It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive solar storm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Massive solar storm

www.dailymail.co.uk

Skywatchers will be hoping for clear skies from today because particles from a recent solar storm will slam into Earth and produce amazing Northern Lights, or auroras.

On the downside, experts expect radio blackouts for a few days, caused by the radiation from the flare – or coronal mass ejection (CME) – causing magnetic storms.

The flare is part of a larger increase in activity in the Sun, which runs in 11-year cycles. It is expected to peak around 2013.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
hmmmmmmmmmmm is this doom?
idk we will see.

i got no idea if this is bad or good so here ya go.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 28-12-2011 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Great stuff thanks.

I will be watching.

Ah yeah had to edit. I did not read properly. This was posted a long time ago I think? But still, thanks for the reminder.
edit on 28-12-2011 by fatpastyhead because: I don't read things properly

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Doom just like the last time there was a big solar flare?, or doom like the one before that?, or the one before that?. Yip end times indeed.

Be worth a drive up North i guess though.
edit on 28-12-2011 by Ixtab because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Space Weather Prediction Center wrote: ‘Category G1 (Minor) geomagnetic storms are expected 28 and 29 December due to multiple coronal mass ejection arrivals. R1 (Minor) radio blackouts are expected until 31 December.’ Devices that depend on radio waves include GPS systems, radios and mobile phones. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

dumb people will get lost in traffic..and no way to call to ask directions...

this is doom folks lol

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hardly massive.

Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet to active levels with a chance for isolated minor storm levels on day one (29 December) as multiple CMEs are expected to arrive. Quiet to unsettled level are expected on day two (30 December) as effects the previous CMEs wane. Predominantly quiet levels are expected on day three (31 December).

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

NOAA forecasters estimate a 20% to 40% chance of polar geomagnetic storms on Dec. 28-29 in response to the arrival of one or more CMEs.

I guess each news agency sees it differently?

How is that massive? I think the OP's link has blown it a..... wee bit out of proportion.If you come up with something out of the movie the Knowing, well then this title is appropriate.

spaceweather

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
is this the end of the world as we know it? or the end of a few communication links in China?

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK, TO YOUR FAVORITE SHOW, DOOM AND GLOOM!!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That's what she said.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Not sure how far south is will be visible.....but here is some info.

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AnPOYniSC9qEZhwasIa0dPAPLBIF;_ylu=X3o'___'Ntb2Qwa2lrBG 1pdAMEcGtnAzRmOWM2ZmRhLTg2MzctMzA1MS05N2NjLTVmZGM3ZWJkMjllZgRwb3MDOARzZWMDbG5fU3BhY2VBc3Ryb25vbXlfZ2FsBHZlcgNkZTIwZDQxMC0zMGRiLTExZTEtYmZiZi04MTg2ZjFk MTk2ZTA-;_ylv=3

Would be cool to see.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
A Index of 20 - not very massive I'm afraid.

========================
Space Weather Message Code: WATA20
Serial Number: 482
Issue Time: 2011 Dec 27 1431 UTC

WATCH: Geomagnetic A-index of 20 or greater predicted
NOAA Scale: Periods reaching the G1 (Minor) Level Likely
Valid for UTC Day: 2011 Dec 29
==========================

SPACE WEATHER LINK

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Hardly massive.

Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be at quiet to active levels with a chance for isolated minor storm levels on day one (29 December) as multiple CMEs are expected to arrive. Quiet to unsettled level are expected on day two (30 December) as effects the previous CMEs wane. Predominantly quiet levels are expected on day three (31 December).

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Phage...do you ever get tired of people just tossing stars at you with the threads they post...j/k

TY for correct data...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but all day when I was trying to use my phone it wouldn't ring the other line, just kept going to voicemail for some reason. Who knows. Haven't tried it today.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but all day when I was trying to use my phone it wouldn't ring the other line, just kept going to voicemail for some reason. Who knows. Haven't tried it today.

i don't believe that any major solar storm will harm especially your and only your telephone. i would think if there are outages of whatever we would first have that from spacebound systems like direct to home television via satellite.

Also there would be something in the news too.

imho the whole spaceweather discussion is more or less nonsense, because earth and all what is living on its surface managed to exist since 4.5 billion years without any much trouble due to 'spaceweather'.

it cannot effect tectonics. it won't kick you out of bed while asleep. it would not even bleach your car parked in your driveway. All whats left is fearmongering about it, and some technical issues for satellites which are already hardened to withstand radiation.
And if it effects powerlines ? .. oh well .. then it does so .. *shrug .. nothing a solar storm can cause what a severe thunderstorm would have already done here.

soooo imho opinion your phone failed because there was a technical anomaly of some kind, starting with an empty power supply to possibly your neighbour using its radio-amateur transmitter, subsequently surpressing all radio reception in the area around a few 100 meters, or the stations antenna was in low-power-mode for maintenance work, or even offline.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It's a cell phone.

Pretty much cleared up after numerous attempts. But, finally got through.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
wasn't that massive, i didn't notice it :/

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I would be very much surprised if a "massive" solar storm would hit us:

We did not have a major solar event for quite a while
but yep, it is getting more active , preparing for 2013 then!

new topics

top topics

join