let the lesson comes as it comes.
Each person has their own path to take from their first step to their last.
Some children will learn sooner, and some later - as life dictates.

Oh, and I'd not suggest getting goldfish, letting the child get attached to it then killing it to 'teach the child a lesson'. That was suggested in the forums a few months back and as you can imagine that didn't go over too well.

peace

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
he he eh so what is that you believe you know ?
i am interested in your conclusions
teach me ol wise one, yes i was and it was needed
?yes i am all, and nothing, at once am i eternal ?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
When they are old enough to step on a bug to see what happens, they will ask those sticky questions. Then answer them, not before they are asked. Kids are a lot more intuitive than we give them credit for. To my dread, my brother is raising his son by making him attend church every Sunday and has enrolled him in a Christian School. The worst kind of indoctrination we here in the west proclaim is to "train" our children, bring them up in the "ways of God". There ain't nothin I can do about it, just hope he isn't to damaged and comes out the other side with his innate intuition still intact. My fear is that this sort of upbringing destroys a child's natural questioning by programming him to "believe" without question from an early age. I'll be long gone by the time he wakes up from that paradigm. I love him so much too... so sad.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

We need to damage them now so we can continue the faith and restock the dwindling supplys of infant forskin.

WOW. That hit me like foreskin sammich.. You are right in a darkest humor kind of way. What the hell do we do that for anyway? First thing: cut the baby where it hurts most huh? Never did understand that shi*t.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Haha, we need to teach children life before they die. Esus, life doesn't really get a meaning here as I'm thinking.

What is everlasting? uh???

Life isn't the opposite of death. Existence is the opposite of death. Death doesn't exist. As far as I look within myself I cannot find death. Can you grasp what death is while alive? Can there be a time when you are done living and death just is the next step? Like it being then that you didn't die prematurely.

Sooooooo
...... I suppose it might be better to just move on with today..

Death is not of this world.
edit on 2012/1/11 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
i taught my son about death this year his lizard died i told him when we die we are reborn into a new body and start all over it was very easy this way and he is not worried about it now he did say that he doesnt want a new body he likes this one XD i said well when u get old and ur body wears out u die and get a new one he liked this idea and hasnt had a problem with it since

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Of course we must teach children about death.

My Dad once told me when I was young that, "We are all born to die, it's the journey in between that matters."

My Mother died when I was eight months old. My brother died before I was born.

My Dads side of the family were farmers, which is a very dangerous occupation. Plus he was a Career Military officer during Vietnam. We were always attending funerals.

Numerous clasmates died in High School...mainly from drinking and driving.

At our 30th Class reunion, out of 137 graduating, it is estimated that only 87 of us still walk this earth. We were wild then
, and from what I saw, we're still a bit on the wild side.

Death...is a part of life. But only a the possibly final part. We must teach kids to live with no blinders on.
edit on 11-1-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I learned at a very young age that death was a reality that was inevitable. I had very close family members die before I was 10. And one of my best buds commited suicide when I was 12. I think death is nothing that should be feared. It's just an other part of life. I talk with my kids about everything. If they ask, I will answer to the best of my abilitites. We have talked about death many times. I believe it will make it easier for them to cope with the death of a loved one if they have thought bout the fact that it can happen to any one at any time. And I don't think death has anything to do with love or god what so ever.
edit on 11-1-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

My kids learned about it firsthand when our dog died. They were 4 and 3 years old. They hugged and kissed on him, and then helped me bury him. A few months later one of my uncles died. They got to meet him once a few days before he died. Currently, my best friend is battling cancer, and at the moment his outlook is bleak. He is 30 years old, an ex-football player, and a superhero to the kids. They are now 5 and 4 years old, and they understand it better, and they are remarkably mature when talking to him, or about him.

In my opinion, I'm just one parent, but in my opinion, kids deserve honesty at all times. I'll try to put things in terms and perspectives they can understand, but I will never shield them from the truth.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Do we need to teach children about death? Yes, in my opinion.

Is there Life without Death? Death is Life, and Life is Death.

If we want to teach our children about Life, it is unwise and foolish to ignore and hide Death. There is nothing more natural associated with life than death. It is the duality we are bound by in this physical existence. The only thing guaranteed with life is death. So why pretend it does not exist? Sheltering little ones from the concept of death only sets them up for increased confusion, pain, and regret when faced with death. Death is not 'unexpected' if we KNOW that it will one day happen.

Many adults still hide from and ignore death themselves! Why? Because they never truly understand it nor accept that it is inevitable. People live in a fantasy land pretending death isn't real.

We can teach, show, and expose children to violent cartoons, video games, and movies.... yet the subject of Death is taboo?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join