It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Come to the Well, take a drink of the Living Water.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I've read many a thread against Christianity or Christ or The Bible for that matter and it's disheartening that so many do not understand the simplicity of Christianity for it is not a Religion it is a Reality.

We get tied up in Scripture battles, The Old Testament says, New Testament says. What does Jesus say? God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are all that matters. Jesus came that you might have Life and Have it more Abundantly, Amen.

I can quote scripture but I'd prefer to just write it out, but this one I like the most, Jesus says "Love one another, just as I have loved you."

I fully expect posters to come who'll say Jesus never existed, well, to me He does and many others. I'm glad he does, has and ever will be. We are not perfect, none of us, ever Jesus himself says he is not perfect, only God is perfect. Just know that you are loved and try to love and respect in return. "What you have done unto another you have done unto me." Meaning, if you do good to another human being or any being for that matter, you have done Christianly work or what God wishes you to do. That is what matters.

I found these videos to put Christianity into better perspective. People don't feel good enough to go to church or good enough for God, because others judge them based on many things "worldly possessions" which they have. Not at all what Jesus would have us do. These are great videos and I hope you will give a watch.

The Stranger Series: Woman at the Well.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

Its a shame more Christians don't think like you...

People don't feel good enough to go to church or good enough for God, because others judge them based on many things "worldly possessions" which they have.

Unfortunatly they also judge people on spiritual things... because others disagree with their beliefs...

Only God knows what is in ones heart... He is the path...

edit on 7-1-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
For me, being a Christian is about living life as christ-like as I can. I'm not perfect by not means, but I try to limit my own sins. I understand that salvation is a gift which must be accepted; it can not be forced or shamed upon you. It is a free gift which one must be open to receive.
I think the problem occurs when people see poor examples of Christianity. For example, TV Evangelists come to mind by many. What one must understand is, these TV preachers are sinners as well. Many stray from the Word. It is the Word which a person becomes a better Christian. Reading, learning, questioning, and seeking answers is how one grows in faith. Well, anyway thats my 2 cents.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Its a shame more Christians don't think like you...

People don't feel good enough to go to church or good enough for God, because others judge them based on many things "worldly possessions" which they have.

Unfortunatly they also judge people on spiritual things... because others disagree with their beliefs...

Only God knows what is in ones heart... He is the path...

They do judge people on spiritual things, you're right. The Book of James comes to mind, only 3-4 pages, talks about the tongue being the most dangerous thing to control. Be love as much as possible, we are not perfect and the Good Lord loves us because we are not.

What is in one's heart only God should know. We can have a relationship with him anytime, anywhere. He answers Knee Mail. Thanks.
edit on 7-1-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siberbat
For me, being a Christian is about living life as christ-like as I can. I'm not perfect by not means, but I try to limit my own sins. I understand that salvation is a gift which must be accepted; it can not be forced or shamed upon you. It is a free gift which one must be open to receive.
I think the problem occurs when people see poor examples of Christianity. For example, TV Evangelists come to mind by many. What one must understand is, these TV preachers are sinners as well. Many stray from the Word. It is the Word which a person becomes a better Christian. Reading, learning, questioning, and seeking answers is how one grows in faith. Well, anyway thats my 2 cents.

Christianity should not be forced or shamed on anyone especially children. Reading, learning, questioning, and seeking answers is right. And the more you seek the more questions you come up with and God provides an answer eventually, we should all try to teach by example in what we do and say and behave, then others who witness these things will see what it truly is and should be.

Your 2 cents was beyond good enough.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaphneApollo
We are not perfect, none of us, ever Jesus himself says he is not perfect, only God is perfect.

But I thought Jesus IS God ...?

He isn't? Or is he?

Silly me ... expecting clarity where there is none.
edit on 7/1/2012 by sHuRuLuNi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sHuRuLuNi

We are not perfect, none of us, ever Jesus himself says he is not perfect, only God is perfect.

He isn't? Or is he?

He never made that claim... Christians make it for him

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

He isn't? Or is he?

He is part of the Holy Trinity : The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. He's an important part of God. Emmanuel, God With Us. "Let Us make man in OUR IMAGE" Jesus has always been with God from the very beginning.

WWJD / What would Jesus Do : He would do it all over again for you and all of us. What a gift he's given to us.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

He isn't? Or is he?

He is part of the Holy Trinity : The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. He's an important part of God. Emmanuel, God With Us. "Let Us make man in OUR IMAGE" Jesus has always been with God from the very beginning.

WWJD / What would Jesus Do : He would do it all over again for you and all of us. What a gift he's given to us.

You just wrote in your OP that "even Jesus himself is not perfect. Only God is perfect."

So WHICH IS IT NOW????????????????

Is he God or not. A moment you say no, now you say yes ....

Dear God ....

As I said: Expecting clarity where there is none.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sHuRuLuNi

I will let you believe what you want, but I will not argue about it. I have said all that I know how to explain it.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I was raised in one of those holy roller, speaking in tongues, penticostal churches. I'm glad to be disassociated with them and all Christain dogma, now that I'm an adult and can think for myself.

That being said, I was NEVER taught that Jesus is GOD. I was taught that we pray to Jesus so that Jesus can tell GOD about us. He is the priest, so to speak, taking our confessions.

It's crazy that even Christains can't agree. Some say that Jesus and God are one in the same, some say that we all are "sons of GOD," some say there is a hell waiting for sinners and some say that Jesus, by his death sealed the deal of all of mankind and some say we have to ask for our salvation.

Personally, it seems to me that id Jesus went through the trouble of dying for us, it should be a done deal, whether we beleive it or not. Anything else would be to doubt his strength. I don't believe in the Christain dogma, but when confronted by Christains who ask "What if you're wrong?" I happily tell them if he died for our sins then he forgives my sin of disbelief and I am saved.

To the OP, the videos were like a Christain track being acted out in a play. I certainly would have walked 5 miles just to get away from that nosey, prying guy! I don't go to church because I can't stand the message or the people!
edit on 7-1-2012 by windword because: deal not seal

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

John 10:30-31
I and my Father are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

Colossians 1:16
For by him [Jesus] were all things created.

1 Timothy 3:16
God was made manifest in the flesh.

Seems like Jesus was God to me....

Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

John 14:28
My Father is greater than I.

Silly me, I must have been mistaken.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

People don't feel good enough to go to church . . .

One of the last times I went to church, the pastor was talking on the subject of spreading the meassage or something of that sort of topic of recruiting new members or something.
To illustrate the concept, he told this story of how some of the members who own motorcycles got to going out on little weekend outings as a group on their bikes, and they were stopped at a gas station to fuel up when he saw a nice good looking couple on a bike and asked them if they wanted to come along. In the story, he repeated this idea of how they looked like the sort of people he wanted to hang out with, being attractive.
I thought to myself while listening to this sermon, "What, the church has a motorcycle club and never told me about it though they all know I have a motorcycle since I drive it to church!"
Well I told my family members about this and why, if they were to wonder, they did not see me attending services in the future.

edit on 7-1-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by novastrike81

I agree... but thats alright we're only human

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

What? Agree to disagree. At least explain yourself instead of throwing out subtle ad hominems.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by novastrike81

What? Agree to disagree. At least explain yourself instead of throwing out subtle ad hominems.

(ad hominem) appealing to personal considerations (rather than to fact or reason);

It is a "fact" that Jesus never once claimed to be God...

Christians make that claim... he did not.

And your scripture quotes don't back any "facts" relating to him being God...

Im sure the quote from Thomas is comming next...

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

You are actually very close to the meaning of Christ, just missing on understanding. Evaluate this excerpt from CS Lewis (who was BTW an atheist for most of his life.)

C. S. Lewis, in his book Mere Christianity, puts all these claims in the right perspective when he reminds his readers that Jesus was a Jew among Jews:

"Among these Jews there suddenly turns up a man who goes about talking as if He was God. He claims to forgive sins. He says He has always existed. He says He is coming to judge the world at the end of time. Now let us get this clear. Among pantheists, like the Indians, anyone might say that he was a part of God, or one with God: there would be nothing very odd about it. But this man, since He was a Jew, could not mean that kind of God. God, in their language, meant the Being outside the world who had made it and was infinitely different from anything else. And when you have grasped that, you will see that what this man said was, quite simply, the most shocking thing that has ever been uttered by human lips."

The question is, can we accept as true what Jesus [God the Son], claimed? The most conclusive evidence establishing the deity of Christ is the historically verifiable resurrection. The apostle Paul wrote that Jesus "was declared with power to be the Son of God by the resurrection from the dead." (Romans 1:4) If the resurrection of Christ is true, then it is possible and, indeed, logical to believe all His claims and miracles including His assertion of the complete validity of the Old Testament. They would be what one would expect from God.

If you have more questions about the deity of Christ, there are plenty of sources to read on the net. Make sure to study the bible and search, as well as, research. Best of luck in you quest of knowledge.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The best proof that Jesus is God is his resurection. If he did not resurect after the torture, being executed to the satisfaction of the romans, and emerge from a tomb protected by professional roman soldiers than not only is every Christian in history is a fool, I am as well. It is as simple as that. He either did rise and is God, or he didn't The rest of the argument is the finer points on what various branches of Christianity hold as church protocals.

edit on 7-1-2012 by Siberbat because: sp

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

People don't feel good enough to go to church . . .

One of the last times I went to church, the pastor was talking on the subject of spreading the meassage or something of that sort of topic of recruiting new members or something.
To illustrate the concept, he told this story of how some of the members who own motorcycles got to going out on little weekend outings as a group on their bikes, and they were stopped at a gas station to fuel up when he saw a nice good looking couple on a bike and asked them if they wanted to come along. In the story, he repeated this idea of how they looked like the sort of people he wanted to hang out with, being attractive.
I thought to myself while listening to this sermon, "What, the church has a motorcycle club and never told me about it though they all know I have a motorcycle since I drive it to church!"
Well I told my family members about this and why, if they were to wonder, they did not see me attending services in the future.

edit on 7-1-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

I know what you're talking about because of things like this I also do not go to Church. We had a Pastor visit our family back in the 80's who had a pregnant wife at the time talking about our neighbor jogging around the neighborhood and what great set of (you know) she had. Disgusting! To say we never attended that church is an understatement. Besides this they don't teach anything when you go, but talk about others. The tongue is the hardest thing to control and does much damage. I agree completely with you.

And indeed, the churches are supposed to be there for the sick, needy and spiritual needs of us all, not for people who have no need and have it all figured out, they are saved without blemish and judge you. Wrong. Their work has only begun. Christ would not approve of these behaviors I'm afraid.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siberbat
The best proof that Jesus is God is his resurection. If he did not resurect after the torture, being executed to the satisfaction of the romans, and emerge from a tomb protected by professional roman soldiers than not only is every Christian in history is a fool, I am as well. It is as simple as that. He either did rise and is God, or he didn't The rest of the argument is the finer points on what various branches of Christianity hold as church protocals.

edit on 7-1-2012 by Siberbat because: sp

Not every "christian" believes Jesus was God my friend...

And even they are not fools... All still recognise he was a good man and set a worthy example

they just misunderstand...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join