It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran : Army plans to test advanced military equipment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Iran : Army plans to test advanced military equipment

tehrantimes.com

TEHRAN – Army Commander Ahmadreza Pourdastan said on Tuesday that the Army plans to test its new advanced military equipment during the war games, which will be staged in eastern Iran in the near future.

He said that the purpose of the maneuvers is to enhance armed forces’ military preparedness and the country’s deterrence capability.

He also said that Army’s ground troops will practice the tactics of asymmetric warfare during the war game
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
First off, if you do nothing else, please hit the link and take a look at this guy...

So, what will this new round of Iranian war games produce?
Also, what's " asymmetric warfare "?

I do realize that this posted news report is from an Iranian newspaper but I think it safe to say that they do have something planned.

tehrantimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
War games. War GAMES?!!

What is this the friggen Olympics?!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

its just a response to Israel closing down its nuclear weapons factory and preparing for the worst.all off them are just sabre rattling.but it seems more like iran just keeps trying to prevent stuff from dying down.every day for the last month they have made the head lines.must be proud they are in the world spot light or something.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Assymetric warfare is basically the opposite of warfare we have fought in the past. There are no definite battlelines drawn such as what you would have seen in WW1 and WW2. It is what had occurred in Iraq and most notably, Afghanistan, where pockets of Taliban would be in unknown locations rather than defined locations.

From Wikipedia:
"Asymmetric warfare is war between belligerents whose relative military power differs significantly, or whose strategy or tactics differ significantly.
"Asymmetric warfare" can describe a conflict in which the resources of two belligerents differ in essence and in the struggle, interact and attempt to exploit each other's characteristic weaknesses. Such struggles often involve strategies and tactics of unconventional warfare, the "weaker" combatants attempting to use strategy to offset deficiencies in quantity or quality.[1] Such strategies may not necessarily be militarized.[2] This is in contrast to symmetric warfare, where two powers have similar military power and resources and rely on tactics that are similar overall, differing only in details and execution.
The term is frequently used to describe what is also called "guerrilla warfare", "insurgency", "terrorism", "counterinsurgency", and "counterterrorism", essentially violent conflict between a formal military and an informal, poorly-equipped, but elusive opponent"

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Unconventional warfare. It's the type of warfare we see in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hit and run ambushes, IEDs, suicide bombings etc.
edit on 10-1-2012 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Asymmetric warfare is when you do not "play the game" by the other guys rules - the simplest example is guerilla warfare.

The US, for example, has massive technologically advanced conventional military - so if they invade Iran one concept for "asymmetric warfare" would be for the Iranian army so simply "dissolve" back into the population, hiding caches of weapons in cities & anywhere else it can, and conduct guerrilla warfare.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Asymmetrical warfare...

Either they are worried about an uprising, or
they anticipate being bombed back into 2003 Iraq

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Photoshop 2012??

Can't wait to see it!!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

Thanks for the lulz!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Any guess as to what these advance weapons might be?

I would have to guess that it was some type of rapid /mobile missile system

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
ahhhh tensions rising :runs around all crazy:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
"Advanced military equipment"

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

lmao
2nd line
edit on 10-1-2012 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

if iran has not firmed and well practiced its asymmetric warfare plans as of yet, then they are going to have some tough going. i doubt that because iranians are much more disciplined and devoted types.

all this military exercise is just noise to get the attention of the US that attackers can be in for some tough crap and heavy losses. true or not true, only real events will tell. although i sincerely hope for peace and calm.

good that russian ships left. commend them on that gesture!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by apodictic

I'm not going to add anything worthwhile to this conversation.
I just want to say I LOL'D.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

One of the things that people forget is that the US and many other Countries practice asymmetric warfare as well as conventional warfare and effectively meld the two together.

Oft times, the conventional forces are the bait in order to get the Guerrilla forces to show their hand. At which point, they are taken out.

That is a sad, but true fact.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SupersonicSerpent
reply to post by Max_TO

its just a response to Israel closing down its nuclear weapons factory and preparing for the worst.all off them are just sabre rattling.but it seems more like iran just keeps trying to prevent stuff from dying down.every day for the last month they have made the head lines.must be proud they are in the world spot light or something.

Really? You're claiming that Iran is to blame for being in the world media every day?

Because to me, it seems like the "world media" is fixated on fearmongering stories about Iran, and will take any casual comment said by an Iranian official and spin it into some unofficial threat against viewers who watch the propaganda.

I remember during the holidays flipping through cable TV at my parent's place only to see 5/30 channels reporting that Iran has just tested a new missile and why we should fear it. It took me quite a long time of painfully watching the propaganda to actually learn some real details, and instead of the missile being a nuclear ICBM that the media was trying to make it seem to be, it turns out that Iran simply tested out a new SAM and a new cruise missile.

So please explain to me how it is Iran's fault that the "world media" has drilled the report of nefarious Iranian missiles into our heads, when on their end all they were doing was testing a new weapon that they are planning to deploy? It seems kind of logical that Iran would test out their weapons instead of, you know, simply deploying them without any experience using them.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Your implying that they are going to use it attached to a missile, that is possible but I would think Bill Clinton has a good point in this excerpt from an interview.

www.youtube.com...

<<   2 >>

join