It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MOAB damage radius.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
E_T

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Now I found something about MOAB.

BOMB RADIUS DAMAGE

* Up to 1,000 yards: Obliterates everything.

* Up to 1 mile: Knocks people, tents, light buildings, cars and jeeps over within 1-mile radius.

* Up to 1.7 miles: shock wave kills people, causes severe damage to buildings, equipment, blows trucks, tanks off road.

* Up to 2 miles: causes deafness.

* Up to 5 miles: shakes ground, breaks windows.

* Up to 30 miles: 10,000 foot high mushroom cloud visible.

[Source The Lexington Institute and Globalsecurity.org]

www.globalsecurity.org...

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
yeah thats the way to do it!
no more radioactive fallout as a result of world domination. woohoo!

but seriously do we even have any enemies the size of 10 football fields? i guess only time will tell the next world war seems just around the corner, god forbid we actually have to use this thing.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
One or two dropped of Falujah or Najaf would men no more terrorists; let me rephrase that no more anything.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
As I believe, was it not already used in eiother Afganistan or Iraq already?

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Wow, impresive. I thought it has deadly radius only up to 500 yards. This is really powerfull weapon.

but seriously do we even have any enemies the size of 10 football fields? i guess only time will tell the next world war seems just around the corner, god forbid we actually have to use this thing.

I think it could be ideal weapon for North Korea mountains. More than one milion comunist soldiers on short border. No more "attack the hill!" Now it's "blow the hill away!".

Question : could be MOAB or Daisy Cutter dropped from bombers?(b-52,b1,b2). Or only from cargo planes?

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solarity

actually no. We used it in Iraq as psycholgical warfare. We told saddams army to look at a certain place at a certain time and we dropped it in the middle of the desert. We like payin with ppls mind

E_T

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Question : could be MOAB or Daisy Cutter dropped from bombers?(b-52,b1,b2). Or only from cargo planes?

They're both dropped from Hercs.
Maybe BUFF or Lancer could be modified to carry these externally but it would be unpractical.

I think that "normal" 2000 lb BLU-96 FAE-II would be more practical, you could drop those from normal fighters and bombers and despite of small size total power of blast should be still equal to at least three tons of "conventional" explosive.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver

Originally posted by Solarity

actually no. We used it in Iraq as psycholgical warfare. We told saddams army to look at a certain place at a certain time and we dropped it in the middle of the desert. We like payin with ppls mind

Actually, no, the MOAB was not dropped in Iraq. It has not been dropped in combat yet. However the 7 ton BLU-82, or Daisey cutter, has been used, as it has the same effect as the MOAB on a smaller scale.

To date, the largest ordinance to be dropped in combat is the 10 ton Grand Slam, designed in Britain by Sir Barnes Wallis, and used in WWII.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
If where talking about big bombs how about the biggest the 43600lb t-12.

Modeled somewhat on the Tallboy and Grand Slam bombs, design work began in 1942 on what would become the enormous T-12 general purpose bomb. Though designed to weigh approximately 42,000 lb, the practicalities of manufacturing drove the weight to 43,600 lb, 41% (17,600 lb) of which was high explosives. The resulting bomb was nearly twice the size and weight of the Grand Slam. The bomb was 200 inches long, 54 inches in diameter and assembled from six sections of steel welded together. At a total length (with tail assembly) of 322 inches, the T-12 was not merely a scaled up Tallboy or Grand Slam. Several improvements were made by the Ordnance Corps. engineers at the U.S. Army's Aberdeen Proving Ground to correct features that had been copied by war time expediency directly from the Tallboy. By the end of the war, the T-12 had emerged as a purely American bomb design.

members.aol.com...,%20GP,%2042,000-lb,%20T-12

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Affirmative Reaction

To date, the largest ordinance to be dropped in combat is the 10 ton Grand Slam, designed in Britain by Sir Barnes Wallis, and used in WWII.

But there is big difference between WWII 10t bomb and current 10t bomb. Todays explosives are much more effective.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
If where talking about big bombs how about the biggest the 43600lb t-12.

The point is, the T-12 was never used n combat. The Grand Slam was used against Germany.

The BLU-82 is not a high tech weapon. It is basically a fertilizer bomb, made of a GSX slurry (ammonium nitrate, aluminum powder, and polystyrene). It has no guidance, and is simply dropped "high velocity" style from a C-130 using a 15 foot ring-slot parachute to stabilize the ordinance nose down. Detonation occurs when the probe on the nose of the bomb makes contact.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I never said it the T-12 was used in combat. BLU-82 was designed to clear a landing spot for helicopters in Vietnam, it was never dropped in anger until Afghanistan.

The Grand Slam was designed to utilize the earthquake effect to undermine structures rather than obliterating them. Some GS's had time delay fuzes up to half a day.

The US. produced the most reliable GS casings for the British, I think they forged about a hundred of them as the Brits were having trouble. I've got this great book describing the development of the Tallboy and GS, it includes details of all the missions these weapons were used. Some of the damgae is quite interesting as near misses seem to cause considerably more damage than direct hits.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Nice good for taking out entire villages or small towns and good for making helicopters landing zones in a dense forest or jungle. Also good fro killing large numbers of concentrated troops.

E_T

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Some of the damgae is quite interesting as near misses seem to cause considerably more damage than direct hits.
Propably has something to do with reflecting/proceeding of shockwave.

Just like how exploding nuclear weapon above ground can amplify power of shockwave couple times as strong compared to surface explosion.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

Some of the damgae is quite interesting as near misses seem to cause considerably more damage than direct hits.
Propably has something to do with reflecting/proceeding of shockwave.

Just like how exploding nuclear weapon above ground can amplify power of shockwave couple times as strong compared to surface explosion.

The GS wasn't known as the earthquake bomb for nothing. It was specifically designed to burrow deep into the ground to contain the explosive force and send shockwaves under a structures foundations.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Here's a link some other ATS big-bomb discussion started a while back on the topics of MOP, Massive Ordnance Penetrator for Buried Targets & US tests massive bomb. They have some good information that goes along with this discussion. Several threads & articles indicated the MOAB does have GPS guidance.

On the web, I found a couple of sources that say the MOAB was sent to Iraq, but not where or how it was used. They all parrot about the some thing. Here's an example.
www.militarycity.com...

Bear with me. Those of you who know me know that I am as constant as the Northern Star. Whenever discussions of large conventional explosives come up I have to post my silly pictures taken at the Aberdeen Proving Ground's Ordinance Museum. Their showcase bomb is just impressive.

*the 43,600lb'er and The US Army Ordnance Museum

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Nice pictures of the T-12 Spectre, very impressive.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Wow, impresive. I thought it has deadly radius only up to 500 yards. This is really powerfull weapon.

I think it could be ideal weapon for North Korea mountains. More than one milion comunist soldiers on short border. No more "attack the hill!" Now it's "blow the hill away!".

exactly what i was thinking.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
the big difference between the MOAB and the Daisy Cutter beside the size is that MOAB is guided by GPS so it will hit right on the money.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Next time one of our enemies thinks building a tunnel in a mountain will help them, guess again they better think of bunker busters and a couple of MOAB�s dropping over their head. That much fire power can shape the terrain form mountains to flat.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join