It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG. My Toilet Flushed Clockwise!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I live in the Northern Hemisphere.

I'm convinced that my toilet should flush CCW.

WHAT THE HECK can make it flush CW?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
1-800-PLUMBERS

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

hmmm

decorum forbids me to add my first thoughts

try it again!!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Living in the Northern or Southern hemisphere has nothing to do with your toilet flushing CW or CCW. The Coriolis Effect has NO effect on your toilet. Your toilet makes the water go CW or CCW, not the Coriolis Effect.

en.wikipedia.org...

www2.sunysuffolk.edu...

Coriolis Effect (Force)

Once the air begins to move along the PGF, a second "apparent" force called the Coriolis Effect or Coriolis Force (CF) causes the air to deflect from its initial path. In the northern hemisphere, the CF-induced deflection is 90o to the right of the intended path. In the southern hemisphere, the CF-induced deflection is 90o to the left of the intended path. The Coriolis Force is caused by the rotation of the earth.
(View this example multimedia file [1 Mb])

As with any force that causes an object to be displaced (moved), the amount of displacement will be a function of the time that that force has been exerted on the object. At zero time, there would be no movement due to the force. As time increases, there would be a more noticeable displacement. The Coriolis force is a VERY WEAK force so it takes a fairly long time for one to notice its effects!

Therefore, the Coriolis Effect only occurs when a freely moving object travels a large distance (i.e. travels a long time.) An example would be air that is moving over hundreds of miles which takes many hours to do. Contrary to public belief, water draining in a sink is NOT affected by CF because there is not enough time for the Coriolis force to cause a noticeable displacement. Read the TRUTH ABOUT CORIOLIS

When PGF and CF act upon an air parcel, the resulting wind direction will be parallel to drawn isobars with lower isobars to the left of the wind in the northern hemisphere. Another way to imagine the wind in relation to pressure is to place one's back to the wind, sticking out the left arm. The left arm would point to lower pressure in the northern hemisphere.

Because flow is parallel to isobars, air around the center of a high pressure system in the northern hemisphere flows clockwise. Air around the center of a low pressure system in the northern hemisphere flows counter-clockwise. Direction of flow is reversed in the southern hemisphere since CF acts to the left of the wind.

If just PGF and CF are considered, air from a high pressure region can not move toward a low pressure region, thereby not allowing the atmospheric pressure to balance. It takes friction at the surface of the earth to achieve this pressure balance.

edit on 27-12-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

This is how you know when you have really woken up.

When you are even noticing what way the toilet flushes!!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by Glargod

And you post it on a Conspiracy Website.....

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

My sentiments exactly .. my first thoughts won't be posted..

I will however say, video or it didn't happen

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
reply to post by darrman

My sentiments exactly .. my first thoughts won't be posted..

I will however say, video or it didn't happen

Judah!

do you realize how easy it is to "Horizontal mirror" a video?

ye of little faith

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Were you hugging the "Porcelain Goddess" so deeply that you were looking from the
bottom up?

That would explain it.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

Good point..

We need a video, while holding up a local newspaper ( yes, while rare these creatures still exist )

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
How many people read this and then got up to go check out which direction their toilet water swirls?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
How many people read this and then got up to go check out which direction their toilet water swirls?

More than will admit it...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
reply to post by Glargod

Good point..

We need a video, while holding up a local newspaper ( yes, while rare these creatures still exist )

I'll try that then

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I *HAVE* tried to make my toilet flush the opposite direction using a jet of water out of the shower with a hose.. I was curious! .. sprayed CCW and the best I got was water going straight down .. I also tried with a bucket but the water went straight down with a slight CCW twist ..

I do believe hemisphere plays into it, but the toilets do accentuate that effect intentionally to increase spin .. helps keep things cleaner and remove ... debris =)

Edit: This was a long time ago, and because I was going to do a science experiment for school, but went with something more interesting instead .. lol

edit on 12/27/2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid

I thought about it, but the toilet is all the way in the bathroom, I'll have to check it out during my next visit.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by itsallamile

I would hope it's "all the way in the bathroom"
.. it would suck if it was "all the way in the kitchen"

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

reply to post by Glargod

considering that my neighbors cat simply sits on the lawn and just stares at me all day when i work makes me think if i too should go and notice my toilet flushing.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

reply to post by Glargod

considering that my neighbors cat simply sits on the lawn and just stares at me all day when i work makes me think if i too should go and notice my toilet flushing.

Even worse...

My cat uses the toilet!

I am starting to realise that there is more to this than meets the flush!
edit on 27-12-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

reply to post by Glargod

Even worse...

My cat uses the toilet!

I am starting to realise that there is more to this than meets the flush!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

LMAO!

Not actually joking here, one of my cats just came up and pawed the screen whilst that was playing on the monitor and through my headphones.

I will be quite alarmed if he has taken anything from it, if you get me as I am sure some of the visitors over the festive season would be offended by the noise

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join