It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China opposes 'unilateral' US sanctions on Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
China isn't too happy with the current round of sanctions on Iran. Of course the US response to put further pressure on all parties...

Article from China opposes sanctions on Iran.

China said Wednesday it opposed "unilateral" sanctions against Iran, after US President Barack Obama signed into law new measures targeting the Islamic republic's central bank.

"China opposes placing one's domestic law above international law and imposing unilateral sanctions against other countries,"

Under the measures, foreign firms will have to choose between doing business with the Islamic republic or the economically mighty United States.

When push comes to shove, how do you guys think China will respond to US actions? They seem intent on continuing business with Iran, which technically means they cannot do business with us...will we enforce the sanctions against one of our biggest trading partners?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
They will give China a waiver or down play any business China does with Iran. I don't see US boycotting products made in China over this.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I think this is the US testing China, Iran and Russia to put their money where their mouth is. Their going to make little moves and provoke Iran to hit first. Iran will most likely strike Israel and the US will use it as an excuse for an all out war. China cant afford to lose the united states.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
the united states is going in the wrong direction honestly makes me wonder what idiotic power hungry bastards run this country what ever though when foreign troops are busting down u.s citizen doors all those pro war and Islamic hating fat bastards will be begging on their knees not to be killed

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
God Damm*t, I just lost my whole post while searching for information. *sigh* Well here I go again.

In my opinion I believe that China will view any potential threat against Iran as a threat against their own personal interest. This would no bode well for the USA and its allies, I feel. I do not believe that China will suffer at all with a loss of economic ties to the USA. This "Mighty Economy" is desperately flailing. And the United States/NATO, cannot invade every country that refuses to step in line.

On an interesting side-note. The top source of crude oil imports for September 2011 to the United states was Canada (2,324 thousand barrels per day). It should also be interesting to note that over the past 2 years, China has invested over 13 Billion dollars into the Alberta Oil Sands which means they own alot of this resource. If the USA loses its economic/trade ties to China then I wonder how that might effect them on that front.

(2,324 thousand barrels a day) - number from November 29th, 2011 Source

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

I'm not sure. The only thing I am sure of is someone is guna post saying 'here we go ladies and gentlemen' which is really annoying as it seems that they want to be the ring announcer in what ever global doom message they are peddling.

At least China are deterring the US from starting an awful war with Iran,. War with Iran would = a lot more deaths than we had in Afgan and Iraq combined, public opinion would completely fall through the floor imo so anything that deters war imo.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

And just why couldnt they? They seem to be doing just that. Trust me, the total force of the US and NATO is FAR superior and plentiful than all other countries together. Plus, if china and russia do get involvef, then, and only then will the US break out the nukes.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The US sanctions are UNLILATERAL. China can do whatever they want. What is this thread about again?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I think China is in a 100% Win/Win situation from their side of things. On one hand, if Iran or the United States start shooting, they can peddle arms to Iran and make money. No one is likely to start a straight fight with China over some back channel arms dealing..and that is how they'll look at it.

If this doesn't go to shooting, even better for China. In that case, sanctions will reduce oil from Iran to Western markets but Saudi has pledged to pick up the slack...so no real price issue. Meanwhile, Iran is suddenly in a glut of sanction oil and China isn't honoring sanctions. What a sudden windfall, huh?

Yup.. China is just laughing hysterically. They win either way, indeed. The worse things get, the better they make out.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Apparently China is not the only customer in that region of Iranian oil. South Korea buys a lot of their oil from Iran and do not want sanctions either.

South Korea will meet with U.S. officials this quarter to lobby for an exemption to U.S. sanctions to enable it to continue buying and paying for Iran's oil, government sources said.

Source

These sanctions on Iran will affect one of our staunchest allies in South Korea too. That makes things a bit more interesting.

Meanwhile China is buying more oil from Vietnam, Russia, and West Africa.

Top Iranian crude buyer China has yet to agree 2012 oil deals and has cut its imports from Iran by more than half for January as the two haggle over terms.

China has bought crude from Russia, Vietnam, West Africa and Iraq to substitute for the 285,000 bpd it has cut from January Iran supplies.

Source

While China is not happy about the situation, they are already making concessions, so it appears Iran is on their own.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The sanctions are UNILATERAL!!!!!! THEY WILL NOT AFFECT ANYONE THAT DOES NOT WANT TO BE AFFECTED BY THEM.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

When push comes to shove, how do you guys think China will respond to US actions? They seem intent on continuing business with Iran, which technically means they cannot do business with us...will we enforce the sanctions against one of our biggest trading partners?

China is not a trading partner, they rip us off with unfair trade practices every year.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Ya sure, but China thinks its ok to take over the south pacific.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

And just why couldnt they? They seem to be doing just that. Trust me, the total force of the US and NATO is FAR superior and plentiful than all other countries together. Plus, if china and russia do get involved, then, and only then will the US break out the nukes.

They couldn't invade every country that opposes them because as things get worse more and more countries are going to start to question the actual reason behind all the invasions that NATO has been involved in and I am pretty sure that once enough of them begin to realize this they will stand together against this common enemy. Of course this is just my opinion. In truth every country is self-centered when it boils down to it so real allies cannot truly exist so this "mighty" NATO could one day become a thing of the past and we will see how the Americans can deal when they have to fight their own wars.

I also don't believe the USA would be stupid enough to break out the nukes on someone who Russia/China is FULLY supporting (If things with Iran lead to that). The US would be wise not to poke the Dragon... Or the Bear (Russia) for that matter.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Youe ignorance is astounding.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

...it's more of the same historically to sell these enemies via the Zionist controlled media to the American public.

As far as Our sanctions are concerned...

China points out that our laws are our own but the rest of the entire world doesn't necessarily have to follow them...it's a simple case of jurisdiction.

We do not rule the entire planet.

"China opposes placing one's domestic law above international law and imposing unilateral sanctions against other countries," said foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei in response to a question about US sanctions on Iran.

Peace

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OWSisdead

I do not want to derail this thread and there are more important things than trying to defend my own opinion to you. But instead of posting a one line response stating that I am ignorant you could take a moment to use your "superior intelligence" and teach me WHY I am so ignorant. It is people like you on ATS that make me want to run away and never return.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

exactly my thoughts, China is even asking for discount for the oil they do import in january. Because they are one of the few importers of Iranian oil.They can ask everything. And unilateral? I believe the whole EU has decided for more sanctions, even Greece, Italy and Spain who also got cheap Iranian oil for their fragile economy.
It seems China is more playing the [global] merchant then some aggresive super power, it will take some decades to match the level of the US army[of these days] and then their first priority will be Taiwan, Sparkly islands etc. Eyes are more on that crazy bear in the north, but he also knows that too much involvement is m.a.d.

edit on 5-1-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mwuhi

We've thought it perfectly acceptable to own the entire Pacific since the 40's. What place do we have in saying China is out of control or seeking what it has no right to attempt when they are doing exactly what WE have been doing for decades? It's our place to provide a check/balance to that and some middle ground to total Chinese control...but we can't very well DO that when Obama and others are gutting our military like it's a silly excess and luxury item.

So.. Like it or don't...when Obama is done turning the U.S. Navy into a tugboat power, China will own the Pacific...as we have for so long. The tide turns and life goes on.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
In the end, the Chinese companies will keep doing business with Iran.

And then we will see if the US government will really enforce those new laws... I doubt it. The laws won't be enforced. Nobody will kick the Chinese companies out of the USA...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join