It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are some good real haunting books?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
And ghost stories? I have Hans Holzer stuff and Brad Steigers Real ghosts book.

What are some others that are similar? Im mainly into real incidents and real haunted places that deal with ghosts and shadow people and poltergeist.

Much appreciated

edit on 31-12-2011 by -Blackout- because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

Virginia Woolf wrote the strangest ghost story. I think it was named To the Lighthouse. It's a hard read but makes your mind work for what it gets. Although few see the ghost in the story, I found it a bit alarming, maybe stunning.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I assume you're familiar with this one?

"The Entity"

The movie was what movies are...real loosely based on the real event. The book, however, read like a case study and documentation of an event. Very detailed and really a major case to read about. It was among the few that have produced tangible, real world evidence in front of trained investigators who were there to study it. Whatever she had sure seems to have been real enough.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnificient

Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

However, im looking for a large scope of stories in one book. A collection of incidents basically. But if its a "must read" single story book, i'll check it out for sure.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Is this the book? www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325324630&sr=1-1

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
No.. Different one. here are the links on Amazon:

The Entity (DVD)

The Entity (Book)

This really is a must read. I looked back on the story I linked to and the details are largely correct but not entirely. Go with the book/movie and serious research if you want to go further.

It's unique and stands out because real, physical injuries occurred and very real manifestations appeared and interacted with people. All this was actually occurring, partially, while a team of professional investigators was there. It was one of those rare cases where the claims didn't stop when the cameras arrived..it intensified..and all documented.

Anyway.. If you read it, drop me a u2u and tell me what you think. I know it left an impression on me when I read it a long time ago.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
This one isn't real (sorry!), but The Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card will creep you the eff out.
If you don't want to devote time to a "not real" haunting book, then there is a short story version which is actually what I read and having not read the book might just suggest you read the short as it freaked me out when I read it.

The Lost Boys (no relation to the vampire movie).

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Ghosts: True Encounters with the World Beyond by Hans Holzer (Its the complete Hans Holzer) Its a thick 800+ page tome and is jammed packed with real ghosts, hauntings etc. Its great.

Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places by Brad Steiger is much like the Holzer book. Its also a large tome packed with stories.

Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings and Other Supernatural Locations by Dennis Hauck is a great book also.

Those are my top 3 books so far. All similar, but all have different angles on certain stories and different stories all together. All super reads on the subject and I highly recommend them. A lot of folks call that Holzer book the bible on the subject.

Ive heard that the Jeff Belanger books are pretty good too. But I have not heard much about him.

Ive also heard that the Shadow People book by Jason Offutt called "Darkness Walks: The Shadow People among us" is a frightening read. It deals STRICTLY with the Shadow People phenomenon.

And also, Brad Steigers other excellent book, which I rate lower than the other three called "Shadow World: True Encounters with beings from the Darkside". Thats another book that deals with the Shadow People.

Anyone else have any similar books to these to reccommend? And has anyone read the books by Belanger? How are they?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Awesome link and story! Never heard this one before. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Hello Blackout,

True hauntings books:
Haunted Houses: Chilling Tales from American Homes
Where the Ghosts Are: The Ultimate Guide to Haunted Houses
More Where the Ghosts Are: The Ultimate Guide to Haunted Houses
Historic Haunted America
Haunted Inns of the Southeast
Haunted Hotels: A Guide to American and Canadian Inns and Their Ghosts
Dinner and Spirits: America's Most Haunted Restaurants, Taverns & Inns
The Field Guide to North American Hauntings
True Ghost Stories (True Adventure Stories)
The Ghost Next Door: True Stories of Paranormal Encounters from Everyday People

Fiction ghost stories:
Secret of Crickley hall-James Herbert
Heart Shaped box-Joe Hill
Rose Red-Stephen King
Bag of Bones-Stephen King
The shining-Stephen King
20th century ghosts-Joe Hill
Haunted-James Herbert
Best Ghost stories-Charles Dickens
The Grin of the Dark -Ramsey Campbell
Coldheart Canyon: A Hollywood Ghost Story-Clive Barker
Spirit -Graham Masterton
The Devils of D-Day-Graham Masterton
A Stir of Echoes -Richard Matheson
Ghost Story-Peter Straub
Lost Boy, Lost Girl-Peter Straub

Hope you enjoy them

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Thank you for the three suggestions. It sounds like the first one on your list, Ghosts, may be one of my projects for the coming new year. I can't read the 2-3 books a week I once did while trucking, but an 800 page 'tome' of short stories sounds about perfect for the waiting rooms on my Son's appointments and time between college classes this semester. It's always appreciated to get another good book on this subject.

new topics

top topics

join