It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cruel and violent new testament

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Seed76

Originally posted by Seed76
Where does it say gays deserve death ?
Here is a question for you. Have you actually bothered checking the verse which you quote?

It says it in the part that I referenced, and the part sHuRuLuNi quoted and highlighted and also the part that you quoted, yours is a different version but its still in there..

...men did likewise. They abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their
lust toward one another, men doing what is inappropriate with men...

...without natural affection, unforgiving, and unmerciful. 32Knowing the ordinance of God, (that those
who practice such things are worthy of death
), they not only do these [very] things but also approve of those who practice them...

Have you actually bothered checking the verse which you quote?

Yes, but clearly you did not.

In the old testament we have Leviticus 20:13 KJV,

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them."

"Their blood shall be upon them"? really? That's horrible, they could at least kill them humanly. I can't believe they are even aloud to read this book to children.

As was my point in the OP, I do not think the new testament is all loving like some would have you believe but rather its just a bad as the old testament.

edit on 10-1-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

It says it in the part that I referenced, and the part sHuRuLuNi quoted and highlighted and also the part that you quoted, yours is a different version but its still in there..

Actually, the part that you referenced was Romans 1:31-32, which does not speak of "gays deserving death". The part which you quoted, is a sub-part. Here is the context of it.

18However,
the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all the ungodliness and
unrighteousness of those who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
19because what is known of God is revealed in them, for God revealed it to
them. 20For since the creation of the world, his invisible things are clearly
seen. They are perceived through created things, even his everlasting
power and divinity. This is so that they may be without excuse, 21because
knowing God, they did not glorify him as God or give [him] thanks.
Instead, they became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was
darkened.
22Thinking themselves to be wise, they became fools! 23They exchanged the
glory of the incorruptible God for the likeness of an image of corruptible
man, of birds, of four-footed animals, and creeping things.d 24Therefore,
God also gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their
bodies should be dishonored among themselves. 25Having exchanged the
truth of God for a lie, they exaltede and offered divine servicef to the
creature rather than the Creator who is blessed forever. Amen.
26For this reason, God gave them up to vile passions: their women changed
the natural function into what is against nature 27and the men did likewise.
They abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their
lust toward one another, men doing what is inappropriate with men, and
receiving in themselves the due penalty of their error. 28Even as they
refused to have God in their knowledge, God gave them up to a worthlessg
mind, to do those things which are not fitting. 29They have become filled
with all [kinds of] unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness,
covetousness, and malice. They are also full of envy, murder, strife, deceit,
and evil habits. [They are] secret slanderers, 30backbiters, hateful of God,
insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection,
unforgiving, and unmerciful. 32Knowing the ordinance of God, (that those
who practice such things are worthy of death), they not only do these
[very] things but also approve of those who practice them.

The highlighted part is what you have quoted. Either you quote the whole thing or not.

Yes, but clearly you did not.

Just say you have quoted the wrong part. Everyone can make mistakes. Nevertheless i have corrected you and in return i have provided the whole text in order to understand what it actually says. It´s really not that hard.

In the old testament we have Leviticus 20:13 KJV,

Here we go again with Leviticus. Seriously?? That subject have been discussed to death here. And usually those discussions ending with insulting and hate-speech. Is that what you trying to do? or do you really seek to understand what Leviticus is all about? Also, do you really understand The book of Leviticus? And if you do, then maybe you want to enlighten me, because i can not fully understand it.

For detailed contents see:
*Vayikra, on Leviticus 1-5: Laws of the sacrifices
*Tzav, on Leviticus 6-8: Sacrifices, ordination of the priests
*Shemini, on Leviticus 9-11: Tabernacle consecrated, alien fire, dietary laws
*Tazria, on Leviticus 12-13: Childbirth, skin disease, clothing
*Metzora, on Leviticus 14-15: Skin disease, infected houses, genital discharges
*Acharei, on Leviticus 16-18: Yom Kippur, centralized offerings, sexual practices
*Kedoshim, on Leviticus 19-20: Holiness, penalties for transgressions
*Emor, on Leviticus 21-24: Rules for priests, holy days, lights and bread, a blasphemer
*Behar, on Leviticus 25-25: Sabbatical year, debt servitude limited
*Bechukotai, on Leviticus 26-27: Blessings and curses, payment of vows

The Book of Leviticus
But before you keep quoting from OT, please keep in mind the cultural background of those ancient societies, and the influence of slavery and eye to eye mentality which was common practice back then. You know things like the The Code of Hammurabi.
Also please do some research as to what the Books speaking about. Do some research about the authors, historical background. Go to the original sources Hebrew and Greek. There are tones of info in the internet.
So the question remains: Are you trying to make fun of Christians or not?
Peace

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Seed76

Actually, the part that you referenced was Romans 1:31-32, which does not speak of "gays deserving death". The part which you quoted, is a sub-part. Here is the context of it.

Wrong.

The original bible, the KJV(which is what the Op is about) do not have those brackets like that new international one your quoting does.

Here is the KJV,

31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

There weren't brackets in the original or the KJV, that was a later addition. It is not a "sub part", rather it is part of the text.

Also please do some research as to what the Books speaking about

Now you getting hypocritical.

I'm sorry if I offended you but this is just the facts.

edit on 11-1-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

There weren't brackets in the original or the KJV, that was a later addition. It is not a "sub part", rather it is part of the text.

Of course, there weren´t brackets, neither commas or any kind of punctuation and certainly wasn´t in English.Yes, it´s part of the text, and thank you for correcting me. But, that does not change the fact that you taking things out of context. In fact show me in the part of the text which you quoted(Romans 1:31-32), where does is say "That gays deserve death".? Here is the portion of text, which is in question.

26For this reason, God gave them up to vile passions: their women changed
the natural function into what is against nature 27and the men did likewise.
They abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their
lust toward one another, men doing what is inappropriate with men, and
receiving in themselves the due penalty of their error.

It´s not Romans 1:31-32. See the difference?. And certainly does not says "Gays deserve death". That´s why i quoted the proper context on my previous post. If you actually read it then you would have understand that Paul was written to a specific audience at a specific time. And certainly his concern wasn´t "gays".

Now you getting hypocritical.

Am i hypocritical by correcting you? Am i hypocritical because i am quoting the full text and try to explain that you cannot just simply stating half-truths, in order to support whatever agenda you are following.? Seriously, if you do not believe in "Fairy-Tales", then do not bother with "Fairy-Tales".
And do not worry polarwarrior, you have not offended me. We are just discussing. But please answer the question which i asked you before : "Are you trying to make fun of Christians with your op or not? If your answer is "yes", then the discussion ends here. If not, i am sure there are some good scholarly sources available, to answer your questions.

Peace

top topics

<< 1   >>

join