It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Asian bird makes "wrong turn"....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
ATSers...I couldn't find a thread on this topic but this is a strange occurance...most animals use the Earth's magnetic field to navigate so how does a rare Asian bird make a wrong turn and wind up in the U.S.? Are the magentic poles actually flipping? No conspiracy here just curiousity!

Wrong Turn

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomKnight

Great for the bird watchers, that's for sure.

He probably just wanted to be the first one here ( Chinese Purchases Of U.S. Real Estate Poised To Rise ).

You know, the early bird catches the worm!

Kidding aside, I don't think it's time to start worrying about the poles flipping from one bird.
edit on 28/12/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
He took the red pill,unlike other hmm craneeple. Or maybe the bird got green card, who knows. I think it is more likely then a pole shift that is apparently confusing only one crane out of 8000 of his kind.
Great for birders, that's for sure.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Seems like it's a fluke. It happens. If an entire flock of them landed in the U.S. I might be a little more alarmed.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomKnight

It seems to be happening more and more these days I'm no expert in the history of it but it does seem to go back a while these things happening, their is a few questions that come to my mind though

where does it tend to happen? north hemisphere or south
what can cause these thing's and why?
is it just a natural earth thing or man made? does it effect other planets in our solar system?
what will be the implications of these things happening

and many more
but that will do for now lol does ATS have any experts on this stuff I've always been interested ever since I watched Arthur C Clarke's mysterious worlds.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
It is not so rare, to spot an exotic bird outside its normal area of distribution. Birds are kept as pets by enthusiasts. Sometimes, they escape their capture. Also some people willfully release exotic birds:

We move on to the late 19th century, when a group called the American Acclimatization Society was reportedly working on their pre-environmental-impact-statement project to introduce to the U.S. every bird mentioned in Shakespeare’s scripts. Clearly, the Bard abided birds—his works include references to more than 600 avian species. A Bronx resident, drug manufacturer Eugene Schieffelin (a street bearing his name isn’t far from my house) seems to be particularly responsible for the starlings’ arrival here. Well, his chickens have come home to roost. Pop. (The society also brought the house sparrow to our shores, a pair of which nest in a vent on the front of my other, human, next-door neighbor’s house.)

The Acclimatization Society released some hundred starlings in New York City’s Central Park in 1890 and 1891. By 1950 starlings could be found coast to coast, north past Hudson Bay and south into Mexico. Their North American numbers today top 200 million. As bird-watcher Jeffrey Rosen put it in a 2007 New York Times article, “It isn’t their fault that they treated an open continent much as we ourselves did.”

www.scientificamerican.com...

But most importantly birds have wings and can fly. So they can cross a good distance in a short time. Some birds are more adventerous than others, some miss their normal mirgration routes, some join birds of a different species and simply follow them. Also storms often catch birds and cast them far away.

Indeed spotting straggling birds is a hobby practiced by quite a number of birders. The wild chasing of rare birds is called twitching:

Twitchers. The term is British. When a rare bird shows up, twitchers are people who will drop everything and rush to the scene.

They used to have phone trees, then for a while it was beepers. It’s cell-phones and e-mail now. Here is an interesting thing: if you look back to the early days of twitching, the 1960s and ’70s, you see them using an alert system that’s eerily similar to the formal regime for planespotting developed by British civil defense during WWII. Direct copy, inspiration, accident? I wonder. Does anyone here know?

Anyway. Your classic twitcher will leave job, family, or church service behind, seize camera, binoculars and notebook, jump in the car, and roar off to the copse where the black-bellied whistling duck has appeared for only the third time in Britain since 1937.

Twitching is found in several European countries, including Ireland, Sweden and the Netherlands.

fistfulofeuros.net...

In the UK, twitching is practiced in a competitive way. The winner is he, who can spot most bird species inside the UK.
www.uk400clubonline.co.uk...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenshrew

Thanks for the info
I didn't know about European birds in the america's we sure like to play with environments eh?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It was probably planted by the Chi-coms and is infected with a new strain of H1N1.
I really don't know, but I'm just saying.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I don't live that far away from the Hiwasee reserve. Sandhill cranes are quite common here. Occasionally, Whooping Cranes join the migration. They stop here for a couple of weeks in October. This is a really weird thing for this bird. I don't even know how it got here, unless it might have followed the Whooping Cranes in the crowd.

People are coming from all over to look at this bird.

A friend of mine joked that the bird was smarter than we gave him credit for because he had the sense to get out of Japan/Asia. She was referring to the nuclear radiation.

new topics

top topics

join