It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horoscope Hang-Up: Earth Rotation Changes Zodiac Signs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

If you’re the type of person who relies on mysterious-sounding locations of stars to determine your personality and outcome in life, get ready to be shocked. Read more: newsfeed.time.com...

newsfeed.time.com...

I read this story and could not believe what I was reading.. that and the fact that i laughed my ass off when i read it ..

anyway the reason why i wanted to make a thread on this is to try and separate fact from obvious fiction .. and id like your help ..
first of all , i dont agree with some of what this story says and 2nd of all it give me something to research and have fun doing it and a change from my usual run of the mill volcano and earth quake hobby..

here were my thoughts on this when i first read this :
Why does Scorpio only get 5 days a year for their sign? and wtf does the name and word Ophiuchus mean? Iv never heard of it before
if you ask me maybe they should have added a whole month to the year for this Ophiuchus guy .. and reworked their math 1000s of years ago because personally i do think that their math is way off .. but to only give Scorpio 5 days a years seems really unfair to me ....

www.ibtimes.com...

The media reports on the 13th zodiac sign and the change in the zodiac calender has sent thousands into an astrological identity crisis. However, the real meaning seems to have been lost in translation.

this 2nd story seems a bit more logical to me .. anyway my fellow ats members what do you all think of this ?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

ive read about this on ats before, and I dont have much to add other than people that know about astrology dont feel this affects horoscopes at all, and that its all nonsense... not sure where i stand on that point, but i have read that said...
but i do have a question for ats that is related to this thread... which i might make a thread about im not sure, depends if i get a good answer here...

basically if the earth rotation (the equinoxes i believe its called) has moved the stars, would that also shift our position in relation to the sun at all? for example... the point which the sun rises and sets on the landscape in a particular place... would that change?
edit on 30-12-2011 by Lagrimas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Had to log in to answer this one, if I can.

Let's see.
First opinion on the article linked.
Fluff peice.

This is how I would have written it.

The Precession of the Equinoxes (takes 25,772 Julian years),
means about every 2,147 years the suns position advances along the Zodiac.
[note this position of the sun against a zodiac house is earth centric]

We entered Aquarius around 1997 ( +/- 10 years depending on who marks the borders between signs)

.....grrrrrr
this is not coming out as clear as I hoped.

David Grouchy

edit on 30-12-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel
Why does Scorpio only get 5 days a year for their sign?

Depends on which zodiac one is using.
Some are uniform and each sign gets about the same number of days,
but this is a modern convienience, and a lot of Zodiac followers like
the older more traditional methods. In that approach some of the
constellations themselves are 'wider' than others, so it takes the
sun longer to travel through them, and some are 'narrower.'

The outrageous case of Scorpio only getting 5 days,
is because in this version someone wanted to add back in
the ancient forgotten 13th sign of the Zodiac ophiuchus.

David Grouchy

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel

and wtf does the name and word Ophiuchus mean?

The serpent bearer.

Or serpent healer, depending on who you ask.

David Grouchy

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

so does the sun come up in a different place now on the egyptian landscape on winter solstice, than it would have 3000 years ago?

Or just in relation to the stars behind earth, and the sun still rises exactly the same location ?
edit on 30-12-2011 by Lagrimas because: extra question

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Phew, I'm still a Leo.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Leos til the end!!!!!! you and me

thank Ra. Thank Horus, Thank Ra-Hoor-Khuit and Hoor-par-kraa, Thank Heru-ra-ha and thank Nuit (Nut)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Here is a little background on Ophiuchus.

www.mallorcaweb.net...

PLPL

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lagrimas

so does the sun come up in a different place now on the egyptian landscape on winter solstice, than it would have 3000 years ago?

Or just in relation to the stars behind earth, and the sun still rises exactly the same location

Option B is correct: "just in relation to the stars behind earth, and the sun still rises exactly the same location."

Though I would have changed it to say "just in relation to the stars behind the sun, "

David Grouchy

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Thanks for clearing that up.

Ok.

My knowledge of how we spin round the sun is that we are basically on a plate, as planets, Which is why I was asking...

So we follow our sun through 'its' path.

our path is its path, we are flying around it, but IT is in control of our journey.

...I assumed that would mean that 'sun events' stayed the same while 'star events' changed, but I just wanted confirmation, because Im really not that well educated in the area.

I now can be at one with the fact that we are like a spinning top moving through the equinox ( rest of universe) in this particular case our journey towards Andromeda, while spinning around the black hole at the center of the milky way?

Thanks dave.

edit on 30-12-2011 by Lagrimas because: spelling

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
According to some scriptures I have read, all of the horoscopes could be way off. I don't know how much of this is true but, my personally, I am not going to give much into a horoscope defining who I am or my outcome in life just because of what I read. They could be, they could be wrong. That does not mean they have to control you.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
horoscopes?

We are really still talking about horoscopes? No, you gotta be kidding me. That article is fake. No way did the moon move the earth off by a month. I mean that is a crazy thing to consider.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
how could this not move the seasons and the equinox off... unless of course it moved the sun as well.
...but if t has to do with stars and just the mere rotation of the earth, then it would effect time and days and not months and STAR PLACEMENT.

how can this even be without seeing the sun move wrongly as relevant to us... if it's just the rotation...everything we see in the sky would move and be changed.... the distant stars we see are of a much bigger concept that would involve the whole revolution of the earth and perhaps the entire solar system.

so it looks like something that needs to be addressed more than just horoscope news.

We should be asking if this is an isolated event or if it's going to continue happening in waves or cycles or something.

people do not need to post news like this if they are going to explain it in such half ass ways. this is not a real news article... it can't be.

Do not tell me that we are THAT stupid.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
the earth's days could speed up by spinning very fast or move it to and fro on it's axis but how would that change star placement without moving the equator. the "moon" must have pulled the earth a mighty long way, no? I'm having a lot of trouble seeing how this could simply happen without changing the earths relevance to the sun... which is much bigger concept than a moon issue.

I don't see how this could happen without messing the seasons up.... don't FARMERS need to know that crap?
edit on 30-12-2011 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackSatinDancer

I don't see how this could happen without messing the seasons up.... don't FARMERS need to know that crap?

I understand.
And I'm angry about the state of education in America because of it.

Lucklily we have software to fill in the gaps.
The simplist way to cut straight through all the confusion and drill down to a single fact, is this.

Stellarium..
Input your birth city.
Set clock to your birth day and set time to noon.
Look straight up.
Turn off atmosphere.
Turn on constellations.

And be amazed at which sign of the Zodiac the sun is actually in.

David Grouchy

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
all i keep finding is that it's part of a 26000 natural cycle where the pole will cycle all around, but does it increase at some points and go slower at others? are there ABRUBT changes? Is this one of those changes or have people been star mapping for a long time and just been giving us the wrong zodiac or something?

i still think that in this day and age, that fast changes are occurring... and they are startling and surprising many people but are getting swept under the rug by many. getting hidden under irrelevant zodiac issues.

3000bc is a long time ago to just be reporting all of the sudden "hey, by the way... your zodiac changed"

If it was so gradual as to not be noticed, surely some enthusiastic astrologer would have told me a long time ago that I was not an Aries at all.

it's like all of the sudden astrology decides to catch up overnight in the form of a poorly explained news article.

as much as astrologers try to follow trends, why did they not try to cash in on this before?

maybe i will look into the earths wobble and see if there are times when this wobble is more pronounced than at other times in this 26000 year cycle.... as opposed to the gradual thing that some seem to make it out to be... like the article i just read talking about how in 3000bc the earths poles pointed in a totally different direction that polaris. .

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I mean come on... sure one of the astronomers of of at least the past generation would have already updated this.

i am really starting to get frustrated at the way a lot of articles are written.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

maybe i will look into the earths wobble and see if there are times when this wobble is more pronounced than at other times in this 26000 year cycle.... as opposed to the gradual thing that some seem to make it out to be...

The precession of the equinoxes is pretty smooth and consistent in it's wobble.
It does have a micro wobble ontop of it's main rotation.
Here is a really nice example of how mind defying it is.

David Grouchy

Here is a direct link, embedding seems disabled on this video.
YouTube: MIT Physics Demo

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I mean come on... sure one of the astronomers of of at least the past generation would have already updated this.

i am really starting to get frustrated at the way a lot of articles are written.

Well,
The Astronomy community has been aware of all this for a while,
but Astrologers don't seem to be receptive. Here is an example.

Friend of mine, Rocket scientists, his first year at Colorado University.

Time: Day one of an intro to Astronomy class.
Setting: huge lecture hall, about 200 students.

Professor: describes modern astronomy, precession, out of date Astrology tables (this was decades ago),
and then says "Besides the whole premise of Astrology is flawed. Your barber has a greater influence of gravity on you, than does the nearest planet or star."

When suddenly a young lady stood up, red in the face and screamed at him.
"You're Wrong! You're so very Wrong!" And she stormed out.

He told me. "We never saw her at school again."

David Grouchy

top topics

join