It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 40-year-old puzzle of superstring theory solved by supercomputer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

A group of 3 researchers, Jun Nishimura (associate professor at KEK), Asato Tsuchiya (associate professor at Shizuoka University) and Sang-Woo Kim (project researcher at Osaka University) has succeeded in simulating the birth of the universe, using a supercomputer for calculations based on superstring theory. This showed that the universe had 9 spatial dimensions at the beginning, but only 3 of these underwent expansion at some point in time.

This news was posted yesterday on Physorg.com, I was just given this link by a friend and hadn't seen it posted on ATS yet. I'm just about to head out since it's Xmas Eve, I'll post my opinion/thoughts on this thread when I get to my friends house.

Thoughts?

source physorg.com
edit on 24-12-2011 by Violence because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-12-2011 by Violence because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

Please do not post whole articles from other sites.
From the Terms & Conditions: Proper Attribution for the posting of copyrighted material owned by others is defined as posting a relevant snippet of the online content not to exceed 10% of the entire piece, a properly formed link back to the source website, and a clear indication of the name of the source website
edit on 25/12/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
what if some day, physicists find a way to create a universe. would that finally prove that we are made in the image of God.

the theory of relativity, e=mc2, made possible the atomic bomb.

what would a unified superstring theory make possible. you have to ask wtf these physicists are up to with the knowledge they acquire and seek.

people dismiss physicists as geeks. but the 160,000+ dead in hiroshima and the 80,000+ dead in nagasaki would disagree.

"behold, i am become death, the destroyer of worlds" everybody probably knows this famous quote by j.robert oppenheimer, the father of the atomic bomb.

heres a warning. we are in this trouble because we acquired forbidden knowledge before our time. we were forgiven. will we be forgiven again.

or will God's wrath fall on earth again, like St. John the Revelator prophesied. God will take His sheep and kill the wolves.

i personally think it is impossible to recreate the universe. but maybe one day we can understand how God did it and be proud and in awe.

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
That is quite remarkably OP, I only wish I could understand the whole idea that the "universe was born with 3 spatial dimensions from 10-dimensional superstring theory in which spacetime has 9 spatial directions and 1 temporal direction. My mind cannot wrap around "10 dimensions."

Randome, why do you believe that "we acquired forbidden knowledge before our time. we were forgiven. will we be forgiven again." ? I mean forbidden knowledge? With all due respect that sounds a bit much.
edit on 12/24/2011 by BLKMJK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
sooooooo

what happened to the other 6 spatial dimensions?

if 3 of 9 expanded to create the universe we now occupy, does that mean, at the centre of the universe, there is a dot with an extra 6 unexpanded dimensions?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Wow, what a cool story. 9 dimensions, eh? I wonder if that was the original "design" (for lack of better term), to have 9 dimensions or if that was accidental through the chaos? Further to that, I wonder if it is possible for the universe to "evolve" it self to achieve more (or higher) dimensions (or densities)?

Originally posted by randomname
what if some day, physicists find a way to create a universe. would that finally prove that we are made in the image of God.

Not sure how creating a universe would prove that we were made in the image of God; can you elaborate on that process some?

the theory of relativity, e=mc2, made possible the atomic bomb.
what would a unified superstring theory make possible. you have to ask wtf these physicists are up to with the knowledge they acquire and seek.

I think you answered your own question a bit there; the physicists are up to seeking and acquiring knowledge towards the meaning of a unified string theory and further what could come from from that knowledge.

people dismiss physicists as geeks. but the 160,000+ dead in hiroshima and the 80,000+ dead in nagasaki would disagree.

"behold, i am become death, the destroyer of worlds" everybody probably knows this famous quote by j.robert oppenheimer, the father of the atomic bomb.

heres a warning. we are in this trouble because we acquired forbidden knowledge before our time. we were forgiven. will we be forgiven again.

Attaining the knowledge is not the cause of our "troubles" (as from your point of view as I see it anyway), it is what the people in power and in charge do with that knowledge, and that is beyond the physicists control.

or will God's wrath fall on earth again, like St. John the Revelator prophesied. God will take His sheep and kill the wolves.

Again you say? Anyway whatever, God sure is an indecisive sort, isn't he? I wish he would make up his mind and figure out what His image is before he starts creating worlds and beings in His own image, then later decides that He screwed up and has to reverse His previous decisions. For someone who is supposed to be "all-knowing", He sure lacks a lot of foresight...

i personally think it is impossible to recreate the universe. but maybe one day we can understand how God did it and be proud and in awe.

IMHO, one should not limit their possibilities, and as well, I would think we should already be in awe of how the universe was created. Isn't pride one of the deadly sins? Maybe not. Can't remember.

Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, your family and loved ones, and everyone else reading this...

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
My understanding of other dimensions beyond the 4 we live in, time completing our 4 dimensional reality, is just a play/reordering of time experiences. So I am curious and eager to learn of the descriptions of 'the other 6 hidden dimensions', without using a time reference, or I just spilled the beans of my incomprehension of more than 4 dimensions. 3 dimensions does not exist by itself if one eliminates time. Existence requires time to exist, and just fooling with time doesn't in my understanding create more than 4 dimensions of reality, its only (clever) syntax.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think I uncovered a contradiction to my above post to further illustrate my lack of understanding. In special relativity a photon traveling c will do so without experiencing passage of time, linear time passage would reach zero to the entity traveling c, if a photo was capable of perception, to a 3rd party observing the traveling photon in its own 3rd party time frame does indeed experience the passage of time it takes the photon to progress forward. The paradox is clear, light exists even if we don't see it. I seek help.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Here is another article of the topic, posted on Space.com:

"String Theorists Simulate the Big Bang"
www.space.com...

Includes a: "Visualization of a Calabi-Yau manifold, a structure representing the 6 dimensions of space-time that are curled up, according to string theory."

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Violence

I personally favor subquantum kinetics - which predicts the effects of electrogravitics. It was developed out of chemical kinatics and the author, Dr.Paul LaViolette, was disturbed by what it predicted relative to gravity - until He encountered the work of T. Townsend Brown, which "proved" the gravitational predictions of subquantum kinetics.

For more (and a link to a PDF of a book that describes this), see My thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Cheers for that, will have a read tonight when all the Christmas stuff is over

reply to post by Amaterasu

Same to you Amaterasu

Merry Xmas guys.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Violence

I had never thought of the other six (or so) dimensions as being spatial. It seems implausible that the three spatial dimensions which we know are not connected to those other six in a manner analogous to time.

How is that to be conceived, if those other six did not expand in relation to the four?

I think solving for the other six dimensions only in regards to the Big Bang, and then limiting those dimensions to a theoretical point, is not solving the whole equation.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the six (or more) theoretical dimensions were also expected at the quantum level of matter.

(Starts to read article)
Oh!

It does not limit the six unobserved dimension to the theoretical point-- it merely states that they are not unfolded and so remain unobserved, but existing in and about matter.

I see that

edit on 25-12-2011 by Frira because: starts to read article!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
bump. i am intrigued by these other 6 dimensions, maybe time decided to take this route we identify as "forward" instead of taken one of the other "dimensions". i dont know

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

If your implication is that trying to obtain this knowledge is wrong, tell me that from your cave. Since you're using the internet, powered by electricity - and a product of science - its comes across slightly hypocritical.

edit on 28-12-2011 by mcsteve because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2011 by mcsteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I'm adding this recent article to this thread, because it also involves (at least one) extra hidden dimension...

"Naked black-hole hearts live in the fifth dimension"
www.newscientist.com...

I think there is no doubt now that Black Holes exist. And thus the 5th space dimension exists within them. And so... perhaps the other 5 hidden dimensions may also still exist. I hope so, for Extended Heim Theory draws upon 1 or more of them to enable hyperspace ship flight.

top topics

join