It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help identifying VAFB launch tonight.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
There was a lovely sunset here in California. Saw a rocket launch from Vandenburg.
Looked cool.
Then I looked it up: www.spacearchive.info...

Nothing scheduled. What was it?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
How sure are you it was a rocket?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I lived on VAFB for about 4-5months.
There are often launches that are not on the public schedule

But w/out some pics or video....impossible to know what you saw....

Public launch announcements can be found on Vandenberg Air Force Base but the schedule is always subject to change....
edit on January 3rd 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Hmmm, one wonders how they alert air traffic when there are unscheduled launches.
Unless it is always a no-fly zone near the launch areas....

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Badgered1

"Scheduled" launches are scheduled. If you saw this, and it was un announced, then... who knows?

I live in SF Bay Area, we see em from here... but not tonight.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I've lived in the 'shadow' of VAFB for over 20 years, it was definitely a rocket (or large missile) of some sort. I've seen plenty. Usually, they go straight up, but this one veered North for a while before rectifying it's course upwards. You could see the rocket itself above the exhaust trail for a long time. The backdrop was the twilight in a clear-ish sky.

The clouds that were up there, and orange from the sunset, almost looked like smoke from a fire near the launch. That was probably just an odd perspective. I was travelling west on the 126 when I saw it, so I couldn't take photographs.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv
Hmmm, one wonders how they alert air traffic when there are unscheduled launches.
Unless it is always a no-fly zone near the launch areas....

Vandenberg is an air force base as well as a NASA facility. I'm pretty sure the airspace near there is quite tightly controlled. I've been out on the pads (as a civilian - for work). The security around the SLCs is pretty tight - plus they are quite remote. The closest airports would be Santa Barbara and Santa Maria, but I'm sure the pilots from these airports are very clued in on routes around the area.

top topics

join